Sign in to follow this  
flyaway

My FSX farewell

Tired of graphic issues, spending more time tweaking that flying, stutters, having to trade eye candy for smoothness.

My 4770k running at 4.5GHZ and gtx780 with an SSD for FSX surely helped but still...

Loved some features of X-Plane 10 but missed a bunch more from FSX, and vicecersa. Theres no perfect flight simulation software as of 2014.

I recently decided to sell my trackir 5, yoke and rudder pedals on ebay because it was just sitting there..

Perhaps I will be back one day if Microsoft truly decides to make a new Flight Simulation Program, (aka not another microsoft flight) I have heard some news about it, and I think nobody else can give us the best simulator.

FSX was the best thing in 2006, but lets say it's now outdated. Computers these days are 16 times more powerful than they were 8 years ago according to Moore's law, so I will be back, when a better more optimized simulator is made..

As does my FSX... the trap many seem to fall into, is to add all kinds of detailed addons to FSX, to the point of performance going in the tank - and then resorting to tweaking and snake-oil to restore performance.

Instead of removing the addons that caused the problem.

It is like overloading the camel and attempting to get it going again by braiding it's tail..

Bert

+1 I agree with Bert. Meanwhile Prepar3D is coming along, but FSX is hard to beat.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

It is like overloading the camel and attempting to get it going again by braiding it's tail..

:LMAO:

That is why my current simulator is FS2004. Sure, it has it's limitations, but it was my first sim and it isn't as bugy as FSX.

Sure, it has it's limitations, but it was my first sim and it isn't as bugy as FSX.

To each his own. My experience has been the complete opposite; FSX runs with no problems and FS9 still manages to CTD on occasion.

From my perspective issues of basic performance in FSX with today's hardware is not so much a big deal.  We need a new sim that doesn't require you to buy hundreds or thousands of dollars of addons to transform it from a 2006-era game into a true simulation.  P3D has some performance enhancing stuff, but does P3D give you good Mesh, or Landclass, or the kind of ultra-detailed airports we expect today, or camera affects programs like Ezdok, or Rex quality clouds, or ASN quality weather, not to mention airplanes?  No.  You still have to buy all that and figure out a way to make all of those things play together, and those who claimed that P3D was a "no tweak" appear to have been exaggerating, or maybe just talking about a Vanilla build.  The FSX lineage (including P3D) appears to be a little bleak right now.  I'm really starting to pay more attention to the developments in DCS, and starting to consider branching out into things like IL-2 or Rise of Flight. 

What people forget is that P3D is a continuation of ESP not FSX; as such it is geared to an entirely different market.

The only option for a future-proof sim with backward compatibility is Prepar3d at this moment. It's still under development so we must give it some time. So don't expect that all the addons are aviabele for P3D in only a few months after release. Approach it like a new sim.

Like many have stated. My FSX is running amazingly well with the likes of ORBX, FSDT, FB, PMDG etc etc. The only thing I need to drop down is my UT2 traffic sliders. Airline traffic sits at 50%.

Perhaps my move the P3D will happend in about 12 months when it's matured. By then PMDG should be sorted as well as some other developers.

Big mistake. I've NEVER had a crash or OOM with FSX. No stutters. 20-30 FPS. All sliders right except water. Get rid of the add-ons and the .cfg tweaks and enjoy the flight.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

:lol:  I have the same setup as the OP but I'm OC to 4.7. I have a ton of addons and my FSX is running the best it has ever been. No problems, no crashes and I'm getting a consistent 30+ fps. I couldnt be happier  :Party:

:lol:  I have the same setup as the OP but I'm OC to 4.7. I have a ton of addons and my FSX is running the best it has ever been. No problems, no crashes and I'm getting a consistent 30+ fps. I couldnt be happier  :Party:

Ditto