Sign in to follow this  
flyaway

My FSX farewell

I bought FSX Deluxe Gold with acceleration in 2008 but never tried to install it until recently. It couldn't even install on windows 7

I bought FSX when it was released.

It has run perfectly since day one on both XP-64 and W7-64 with $3000 worth of addons installed.

I think your problem may lie somewhere other than FSX and Win7.

The majority here have FSX running perfectly, how else would there have been so many addons sold for it over all these years ?

So it isn't FSX, it's ton of stuff that platform is handling.

That's what I keep telling my brother. We had a conversation about this yesterday. XPlane and Prepar3D are basically the same way, I mentioned to him.

Interesting thread!  Keep the camel lightly loaded only last until Win7 is out of service, so 5 more years?  Hopefully by then a clear alternative has emerged, or like the OP.  I would just quit as well.  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Davinci,

I understand.

Stan

I think the metaphor fits.  Again.....your opinion is valuable.....to you.

Stan

Beech Papa,

I love your comparisons and contrasts.  I have heard too many stories of home built computers that just didn't work out well for FSX.  These stories are all over AVSIM.  If I were capable of building a super computer (Formula Race Car), I might give it a try.  Jetline is NOT a boxed computer.  It is built by someone with my same interests, and that person knows what he is doing.  His skills and I might add, flawless renditions, are worth a price...TO ME.  This is my 2nd Jetline, and it is built VERY SPECIFICALLY for the hobby that consumes my free time.  I work hard all day, and when I fly...I don't want to tweak incessently, or worry about my build. To me, like many business people, TIME IS MONEY!  Jetline not only builds the perfect FSX computer IMHO, but they provide LIFETIME service with their phone being picked up within 2 rings.  They are not in India...they are in Tampa, FLA. An English speaking person (Greg or Ken) will work with me regarding any issues, and I can assure you, they will solve the problem.  The business that I own provides service that often times, exceeds my competitors, and very often, my customers are willing to pay for that exceptional service, along with a great product.

That's the way I think....and it has served me well.

Stan

Beech Papa,

I love your comparisons and contrasts.  I have heard too many stories of home built computers that just didn't work out well for FSX.  These stories are all over AVSIM.  If I were capable of building a super computer (Formula Race Car), I might give it a try.  Jetline is NOT a boxed computer.  It is built by someone with my same interests, and that person knows what he is doing.  His skills and I might add, flawless renditions, are worth a price...TO ME.  This is my 2nd Jetline, and it is built VERY SPECIFICALLY for the hobby that consumes my free time.  I work hard all day, and when I fly...I don't want to tweak incessently, or worry about my build. To me, like many business people, TIME IS MONEY!  Jetline not only builds the perfect FSX computer IMHO, but they provide LIFETIME service with their phone being picked up within 2 rings.  They are not in India...they are in Tampa, FLA. An English speaking person (Greg or Ken) will work with me regarding any issues, and I can assure you, they will solve the problem.  The business that I own provides service that often times, exceeds my competitors, and very often, my customers are willing to pay for that exceptional service, along with a great product.

Stan

I understand where you are coming from. If they deliver a good product and have an excellent customer service then maybe it's worth it.

For me, I have a lot of free time so I can search the internet for the parts I need and can afford, then I spend an afternoon putting it all together. After I'm done, press the power button and everything works, I'm very happy. I guess I just enjoy it and even If I had the money to buy the most powerful PC on earth I'd rather put it all together by myself as it's most rewarding IMHO. 

Regards,

What people forget is that P3D is a continuation of ESP not FSX; as such it is geared to an entirely different market.

Remarks like this often come up in the FSX vs P3D discussion and I don't understand the point trying to be made. To quote Wikipedia: Microsoft ESP is the commercial-use version of "Flight Simulator X SP2". Is this not purely a marketing distinction rather than technical one? Why is it relevant here? (Not trying to be provocative or cheeky - I just don't get it!)

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Beech Papa,

Stan

Stan, 

Let me clarify my opinion a bit, I can tell looking at the specs that the Jetline Systems PC would be fast at basic, and blazing fast if optioned out appropriately. I only meant that it comes in a box to your doorstep, not to Jetline. Jetline obviously chooses components, installs them, and then chooses and installs drivers/software. They are system integrators. It’s a respectable business. Dell, HP, Compaq, even IBM and Apple to a certain degree are all system integrators. But a guy building his own computer is a system integrator too, and can be quite an effective one if he knows what he’s doing, and studies up a bit. Those people tend to understand the software side too, and strive for clean running bloat-free systems. Some people even take it to a level of art, pouring hours into custom cases and cooling systems that look like modern forms of art or museum pieces. 

Not saying that there is no value in what Jetline Offers, especially for FSX. Some people just aren’t interesting in doing computer integration, or just want the peace of mind they won’t be stuck dealing with problems alone in case of disaster. Personally, I’ve worked with these dastardly things my whole life, so it’s not an issue. But for others that choice is completely understandable. But a homemade computer shouldn't necessarily bring to mind images of tangled wires, budget motherboards, cheap parts, or Kia (not that Kia doesn't make respectable cars... I should stop using them as a pinata). Jetline though, as I stated, builds Formula cars. But you can find the same exact parts to build that Formula car yourself too, probably for much cheaper. And that’s not that’s not the only reason I like to go the homebuilt route... It can be ALOT of FUN to build that Formula car. The idea that it would be fun to build a PC might sound crazy to you, but as you stated, it's a matter of perspective. 

Ethan

Even after the thousandth build, there is nothing as satisfying as pushing the power button for the first time and watching the UEFI screen come up. Better than sex.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

If I had the time...and I had the talent, I would try to build one.   MAYBE after I retire, I will give it a shot.  I admire your skills....really!

Stan

i hope one day CAE makes sim software for home use but i figure the price would be a bit HIGH :-0 ...

here is another video

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Even after the thousandth build, there is nothing as satisfying as pushing the power button for the first time and watching the UEFI screen come up. Better than sex.

Yep, the foreplay starts with reading hardware reviews, and that glorious initial bootup is just... well, you can use your imagination.

If I had the time...and I had the talent, I would try to build one. MAYBE after I retire, I will give it a shot. I admire your skills....really!

Stan

If the time comes and you ever decide to give it a shot, just let me know, I would be glad to link you a handful of detailed and well explained You Tube tutorials. :)

If I had the time...and I had the talent, I would try to build one.   MAYBE after I retire, I will give it a shot.  I admire your skills....really!

Selecting the components is actually the worst part. For all the rest, there should be enough tutorials out there. ^_^

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

That day may come....and I will definitely reach out to you experienced people.

Stan

I used to build my own systems, but I found that if I had a problem with a component it was up to me to get the part replaced and I was stuck with the cost of shipping the defective part to the factory. Now I just use a local computer shop to build me a system with the parts I select and the labour costs are less than what it cost me to RMA a couple of defective parts that I had in one of my self assembled systems.