Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Does anyone know of a list of airports that are outdated in default FSX?

I'm sure that just about all of them are out of date.  They're based on very old info, and even if runways haven't been added or removed you can bet many of the runway numbers have changed, NAVAIDs around the airport, and fixes too.

Best to search for airport updates here on AVSIM, but use Google too because there are other sources for updated AFCADs and Scenery.

FYI:  You're question has been asked several times this year alone, so you might also consider searching the forums (Google will get you there as well).  I know that I've posted replies to this question and provided additional information in those replies.

Take care.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I've seen very few that have any changes, but I typically avoid the largest airports.  My home field, F00, has been built up quite a bit and the runway extended.  I was able to edit that easily enough.  A lot of small airports simply aren't complete with all the buildings.

Hook

How easy is that to do? I've never touched ADE (is it?) could someone with little programming experience add buildings and stuff to an airfield??  Cheers.

Adding buildings and stuff to an airfield is easy; adding exact models of the buildings and stuff is a great deal more time consuming.

Best to search for airport updates here on AVSIM, but use Google too because there are other sources for updated AFCADs and Scenery.

I agree. I do this before I fly anywhere, but it gets tedious. I wish someone would compile all AFCADs that actually fix the broken scenery into one package.

How easy is that to do?

Let's just say that the first one is always the hardest.  :) 

Putting down a new hangar is easy enough.  Getting the hanger in exactly the right place, at the right size, and adding aprons and taxiways, then finding out that the original version of the airport you're working with only superficially resembles the real thing and having to basically start again from scratch... that's less easy.  I spent a lot of time in Google Earth measuring stuff, then transferring it to the editor.

It's probably harder than you want to do, but you won't know it until you're deep enough into the project that you want to keep going anyway.  Don't let that stop you.  :)  It started with a single water tower and ended up being most of the airport, and I'm glad I did it.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I agree. I do this before I fly anywhere, but it gets tedious. I wish someone would compile all AFCADs that actually fix the broken scenery into one package.

That seems like an impossible task, considering the fact that almost every single default airport in FSX is outdated, inaccurate and lacking

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Yeah I tried to plan a flight using flightaware. No bueno! I guess it closed and they reopened a safer airport.

Sad. I cut my teeth on that approach with the default 747 back in the day. I didn't know anything back then!

supporter.jpg

I avoid O'Hare like the plague. My only no-fly zone in FSX. It's just too much of a headache. Having the wrong heading or frequency is one thing, but O'Hare is problem after problem. You have to be a cartographer just to figure out what runway to land at.

Oddly enough, no payware company has touched it either, perhaps due to the constant changes there and inevitable headache.

FSDT has done it, then offered a free update to include one of the new runways, but then they added another runway so the FSDT version is once again missing one. FSDT has said they will update it again at some point in the future. Tough airport to keep up to date.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yeah I tried to plan a flight using flightaware. No bueno! I guess it closed and they reopened a safer airport.

Sad. I cut my teeth on that approach with the default 747 back in the day. I didn't know anything back then!

Yeah it sucks for the sim world, but it's good for real world flying!

FSDT has done it, then offered a free update to include one of the new runways, but then they added another runway so the FSDT version is once again missing one. FSDT has said they will update it again at some point in the future. Tough airport to keep up to date.

A new runway already??? Wow. That airport is not even the busiest in the US!

I would pay big money for the following it was in a globally updated package:

1. AFCAD updater

2. Freq updater

3. Runway updater

4.Sloped runways

5. Closed airports

6. New airports.

supporter.jpg

I would pay big money for the following it was in a globally updated package:

1. AFCAD updater

2. Freq updater

3. Runway updater

4.Sloped runways

5. Closed airports

6. New airports.

I agree.

Someone did something similar for free. What he did is update the magnetic heading for aiports' ILS systems. http://forum.avsim.net/topic/336155-magnetic-variation-updates-for-fs9-and-fsx/

Ok, didn't know about that one. That's cool they are updating it though. FSDT is usually good about delivering on promised updates.