Sign in to follow this  
tjeuten

Proper technique for manual landing with autothrottle (ILS)

How are you setting up your speed?  This is what I do.  You  should be as flaps 5 as you near the approach, and set your speed to the "15" tick, once the glideslope comes alive gear down and flaps 15, set the speed to Vref +5.  Fly that speed until 100 feet and I dis-engage A/T and go to idle at 10 feet.

This is how the 777 instructor guided me on hand flying while keeping A/T on/

Paul Gugliotta

A common term amongst pilots is "A good landing is made at the top of the glide-slope".

What this means in effect is that you should arrive at that point with the a/c already configured for the ILS descent and at the correct speed.

During the descent reduce your speed in stages (usually linked to flaps/gear extension) so that you cross the threshold at Vat+5 (or more if a crosswind).

For example join the localiser at 180kts, reduce speed to the placarded setting as you engage the glide slope. At about 7DME you should be at around 140kts and at 4DME reduce to Vat+ .

If you have the rwy in sight and it present a clear trapeziod shape keep it steady. If it sinks reduce power. If it rises increase power. Obviously your AT will do this for you so all you need to do is adjust the nose. However, that could potentially put the a/c into an unatural landing configuration. So, it's attention to detail all the way down. If you're having to make large inputs at 500ft then expect a go-around.

Make sure your engines don't drop to idle. You need plenty of power in reserve in case you have to abort.

This is what I've noticed when doing a manual landing with the AT on. If you pitch the nose up the the AT will increase power to keep the speed in the MCP, nose down and it will decrease power.

What I usually do is leave the AT on and trim the plane. I've seen this done on 777 on one of those pilots eye video.

I've never had to disconnect AT and all my landings were good

You said, on the NGX, you'd disconnect the A/T and on the T7 you won't. Why? Every aircraft manufacturing company "recommends" leaving the A/T on, but especially on windy days, disconnecting it is much easier. (thats what pilots and my common sense told me at least)  Look at Lufthansa for example, they have the company policy that, in manual flight, you HAVE to disconnect the autothrust which makes a lot of sense and is also not as boring as leaving it on in my opinion. Also, just try to as minor yoke/thrust inputs as possible to keep an steady approach. 

You said, on the NGX, you'd disconnect the A/T and on the T7 you won't. Why? Every aircraft manufacturing company "recommends" leaving the A/T on, but especially on windy days, disconnecting it is much easier. (thats what pilots and my common sense told me at least)  Look at Lufthansa for example, they have the company policy that, in manual flight, you HAVE to disconnect the autothrust which makes a lot of sense and is also not as boring as leaving it on in my opinion. Also, just try to as minor yoke/thrust inputs as possible to keep an steady approach. 

First thing, Boeing does not have Auto thrust.   Second,  Lufthansa does not have that policy across all fleets.  They operate  pretty much  like every other company.  Please check your facts before spreading misinformation. 

Rob Prest