Sign in to follow this  
Gregdpw

Taking off that requires vectors. But won't work with default atc?

I got the pmdg 737. I am getting used to the fmc. But for example taking off at KORD and try to program the SID it just vectors me. Then I have to connect the vector to a waypoint. What is the correct way to do this with the default atc? Or just ditch the atc all together? Also would radar contact give me better directions?

:ph34r:  waits for Kyles lecture....

I got the pmdg 737. I am getting used to the fmc. But for example taking off at KORD and try to program the SID it just vectors me. Then I have to connect the vector to a waypoint. What is the correct way to do this with the default atc? Or just ditch the atc all together? Also would radar contact give me better directions?

Pretty much ditch default ATC and self-vector. Those VECTOR paths on the FMC imply that ATC will guide you. If you are not flying on Vatsim or similar, you should probably just self vector. The same is true for discos (discontinuities) on the FMC - not all need to be closed. I am sure Kyle can explain better. 

That's what I figured. I have been doing it myself.

Do ya gotta know quite a bit about atc before doing

Vatism? Might have to learn a bit more.

Vatism?

What do you know? Completely blank? You don't have to be an expert. Learning by doing is absolutely possible. Just give the ATC a heads up that you are inexperienced. Most importantly is to use an aircraft you are comfortable with so you can concentrate on the ATC bit and not having to struggle with operating the airplane at the same time. 

Also, at first, pick a route of flight/airports you are familiar with. Welcome aboard

That's what I figured. I have been doing it myself.

Vatism? Might have to learn a bit more.

Then you have been doing it right. Don't become what one person called a "child of the Magenta" referring to the magenta line - sometimes you need to make the decisions for the technology, not the other way round. Just tonight whilst on approach to YMML and a runway with no ILS, I had to follow ATC vectors (vatsim) and go way off the magenta line due to traffic separation, I used the automation to a point but then at about 4000ft decided the AP was not performing well enough, and took over manual control for the tight turns and approach that was given to me, flew the approach and landing manually, in low-light conditions, with no ILS. But if I had messed around trying to make the magenta line go all the way to the runway, I probably would have crashed or something.

As for vatsim, it really is a whole new world. Start here:  http://www.vatsim.net/pilots/quickstart/

And don't be scared to ask for help or guidance, many of the ATC staff are only learning as well.

And don't be scared to ask for help or guidance, many of the ATC staff are only learning as well.

It's true. A lot of times when I use short hand lingo or I fire off a clearance in numbers only, I get puzzled replies from the controllers.  It's a learning environment and great practice.

I would also suggest picking a flight on Flightaware and following it on Liveatc.net.  You'll see the structure of a typical flight "in the system" and learn some lingo.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

waits for Kyles lecture....

haha...

A vectored departure is tricky for the virtual pilot without real ATC.  Part of the reason we still have real controllers in the real world is that computers are absolutely terrible at providing ATC services.  As such, any program that seeks to provide ATC (to include Radar Contact, though it's at least better than default) is inherently poor at it, though we all can see that the default ATC is particularly poor.

The problem with using a SID and using FSX ATC is that FSX ATC is only aware of the route you give it (which usually doesn't include the SID/STAR), so it tries to vector you to get to the first point that it actually sees.

Honestly, your best bet is to ditch ATC programs altogether.  VATSIM (and the like) aren't truly that difficult.  One of the groups on VATSIM actually provides some self-directed training: http://pilotcerts.laartcc.org/page/ratings.html.  It's worth a look, and it'll help you get up to speed rather quickly.

Kyle Rodgers