Sign in to follow this  
Tushka

Returning to VATSIM... Any tips?

Hello guys!

I decided it's finally time for me to return to this online air traffic control system as I believe AI traffic will just hurt your FPS while the ATC programs get tired after a while due to the same procedures, same voices...

Hence I decided to give VATSIM a go once again! What I'm asking you guys is what is the best way to get started with learning it? Which documents to read and how long the studies will take... Another question is, in your opinion which is the best client program for  VATSIM?

I will be flying mainly old Soviet jets equipped with NVU Orthodromic navigation, VOR/NDB recievers and INS systems. Should be a few steps ahead of some of the western classics people are flying with only VOR. Hence is it possible to fly these aircraft not quipped with FMS/RNAV into the main airports of Europe without retrofitting one? As obviously that would ruin the immersion.

Reason I asked this is because once I was parked with an Yakovlev 40, filed flight plan and tower simply rejected it claiming it must be a format common for glass cockpit aircraft despite I had stated this plane has no RNAV capability. Hence I told him this and he simply said I either fly his "modern route" or not fly at all. Which is why I abandoned this community;

To be fair to Vatsim, aircraft like the Yak are uncommon and the majority of both real-world AND vatsim traffic is comprised of modern, FMS equipped aircraft. You cant be too hard on them..

To quote Wikipedia: "As of August 2013 a total of 45 out of 1011 Yakovlev Yak-40 aircraft remain in service"

You must understand that ATC has to manage ALL the aircraft in the skies and if your Yak is one plane out of hundreds that are RNAV capable, you might not get the answer you want.

In fact, I believe that with RVSM airspace, your Yak would not be allowed to fly in much of the airspace these days.

As for your other questions, the new vPilot client I find very handy and not complex to set up, even over a network.

As for learning - it depends a lot on the areas you want to fly in. I fly a lot in Oceania, and some things here are done differently to the USA, Europe etc (as in the real world.)

ence is it possible to fly these aircraft not quipped with FMS/RNAV into the main airports of Europe without retrofitting one?

I don't see why there should be a problem using conventional navigation VOR/NDB to VOR/NDB on Vatsim. Not sure what went on in the situation you described. 

You should report that ATC, he has no rights to reject your flight plan under those circumstances. 

+1

Thanks guys for the information. I was surprised as well when this happened as VATSIM states every aircraft is allowed except for the Space Shuttle (obvious reasons :) )

I know that many pilots on the network like to fly VOR with GA's, along with classic airplanes such as 707s and 727s... It's not just for Russian aircraft. However funny thing is that this "incident" happened in Russia in fact, where controllers should be more used to older aircraft. However, on another flight to Tokyo the japanese controller was rather thrilled I came in a Tu-154 not usually seen over there. I hope controllers do not give Tu-144/Concorde pilots too much of a hard time.

I'm quite aware Yak40s for example aren't really used in the real world anymore, but on flight sim the story is different as a lot of people want to fly these sort of airplanes. And even if they fly in real life they should obviously be allowed on vatsim (Even though on real life they are retrofitted with GPS).

Where I will fly is mainly in Europe and Russia, as sceneries are very interesting and lot's of small countries whenever you want to see something new.

If you fly in windowed mode, use vPilot which was just released for your client. It's super easy to use and works great.

As for flying /A - - go for it. There's no reason you can't. If they can't handle it at your departure airport and want to insist you file /Q, /W, /L or any other modern aircraft, log off, take off and log back in when out of the uneducated controller's airspace.

I know that many pilots on the network like to fly VOR with GA's, along with classic airplanes such as 707s and 727s... It's not just for Russian aircraft. However funny thing is that this "incident" happened in Russia in fact, where controllers should be more used to older aircraft. However, on another flight to Tokyo the japanese controller was rather thrilled I came in a Tu-154 not usually seen over there. I hope controllers do not give Tu-144/Concorde pilots too much of a hard time.

I see plenty of Concordes flying around JFK all the time.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.