Sign in to follow this  
LarryImler

Thinking of getting Xplane but i got questions

How ya doing guys and girls,

In the past few days I've spent hours and hours reading and watching videos about xplane and all the different add-ons and my conclusion is, I want in. I'm a long time FSX and recently P3D V2 user but I think I want to give xplane a try but I got a few questions.

1) I got 2 hard drives, both FSX and P3D are on my F drive. My computer is 64 bits but on my F drive I don't have a program files folder, just a program files x86 (I may have got the x86 wrong, I'm not in front of my computer and cant remember), what Im asking though is if I put a Program files folder on my F drive will it be 64bits or do I got to install xplane on my C drive in the respective 64 bit folder.

2)I watched a video today of a Boeing 737-300 that looked really good and it looked liked it had everything I wanted, all realism (from what it looked like anyway), and I seen xplane.org, why isent that 737-300 on xplane.org. Is there other really good add-ons that xplane.org don't have.

3) I've seen mixed reviews about the general flight dynamics between Xplane and FSX, what do you guys think, In your opinion, which do you think is best.

Looking forward to what you guys got to say.

Larry

Hi Larry. Just to let you know, there are many of us who are former FSX enthusiasts just like you. Many still use both sims and it works out nicely for them. As for your questions;

1) You can put X-Plane in any folder you choose on your drive, Make a folder F/xplane if you want. You can just delete this folder if you get tired of the sim, no registry keys to worry about.

2) The Boeing 737-300 you mention is probably the one from IXEG. This one hasn't been released yet. You can find a very good Saab 340 over at X-Pilot that is considered a study level sim. For larger liners, look for the ones from FlyJsim and the Flight Factor 757/777. If you like general aviation, Carenado and Dan Klaue are converting their fleet of GA aircraft with excellent results. Alabeo is doing the same. Vflyteair has the Grumman Traveler and Tiger Ga aircraft that are quite nice also. There are many more but I'll let others chime in.

3) I think they both deserve applause. You'll find jewels under each platform. In general, they're both excellent in the hands of competent designers. :wink:

I hope this helps a little.

Thanks for your reply back airlinejets, so I guess if it's a 64 bit program it's gonna be 64 bits no matter where you put it, cool.

Yeah, I fly them all, mostly like airliners, but one thing for sure is the study sim factor, got to have it.

I was just watching that video of that 737 and I did see that it's not even released yet, that's all right couse it looks like there's plenty other good ones.

Yes that did help, thank you.

Lar

looks like there's plenty other good ones

Better go download the demo to try first...many who try the demo at first are not so gung-ho about it, purchase it anyway and still are disappointed in the beginning.

There are not many study sims (nor super high quality addons to the FSX standards you may be used to in payware) for X-plane. This is one of the bridges or gaps that has been holding X-plane back all these years (well that and the unwillingness of the Author to commercialize it according his customers wishes).

IMO, X-plane is an acquired taste where you must learn to appreciate it's subtle nuances that make it special and in some ways more realistic than FSX...and is probably best suited for someone who is a die hard simmer willing to put up with long months and even years of growing pains.

Best way I can describe it for me...is that if you really compare the 2 sims I would say that FSX makes a better "systems" simulator...and X-plane makes a better "flight" simulator. In xplane its all about the flight itself and not so much the hardware on your desk or the systems (in fact theres only a few planes of pretty good quality that offer any deep systems modeling from what I've seen so far. Unless you're into trying lots of freeware, there's not a whole lot of variety availalble and probably wont be for a few more years at least. Lets put it his way...in the last 2 years I stayed away from xplane and when i came back 2 years later there were only maybe 4 new payware planes that released...2 of which I have no interest in and the other 2 are still not up to FSX quality standards of a PMDG or A2A.

The good news is that if you are the type who cares alot for the fidelity of flight models then you might not care about the lack of super duper textures and not having  5 or 6 top quality study systems to buy...you'll probably be lucky to end up with 1 or 2 good planes that look and fly pretty good....but the feeling youll get in-flight can be an inspiring experience, especially if you want to really get closer to how a real GA plane handles at certain phases of flight. Inspiring because you wiull find yourself just wanting to keep flying and trying approaches...especially in winds and light turb. (you really need to hand-fly though....forget xplane for button pushing autopilot because youll be missing the whole point of what makes it a good sim IMO). I think FSX is better right now for big iron planes and xplane shines for GA single pilot rated stuff...but thats me.

Also IMO....if you have a strong enough machine to turn the settings up pretty high and install the free HD2 Mesh scenery addon your view out the window on approach will put a grin on your face almost anywhere you fly (in the USA anyway). I'ts pretty good looking and I think a much better more realistic look in general terms compared to FSX. But again, if you need or want tons of great quality payware scenery, just forget it.

Like other here have already stated...its unlikely at this point in time that you'll be happy making a real switch just yet...but it makes for an interesting 2nd sim for most...and for some, they never return to FSX. Depends on where you really are in your sim career.

Well I downloaded the demo, played around with it and it runs very very good on my machine. I got most of the settings on high and I think it looks pretty good. I will be spending some money, probly get a few airplanes and some scenery, I think it will be good. The best thing is that it is very smooth, something I don't get with FSX or P3D

So to the next step, I got a couple more questions. Does Vpilot work with Xplane?, and will any of the big developers like Orbx, Active sky or like PMDG start working on stuff for Xplane?

Looking forward to the change,

Larry

Larry,

I own FS9,FSX,Flight, P3Dv2 and XPX. There are times in XPX when I just say, Wow that looks so real. I'm not a real pilot so I don't know if the flight models in any of these sims is correct or not.I base my feelings more on immersion than anything. There are quite a few decent freeware airports for XPX. Two things I'd like to see for add ons. A good third party AI traffic program and a decent ATC program. PMDG is getting ready to reveal their first project for XPX.

NAX669.png

Larry,

I own FS9,FSX,Flight, P3Dv2 and XPX. There are times in XPX when I just say, Wow that looks so real. I'm not a real pilot so I don't know if the flight models in any of these sims is correct or not.I base my feelings more on immersion than anything. There are quite a few decent freeware airports for XPX. Two things I'd like to see for add ons. A good third party AI traffic program and a decent ATC program. PMDG is getting ready to reveal their first project for XPX.

sweet need some pmdg planes.

In terms of its flight model, I find it needs a lot more nannying than fsx to fly straight and level. I think this is a good thing though, fsx just seems to trim itself out eventually whatever you do - x plane seems much more alive and affected by the environment around the plane. Hope that makes some sort of sense.

To me FSX's flight model just feels mushy or dumbed down.  With XPX the plane, whether it's an airliner or a tame GA craft, just feels alive to me and you certainly need more inputs in XPX to keep the plane flying straight.  

Joseph Catino

Two things I'd like to see for add ons. A good third party AI traffic program and a decent ATC program.

Mike, for ATC, there's Pilot2atc and it's pretty decent. I'm even willing to go out on a limb and say ti's better than any ATC available other than online traffic control (when you can get it). Check it out.

Michel,

I've seen some of the posts about it but I haven't tried it. I believe it has a trial period? I have to admit that the UI looks rather "clunky" . Can you tune your radios directly from the aircraft, or do you have to use the interface?

NAX669.png

Michel,

I've seen some of the posts about it but I haven't tried it. I believe it has a trial period? I have to admit that the UI looks rather "clunky" . Can you tune your radios directly from the aircraft, or do you have to use the interface?

Way better than that! :lol: You can tune your radios using their interface and your keyboard, it's about ten times faster. The interface may look clunky but it's actually very well thought out. Although, it's a work in progress, you can download a 15 day trial and make your own decisions about how good it is.

Iv used FSX pretty much all the time then i saw Froggle post a vid about x-plane i decided to give it a go what the heck only about $70 odd dollars.

Things that irk me about the sim.   they crazy - and + half circle knob adjustments these things annoy me to no end the limited GPS system the umm annoying autopilot.

But you know what it really is just annoying the first time i took a plane out from Salton Sea flying over the desert i saw an area of sand dunes and i just went WOW that looks incredible then a salt flat with hints of sand dunes and WOW all I can say is x-plane is a pretty sim and it runs about 40-50fps on my system yeah i can forgive it those irking points the planes feel better to fly and have life to them the scenery is amazing the performance is amazing.

I still use FSX for my A2A stuff but i much prefer the prettiness of X-Plane 

Each sim has its devotees and each has something to offer.  Ultimately it comes down to what floats your boat.  Many of us migrated to XPlane  after first spending a LOT of time money and effort on FSX and/or P3D.

For my part, the 64 bits is VERY important, plus the fact that XPlane takes MAXIMUM advantage of high end PCs with fast gaming cards.  I won't go into the technical details, and don't want to start the which sim is better for the umpteenth million time.

Your money.  Your call.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

I've seen a few posts saying that Orbx have said they won't consider X-Plane, but from what I've seen (I don't yet have X-Plane) there is a huge amount of freeware photosceney at simheaven, along with OSM based scenery that can be used by itself or in conjunction with the photo stuff. Also, there is a free/donationware HD terrain mesh for most of the world by someone called something like aipilotex.

I too plan to get X-Plane soon enough so good luck!