I have had this computer for about 4 years now and it is a good time for me to upgrade (see my PC specs and add-ons in profile).

I am replacing the MOBO, adding a 4690K CPU overclock to about 4.2 GHz, 8GB RAM, 500 GB SSD and a GTX 770 video card.  The rebuild is being done by the OEM.

So in preparation, I have backed up the computer to a portable drive.  The OEM will do a clean reinstall of Win 7 Professional onto the SSD, but I think they will wipe the 2TB HDD when they do so.

On the machine now, FSX is run through the x86 Program files (because I didn't know any better).  I am thinking when the machine comes back, I will be installing FSX to the SSD along with Windows, and saving the HDD for the rest of my stuff. 

So here we go...

1. I should completely delete all FSX add-ons and FSX before shipping it to the manufacturer? (It's FSX Gold & Acceleration)

2. Is it better to just re-download the add-ons from the respective publishers, or trust the stuff on the back-up drive (especially since they are in x86 Program files)? 

3. Should I save the downloads the SSD or the HDD? 

4. I have the Bojote tweaks currently.  Is that still good or is the new FSX Fiber better?

5.  The PMDG description of how to completely uninstall FSX, is that the best way to do it?

I want to spend time flying, not tweaking when I'm done.

Thanks for your collective wisdom!

Stephen Forsgren

The best guide for reinstalling FSX is the PMDG guide - http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx. I have my installation of FSX/P3D installed in the default locations and have never had any problems but then I don't use an anti-virus program and I have disabled UAC. I cannot explain why so many people have problems with installing FSX in the default location (Program Files (x86) folder). But, if it works for them, that's great!

When you install FSX, you cannot use your old FSX.cfg, dll.xml, scenery.cfg, etc., etc., or you will have problems. Best to reinstall all of your addons but do it slowly and make sure fsx is running properly before you install another addon.

You won't need bojote's tweaks with the powerful system you will be getting (I would have paid a bit extra and got the 4790K CPU instead). I have the i7 4770K and use no tweaks except that I have raised by LOD_Radius setting to 6.5 and my Texture_Max_Load setting to 2048 (HD). I would recommend using the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide first. You will need to add the parameter highmemfix=1 in the Graphics section of your FSX.cfg. This is an actual fix and not a tweak.

You state: "The OEM will do a clean reinstall of Win 7 Professional onto the SSD, but I think they will wipe the 2TB HDD when they do so."

My response: The 2TB HDD does not need to be wiped out by them but, if they do, that would be nice. If not, I would reformat it and maybe install some of your addons there, especially any photoscenery addons which consume so much disk space.

Hope this helps. Since this is the CTD Forum where you posted this topic, I will move it to the FSX Hardware Forum where it belongs. Good luck on the reinstallation of FSX and your addons.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Thank you for the suggestions, Jim!

Just wondering why the 4790K versus the 4690K?  I know it has a higher initial speed, but what else would make it better? 

I already have been reviewing the install guide and the CTD guide (great resources, thank you!), plan to take my time reinstalling everything.

Stephen Forsgren

Just wondering why the 4790K versus the 4690K?  I know it has a higher initial speed, but what else would make it better?

This link shows some good comparisons - http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-4790K-vs-Intel-4690K. Your selection is $100 cheaper and I see that as the only advantage over the 4790K. Your choice is probably the best at least when it comes to the price.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I went ahead and ordered the 4790K versus the 4690K and going to start without an overclock.

Once it comes back, I will be spending a lot of time reloading the flight sim stuff.

So FSX to the SSD, but how about the PMDG A/C, Q400. On the SSD I am assuming.

Only scenery I have is FTX Global, ASN, plus FSDT & FlightBeam airports. Do those go on the SSD or the HDD?

Stephen Forsgren

Just swapped my i5 4670k for an i7 4790k this week (got offered one at a daft price).  Got it clocked to 4.5ghz without even trying, took about 2 minutes

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427