Sign in to follow this  
vortex95

Strange Phenomenon Observed

Today as I was flying around Hawaii in Carenado's C206, I switched windows to Windows Task Manager. It was on top of FSX's screen as I was still able to monitor my flight progress. However, my FPS took a massive increase with the Task Manager in front of FSX. Hope everyone can understand me so far. Further testing shows an FPS increase with other windows opened just like Task Manager was, as well as drop down menus. Kinda weird but hopefully this is a topic that has been covered so someone can give me tips to have this continue without the windows up. I'll be glad to try and explain further if I didn't do such a hot job earlier. Thanks

I've never experienced this before - it is for sure an interesting observation though. The FPS drop might be because the cursor is over the FSX window. Usually if my cursor is visible on the FSX screen I experience a drop of 5-6 FPS.

The FPS drop might be because the cursor is over the FSX window. Usually if my cursor is visible on the FSX screen I experience a drop of 5-6 FPS.

I remember reading before that this has something to do with FSX rendering the cursor as well a picking up on clickspots. I would suspect this is what is being observed here.

It's just one of those FSX things, I suppose. Another quirk along the same lines is getting lower FPS in windowed mode if the window touches the taskbar.

Yeah FSX has it's quirks but I still love it.  :wub:

Hope I didn't confuse you fellas with my wording. Its a FPS gain I'm getting, not a drop. Also note I am using Windows 7. Just wish I could find a way for this to stay even without a window being open.

It's a glitch in the frame rate reader, it gets fooled in seeing more frames with another window open. I get the same thing. You really aren't gaining frames.