Sign in to follow this  
Kermit_70

Active Sky gauge on F33A?

Hello,

I recently installed Active Sky Next and have their gauge (a radar gauge to visualise weather generated by ASN) as a pop-up window. It works fine, but it would be more realistic to have it embedded in the virtual cockpit on my Bonanza F33A. 

I have very little idea of how to do it. I know I should add something in the Virtual Cockpit paragraphs in panel.cfg and maybe something in gauge.cfg, but really not sure of the details...

Can anybody help/hint?

I will share the result when finished.

Thanks!

I imagine Bert Pieke will be your best source on how to accomplish this task. I use ASN on a network basis with my F33A and other aircraft and if I recall correctly, I don't believe the ASN Virtual Gauge option is possible with network setups.

In any case, I would appreciate seeing a snapshot of your finished F33A VC. I think there are more than just a few of us F33A diehard fans.

Les Parson

You will have to edit the panel.cfg file for the F33.

1. Look for the popup window and write down the ASN gauge name.

2. Try replacing the two ADF radios

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Vcockpit03]

gauge00=BonF33!Radios2,  3,283,331,110
//gauge01=BonF33!adf1,  2,143,330,67
//gauge02=BonF33!adf2,  3,213,330,67

gauge01=your!ASNgauge, 2,143,330,134  // replace gauge name

Bert

Many thanks, Bert. I will give it a try later tonight and let you know.

Is it correct to say that with my Garmin WAAS GPS 430 (RealityX) I won't really need the ADF radios, anyway? Is there an instance when you still would like to tune to a NDB, even with GPS on board?

Can the NAV frequency of the GPS be tuned to an NDB, anyway?

Many thanks!

ADF radios are used less and less nowadays,  but the reason I suggested this particular approach is that it frees up some space in the panel.. which you need to put in the other gauge.

Bert

update:

I tried Bert's suggestion and it works, excepet that the embedded xgauge is all stretched out in x, because now its x/y ratio is not right.

As it is, is useless and looks horrible.

In the past 2 hours I tried to make room for a larger xgauge (wide330, high248, to get original ratio) but without success.

In essence, I am not able to move the transponder down....

Can this be done?

If not, I give up and use the xgauge as pop-up...

Thanks!

Greetings,

Sometimes in the VC you have to play with the height to get it to look correct. That is, the original ratio may not work because of the panel design, gauge design, phase of the moon and such. I've had success adjusting the height even if it wound up being an incorrect ratio - it usually looks good and works well.

Respectfully,

Brian

The way Carenado has sliced up the radio stack, you cannot make the gauge taller, but you can make it narrower..

Bert

Yes I tried to make it narrower, to maintain correct ratio, but underneath I still see some "phantom" (low resolution and not functional) version of the two ADF that I thought I had taken out... The only thing I did to take them out was (as suggested) to comment out the two gauges lines in panel.cfg...

Any idea what these phantom images of ADF are? Can I get rid of them? I would still be happy with a smaller but in-ratio version of the xgauge, but not one out-of ratio.

Thanks!

You are seeing the background image... try overlaying with a black panel filler or if you have the RXP GNS gauges,

use rxpgns!plate.

Example:

gauge01=your!ASNgauge, 2,143,180,134 

gauge02=rxpgns!plate, 182,143,150,134 

Bert

update:

the rxpgns plate is in principle a good idea. I can hide the two phantom ADF part of the background.

Unfortunately I cannot hide the black horizontal line that used to separate the two ADF radios...

So I end up with the xgauge cut in half by a 3mm black line...

Any idea how to get rid or hide that line? We are very close to a solution!

Thanks

This is where Carenado's cockpit design gets in the way.. 

For reasons that I do not understand, they choose to chop their radio stacks into slivers, and if the division shows through, I know no way of removing it...  Sorry!

Bert

OK, Bert, thank you.

Just 3 final questions, before I really give up:

1) I would like to try the "black panel filler" you mentioned above (I only tried the rxpgns!plate so far... How do I get it?

2) can you confirm there is no way to move the transponder down?

3) could I try to put the xgauge below the transponder, instead? What would be the correct panle and coordinate then?

thanks!

1.  Send me a PM with your email address and I can send you an XML gauge

2/3.  The space below the transponder cannot be used.. just try to make the Transponder taller and see what happens

ps  you can put your gauge in place of the RMI...  :huh:

Bert