Sign in to follow this  

Weird grey dots/spots popping up all the time

Not only has performance gone down on my new top of the range PC, but I also have grey dots/spots popping in and out all the time all over the place. Looks a bit like weird little spots of shadow or something? If you compare the two pictures you should be able to see them: they are different all the time and popup all over the scenery at random places, so not only in spots like these but also where there are trees or whatever. These shots were taking within 2 seconds or so. It's highly annoying so see spots like these popping in and out all the time: completely spoils the immersion.

14455488110_237dee030c_o.jpg

14642156195_6e4a1014ea_o.jpg

That is Autogen trees having a hard time rendering.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Sometimes the dots are lines: wouldn't expect problematic autogeen trees to look like lines. And why would they have a hard time to be rendered? There hardly is any autogen where I took those screenshots. I never had this on my old PC either: I think I would have if this is autogen having problems...?

Sometimes the dots are lines: wouldn't expect problematic autogeen trees to look like lines. And why would they have a hard time to be rendered? There hardly is any autogen where I took those screenshots. I never had this on my old PC either: I think I would have if this is autogen having problems...?

Maybe a hardware problem? Can it be that your new GPU is a faulty one?

Spirit

Maybe a hardware problem? Can it be that your new GPU is a faulty one?

Spirit

Crysis 3 is running (and looking!) absolutely awesome so there certainly isn't a hardware problem here. Also 3DMark 11 did well. If there was really something wrong with the hardware, those two would have showed me that.

I think I will play a little with the shadows and tessellation settings to see if it has anything to do with those. The spots look like very small spots of shadows somehow.

Crysis 3 is running (and looking!) absolutely awesome so there certainly isn't a hardware problem here. Also 3DMark 11 did well. If there was really something wrong with the hardware, those two would have showed me that.

I think I will play a little with the shadows and tessellation settings to see if it has anything to do with those. The spots look like very small spots of shadows somehow.

Wish you good luck for solving the problem.

Spirit

Jeroen,

A couple of suggestions if I may.

1. Delete the P3D Shader folder and restart P3D to rebuild them.

2. Try a different driver version. Also delete the Shader folder when trying new drivers.

I have been drooling over the GTX7806GB for awhile and would expect this card to be stellar with P3DV2.2. Very surprised to see it not working so well for you.

Good luck!

Lyn

Thanks for the suggestions, Lyn. I already deleted the shaders etc. and it didn't help. I am a bit reluctant to try another driver on my brand new installed system... I like my OS to be clean and lean and uninstalling and reinstalling drivers never seems clean to me. ^_^ If I really can't solve this I will try that though.

Yes, I have to say the GTX780 6GB is disappointing. For P3D at least. I expected things to be smoother than with my GTX580, not less smooth. Sure, my new PC is giving me higher fps but I want smoothness. The kind of smoothness I had on my old PC. ^_^

the GTX780 6GB is disappointing

Jeroen the 6Gb is really only useful if you are running triple monitors, extreme resolutions or both. You haven't mentioned that your monitor/s has changed as part of your upgrade so I assume you're still at 1920 x 1080 on the Samsung 27. If so your card is overkill.

I like my OS to be clean and lean and uninstalling and reinstalling drivers never seems clean to me.
  I would do this first out.  It's the most likely source.   A clean install means to remove the old .inf file as well as the .dll or .sys.   It used to be that their wasn't even an option.  NVidia doesn't leave anything around from the old to give themselves headaches.   Their installer does it right.