Sign in to follow this  
flyaway

My FSX farewell

I can relate to all the issues. Just 2 days ago I had FSX running smoothly and the next day without any changes to my system or configuration for FSX I only get CTD whenever I pressed "Fly Now"  for Free flight. 

It appears that if I delete all the files created by FSX in folder -  AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX  everything seems back to normal the next time I run it.

FSX is becoming more of a test platform for me. I can learn how to build and modify with it.

Keith Guillory

Tired of graphic issues, spending more time tweaking that flying, stutters, having to trade eye candy for smoothness.

My 4770k running at 4.5GHZ and gtx780 with an SSD for FSX surely helped but still...

Loved some features of X-Plane 10 but missed a bunch more from FSX, and vicecersa. Theres no perfect flight simulation software as of 2014.

I recently decided to sell my trackir 5, yoke and rudder pedals on ebay because it was just sitting there..

Perhaps I will be back one day if Microsoft truly decides to make a new Flight Simulation Program, (aka not another microsoft flight) I have heard some news about it, and I think nobody else can give us the best simulator.

FSX was the best thing in 2006, but lets say it's now outdated. Computers these days are 16 times more powerful than they were 8 years ago according to Moore's law, so I will be back, when a better more optimized simulator is made..

I am 100% with you that FSX can be a handful and annoying if it doesn't respond to command. I have a reasonable system based on a 6 core intel chip and a 4 gig gtx 680. I was experiencing all kinds of trouble with the sim until I turned off hyperthreading and removed affinity mask from the .cfg file. Global and Global vector from ftx are also on this system. ASNext weather and REX 4 Textures Direct graphics, also.

FSX is amazingly smooth and graphically awesome and you should be able to get better performance with your setup. Sometimes my frames drop as low as 25 but it's not noticeable. Perservere. The Golden .CFG file awaits.

Jon

Lets compare the flights sims to Windows operating systems..

FS9 - Just like Windows XP.. just keeps on going.

FSX - Just like Windows Vista.. sux!

P3D - Just like Windows 7 (or 8) .. ongoing improvements, a few querks & compatibility issues, & the latest.

X-Plane - Just like Linux .. what more is there to say?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

FSX - DX10 Just like Windows 7.. Fantastic!

Try the free version here on Avsim.  Not as complete as the payware version but will give you a good idea of what Dx10 can do.

Randall

I agree. Latest version of the free version @avsim Lib Just about has all the features of the payware version.

DX10 Shader Fixes V3.2.3. These are a set of shader fixes for DX10 Preview mode in FSX. The patch should not effect DX9 in any way. It addresses the following bugs in the DX10 preview:

1) Flashing runways/taxiways
2) Yellow/white runway markings transparency
3) Opaque chain fences
4) Progressive Taxi markings missing
5) Missing night scenery/semi-transparent dusk scenery (often misdescribed as missing night textures)
6) Some addon cars with black headlights
7) Softer VC shadow
8) Eliminates false sun on VC roof and side wall
9) ORBX FTX Global lights with black background rectangles fixed

Also included are an optional replacement water shade, aircraft lights package and an optional replacement background texture. This can replace the light blue DX10 uses and is close to what DX9 uses in the same circumstances.

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=185080

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Well in my case, everything is vice versa. I pretty happy with FSX in the last few months, when I think of simmin I start to shimmer from happiness. :) At last, everything is just in place, thanks to DX10 and Steve's DX10 Fixer, which I luckily bought  right on the start. Tested also FSPS Fiber Accelerator, it additionally brings smoothness and stability in performance, so the future is bright. OpenLC EU is on the door, and I will buy SAITEK Pro Flight Yoke system today, so hooray, best days of summing are very close. :)

FSX is like the love of your life, it can frustrate or even cheat on you, but you will love it forever. :P

In my world it's like Win8, better performance than X-Plane and P3D1/2.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

+1 DX10, since moving I have never had an OOM nor any problems and I don't have the strongest system. Sometimes with FSX you just have to forget about performance expectations and just enjoy what you have. I have tried P3D and performance is terrible plus the very best addons like the T7 do not work. No simulator compares to DX10 FSX for me which to be honest with tweaks and tailored to the system is the most optimized sim out there. With all the new scenery developers and some fantastic things to look forward to like the T7 SP2, FSLabs 320, QW 787 etc, FSX has never looked better.

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

I agree. Latest version of the free version @avsim Lib Just about has all the features of the payware version.

DX10 Shader Fixes V3.2.3. These are a set of shader fixes for DX10 Preview mode in FSX. The patch should not effect DX9 in any way. It addresses the following bugs in the DX10 preview:

1) Flashing runways/taxiways

2) Yellow/white runway markings transparency

3) Opaque chain fences

4) Progressive Taxi markings missing

5) Missing night scenery/semi-transparent dusk scenery (often misdescribed as missing night textures)

6) Some addon cars with black headlights

7) Softer VC shadow

8) Eliminates false sun on VC roof and side wall

9) ORBX FTX Global lights with black background rectangles fixed

Also included are an optional replacement water shade, aircraft lights package and an optional replacement background texture. This can replace the light blue DX10 uses and is close to what DX9 uses in the same circumstances.

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=185080

I have DX11 currently installed.....Will this fix work with it?

I have DX11 currently installed.....Will this fix work with it?

Yes, DX is backward compatible., but FSX is not DX11 capable. P3D is I believe.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Installed on Windows 7 like a month after release. It's been a rock solid install.

Umm, they still sell the retail disc at stores, online. So does that qualify as in business?

supporter.jpg

We have to be honest about FSX:  without these plethora of add-ons, FSX is near useless IMHO.  Ugly, incorrectly terrained, lite weight shallow aircraft.

FSX is really only useful as a platform for add-ons.

Agree 100% 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Like others have said, FSX has never run better, especially running dx10 with the fixer. For me, P3D is just not there yet and there are major performance issues where in FSX I do not. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Well in my case, everything is vice versa. I pretty happy with FSX in the last few months, when I think of simmin I start to shimmer from happiness. :) At last, everything is just in place, thanks to DX10 and Steve's DX10 Fixer, which I luckily bought  right on the start. Tested also FSPS Fiber Accelerator, it additionally brings smoothness and stability in performance, so the future is bright. OpenLC EU is on the door, and I will buy SAITEK Pro Flight Yoke system today, so hooray, best days of summing are very close. :)

FSX is like the love of your life, it can frustrate or even cheat on you, but you will love it forever. :P

In my world it's like Win8, better performance than X-Plane and P3D1/2.

+1. Have just returned to FSX and DX10 after a frustrating six weeks trying to get P3D to work properly.

Finally gave up on Friday and put a fresh install of FSX with DX10 on my SSD. Smooth as silk despite having an older system. Before you give up on FSX - try Steve's DX10 fixer. It worked for me!

I have no cfg tweaks, no FPS limiter or V Sync. Just a fresh FSX with DX10. Works a treat.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Ugly, incorrectly terrained, lite weight shallow aircraft.

That's because it was made in 2006 on two DVDs for pretty much everyone and not in 2012 on an entire SSD for pseudo-professional armchair captains.

X-Plane - Just like Linux .. what more is there to say?

That comparison doesn't work as Linux is free and X-Plane isn't. Try OSX as an analogy.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

That comparison doesn't work as Linux is free and X-Plane isn't. Try OSX as an analogy.

He should have said:

X-Plane - Just like OSX

FlightGear - Just like Linux