Sign in to follow this  
Guest firehawk44

FS9 Errors, just curious.

Guest sb55mv

Hi.I'm just curious as to what are the typical errors that you all get either regular or random, what are they, did you click on the error reporting click spot in FS9 before you closed/re started it, and what did it say, mine for example keeps coming up with a g2d.dll, and yet the techies at Microsoft went through my system and decided that all it needed was a BIOS up grade to fix it, so I did just that, guess what . . . it did nothing, and I still get them randomly,different aircraft, different places, even with default stuff ! ! !.thanks, and lets hear about those crashes guy's.

Almost certainly you have a hardware or software driver issue. Isn't that a broad answer? I work the dual roles of WAN Support and App Design for my company, and I know first hand that my first answer isn't always right.Just this week, I was asked to examine our application, which was not allowing input for one of our users. The user's machine was loaded with spyware. Our workstation tech cleaned the machine, and our app still wouldn't allow user input. Since we load from a code server, and no one else had an issue, that isolated the problem to the user's workstation.But the spyware was gone. Meaning I was wrong (although it was good to have the spyware off one of my workstations). What was the problem? Having "Large Fonts" enabled! I reasoned that out after noticing that the input screen in question wasn't displaying quite right. "Large Fonts" is known to cause a problem with many apps.I replied to your response in the other thread, that stability is generally not an issue in FS9. If you are getting a repeatable error AND have no add-ons, then it's FS9's issue. If the error is random, then it's either hardware, hardware settings, resident software, or driver related. IOTW, it's a shot in the dark. G2D.DLL makes me suspect it's driver related or even memory related (FS9 has the largest memory footprint of any app I've seen, and it will detect an issue in a marginal chip even if it hasn't gone detected by any other app). It could also be heat, although if one dll is favored over another, I doubt it and plus you have additional cooling on your system.I've had to go as far with some support issues as to analyze airflow in PC's--I had a problem I knew was heat in a perfectly ventilated PC. But the position of one of the PCI cards was such that it caused a heat buildup on the AGP card. Problem went away when I moved the PCI cards around.Likely you'll need to visit the H/W support forum for better ideas, but the errors are most likely not FS9's fault unless you've uncovered something no one else has. Of course, I told that one user that spyware was the reason our app didn't work :)-John

Guest firehawk44

I have to agree with John Ci. It's almost certainly a driver issue and, in the case of the g2d.dll, it's positively a video card driver issue (IMHO)(do a search for g2d.dll in this forum and a Google search on the Internet and you'll see). Uninstall and reinstall your video card drivers whenever you get this error. And, if you get the error again, uninstall and reinstall the drivers once again until your system gets all the registry entries for your video card correct. Don't let any registry editor/cleaner delete any video card registry item even if the cleaner states it's safe to do so. I think the fact video card drivers are updated so frequently by many is the main reason for people reporting these types of errors when using FS9. FS9 is a graphics intensive application which requires a very good graphics card and proper installation of the drivers. Hope this helps!Jim