Sign in to follow this  
bradrcfii

Program ILS Freq for Departure

The KPHL9 departure uses the localizer on the departure.  I have tried the 777 navrad page but have not been able to enter both the LOC freq or it's code.

How is it done?

Thanks,

Brad

Apologize for going a little off topic but just wanted to pass on a friendly reminder that AVSIM has changed the signature policy again and we are kindly asking everyone to please put their system specs and flight sim information in their respective "My Profile". More details can be found at the following link - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/436632-new-signature-rules or under the Forums tab above. Thanks for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The KPHL9 departure uses the localizer on the departure.  I have tried the 777 navrad page but have not been able to enter both the LOC freq or it's code.

How is it done?

Thanks,

Brad

Freq/Course

e.g 110.30/254

enter into FMC at ILS LSK under the VOR LSK, hope that makes sense.

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

The KPHL9 departure uses the localizer on the departure. I have tried the 777 navrad page but have not been able to enter both the LOC freq or it's code.

How is it done?

Thanks,

Brad

I was just looking at the departure plate for that SID here http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KPHL/DP/PHILADELPHIA+NINE and in the Departure Route Description don't see anything that says you need to use the localizer for departure. The only specific was take off 27R, DME required, climbing left turn heading 240 then at I-PDP 3 DME turn right to 255. All other runways it says climb heading asigned by ATC.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The KPHL9 departure uses the localizer on the departure.

What charts are you using? I would like to see a note on a chart that says it uses the localizer. It's all vectored by ATC.

The chart says for 27R departure at night turn left to 240o then at I-PDP 3 DME turn right to 255.  I-PDP is the localizer for 27R.  Seems to me that, even if the FMC has this departure pre-programmed, and certainly if hand flying, it would be a good idea to have I-PDP (108.95) tuned so you know when you have crossed 3 DME and need to turn to 255.

The Newark One Departure at Newark Liberty (KEWR) uses various localizers in its departures:

http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/EWR/DP/NEWARK+ONE/pdf

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

What charts are you using? I would like to see a note on a chart that says it uses the localizer. It's all vectored by ATC.

That's what I was saying in the message I posted above yours. In the link I posted, it has the latest chart and in the departure notes it doesn't say anthing about using the localizer for departure.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That's what I was saying in the message I posted above yours. In the link I posted, it has the latest chart and in the departure notes it doesn't say anthing about using the localizer for departure.

Hi, Sean,

In the departure narrative for 27R (2200L-0600L) it says to turn to 240 on takeoff, then 255 at I-PDP 3 DME.  "I-PDP" is the 27R localizer ID (although the text doesn't use the word "localizer").  On the chart I-PDP is identified as a localizer with a line pointing to 27R.  (They didn't necessarily have to use the DME of the localizer of the takeoff runway as a reference -- they could have used another localizer.  But in this case they used the localizer of the takeoff runway.)

Take a look at the Newark One departure plate for KEWR -- there are several departures that use localizers as DME sources.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

The KPHL9 departure uses the localizer on the departure.

What runway are you using and what time is your departure?

The KPHL9 departure uses the localizer on the departure. I have tried the 777 navrad page but have not been able to enter both the LOC freq or it's code.

To get back to the O.P.'s original question:

Assuming we are discussing the 27R night time departure - fly 240 to I-PDP 3 DME, then 255 and expect vectors;

In addition to entering the frequency/course (course is really irrelevant in this entry -- you want the frequency so you can get the DME to display) on the NAV/RAD ILS page, you can also do the following:

Go to the CDU FIX page and enter IPDP as a fix.  Choose the option that includes DME.  In the next line enter /3.  This will generate a circle of all points 3 DME from I-PDP on the ND map display.  So on takeoff you manually turn left to 240, and when you cross the border of the circle turn right to 255.  Using a fix works better than using the ILS DME distance, as it seems to me the DME only displays on the ND when it is in Approach mode, and you are better off in Map mode.

You can also enter the following fixes in the legs page (don't use the PHL9 departure, just enter runway 27R on the departure page).

IPDP240/3.  This will generate a waypoint 3 NM from I-PDP on a course of 240.  It will have a name something like IPD01,

Then enter:

[NAME OF PREVIOUS WAYPOINT]255/15.  If the previous waypoint shows as IPD01, you would enter IPD01255/15.  The new waypoint will display as something like IPD02.  This should give you a 15 NM leg from I-PDP DME 3 - plenty of time to receive vectors per the departure chart.

I haven't flown this departure but it looks good on the ND Map with one exception: the first waypoint is so close to the departure end of the runway that LNAV will probably not fly to it.  So it's better to take off manually, turn to 240 (or engage autopilot in heading select set to 240), and when you get close to I-PDP 3 DME activate the autopilot in LNAV. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Great post Mike777. Learned much.

You are quite welcome!  One further point:  I got a chance to try it out, and it seems to me the best method is to program the two waypoints, add the I-PDP 3 DME Fix/circle, but fly the first leg manually.  Even using heading hold the plane turns to 240 on autopilot rather slowly.  So best to manually turn to 240, when you cross 3 DME circle engage A/P in LNAV (make sure second waypoint is active, the I-PDP 255 15 waypoint) and it will turn to heading 255.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2