Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

XPX has landed on Steam

Awesome! :) X-Plane is definitely my sim of choice nowadays. It use to be FSX then P3D, not it's just X-Plane. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I hope X-plane won't start adapting to the taste of the "casual gamer" like one very well known developer once did to us...

X-plane is not for the "casual video gamer", but this is largely what the Steam user base is made up of and who will now be introduced to X-plane. I think that Austin made things crystal clear in his interview regarding his thoughts/feelings about X-plane as his "business"....he leaves you with the impression he simply doesn't give a hoot about who likes what or why not. All he seems to care about is simply what interests him alone...and apparently he even makes light of his current involvement in the sim, which he says is nearly not at all anymore...and his feelings towards his customers and the X-plane market which he states as being "very minimal". He strikes me as being either someoe who is a rich excentric child, or simply full of hot air. Whichever it is, I have no clue...but I don't think either is good enough to attract the masses to X-plane.

I DO hope that Steam will at least bring in or convert enough new serious simmers to X-plane so that the 3rd party developers will come on board. You can't blame them however for not wanting top rely upon someone at the helm like Austin. He has made it clear through his own verbal admissions that he cares nothing about 3rd party devs or how they want to work with X-plane.

Here's his latest interview:

http://xplanereviews.com/index.php?/topic/201-interview-austin-meyer-the-man-behind-x-plane/

Maybe I'm just reading into it too much and getting it all wrong...but if I were a developer I'd be a bit reluctant to invest too much time or money into what appears to be someone extremely excentric, self centered with "minimal thoughts" about the customers who hand him their hard earned cash.

Not only that...but X-plane for the last 20+ years has been in an endless state of Beta which means another patch is always waiting around the corner...which is actually a bad thing if you're a developer trying to make a profit.

It's all such a shame, because X-plane has the most potential for the future...both for the newer and better technology it offers and part of it's base flight model engine. FSX is a dead horse everyone is beating and a switch will surely be necessary to carry the hobby to new hiehgts in the future...I personlly think that X-plane could have been that vehicle...but sadly there seems to be little passion towards that idea on both sides right now.

I sincerely hope this changes soon...for Austin, for the 3rd party devs, and for the customers. I for one would fully support it...if we could all get together and just really go for it. it could be a truly amazing future for all of us...and you too, Austin!

Austin, we would like YOU to be a part of this future and to play a hands-on leading role, not just your staff...you have the passion and the talent for the software and aviation, all you need is the passion for reaching out and doing everything you can to share it with the world, apart from profit. You have the power to have a profound effect on thousands of lives in the future...for the careers of young pilots, to simply bringing some hapiness and enjoyment to others who share the same passion for aviation, and to those who you may help in discovering this as a new passion.

Lets get it done, everybody!

X-plane is not for the "casual video gamer", but this is largely what the Steam user base is made up of and who will now be introduced to X-plane. I think that Austin made things crystal clear in his interview regarding his thoughts/feelings about X-plane as his "business"....he leaves you with the impression he simply doesn't give a hoot about who likes what or why not. All he seems to care about is simply what interests him alone...and apparently he even makes light of his current involvement in the sim, which he says is nearly not at all anymore...and his feelings towards his customers and the X-plane market which he states as being "very minimal". He strikes me as being either someoe who is a rich excentric child, or simply full of hot air. Whichever it is, I have no clue...but I don't think either is good enough to attract the masses to X-plane.

I DO hope that Steam will at least bring in or convert enough new serious simmers to X-plane so that the 3rd party developers will come on board. You can't blame them however for not wanting top rely upon someone at the helm like Austin. He has made it clear through his own verbal admissions that he cares nothing about 3rd party devs or how they want to work with X-plane.

Here's his latest interview:

http://xplanereviews.com/index.php?/topic/201-interview-austin-meyer-the-man-behind-x-plane/

This attitude will definitely hurt X-Plane. By getting it on Steam it means that plenty of new users will try it and immediately be turned off because of the interface's unfriendliness.

I wish I could put in a positive review, but alas I won't be rebuying it although I would love to have it on my Steam Account as I HATE INSTALLING ALL THEM DVDS.

Austin made things crystal clear in his interview regarding his thoughts/feelings about X-plane as his "business"....he leaves you with the impression he simply doesn't give a hoot about who likes what or why not. All he seems to care about is simply what interests him alone...and apparently he even makes light of his current involvement in the sim, which he says is nearly not at all anymore...and his feelings towards his customers and the X-plane market which he states as being "very minimal". He strikes me as being either someoe who is a rich excentric child, or simply full of hot air.

This is a very good summary of what it has always been with X-Plane! There are so many postings here on avsim by users who state their opinion how Laminar should work and what they should do, and this summary explains very good why Laminar won't do that. As serious X-Plane user, one has to accept that, or find alternatives.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

I disagree with what you say. X-Plane to me is the best Flight Sim. This is my opinion. I started with FSX, then decided that was the end, and then switch to P3D v2, and then decided that was also the end for me. X-Plane is just so much better to me now that 10.30 is here and there are so many great things going for it at the moment. It's growing and gaining momentum now and I see this as the definite flight sim of the future.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I am over on the Steam forum (day off work, yay) trying to answer any questions, show the trolls posed as nonsense and hopefully pull a load more people on board. 

It's moving its way up the top sellers list. Any help over there answering questions and helping more people getting involved in our community would be great :)

I think bringing Phillip onboard will help bring more innovation to XPX. I will be honest and say Austin has never been the best salesman for Xplane as he does seem aloof.

I think bringing Phillip onboard will help bring more innovation to XPX. I will be honest and say Austin has never been the best salesman for Xplane as he does seem aloof.

Who is Phillip?

Maybe I'm just reading into it too much and getting it all wrong
Correct, and correct! As a developer for X-Plane I fee confident telling you that you couldn't be more wrong.