Sign in to follow this  
LarryImler

Thinking of getting Xplane but i got questions

Orbx won't consider it, because why would you need it? all the freeware stuff available (donationware too) leave Orbx in the dust, so how could they charge?!

Amazing, X-Plane can't simulate something as simple as seasons!

It's funny to see what some people are amazed by, especially those who list FSX or P3d as their primary simulator, they seem to be the ones most easily amazed by X-Plane and what it doesn't do. I say doesn't do as opposed to can't or couldn't do. To my mind it's as it's meant to be, a flight simulator rather than an airport simulator or a season simulator. It's about flight. Unlike the other simulators though, all the tools to make airports or aircraft are included for those people who would care to use them. I guess some people just like to have everything done for them rather than try to figure out how to make their own sim better for their own benefit.

I for one can fly from my home field, created by me, fly VFR to my own house, put there by me, over photographic scenery, created by me, and then to any of the completely free fields created by me or others that I might like to fly to in a simulator I didn't have to write a single line of code for that benefits from regular updates and runs extraordinarily well with no crashes, OOMs or CTD's that plague the others. I don't see problems there at all. I find that tremendously satisfying. Maybe I'm easily pleased.

...or unemployed with way too much time on your hands! :lol:  j/k

no seriously...most of us do not have the skill nor talent to do all of that ourselves even if we had the time available and wanted to do it.

...or unemployed with way too much time on your hands! :lol:  j/k

no seriously...most of us do not have the skill nor talent to do all of that ourselves even if we had the time available and wanted to do it.

Ex aircraft mechanic, retired on nice pension at 40 actually, will never have to answer to another again except the wife. :dance: I would think you can never have too much time on your hands, there is after all a limited allocation to us all. Skills can be learned, time and talent I can't address. Like anything else, it's not hard once you actually try. I'm just of a personal opinion that too many people complain about things rather than getting off their backside and helping themselves. This is an especially ridiculous state of affairs when you contrast such vociferous complaints as those seen around here against the backdrop of inequality, poverty or any of the myriad real problems that plague our world today. A little bit of perspective would go a long way around here.

too many people complain about things rather than getting off their backside and helping themselves.

Well said, very well said.

Laminar helps those who help themselves... :lol:

..or a simple control tower & parking area at the default airports for that matter.

If it is that simple, then why don't you offer your programming skills to LR.

Amazing, X-Plane can't simulate something as simple as seasons!

It would be even more amazing if you start  participating rather then just complaining.

It's funny to see what some people are amazed by, especially those who list FSX or P3d as their primary simulator, they seem to be the ones most easily amazed by X-Plane and what it doesn't do. I say doesn't do as opposed to can't or couldn't do. To my mind it's as it's meant to be, a flight simulator rather than an airport simulator or a season simulator. It's about flight. Unlike the other simulators though, all the tools to make airports or aircraft are included for those people who would care to use them. I guess some people just like to have everything done for them rather than try to figure out how to make their own sim better for their own benefit.

I for one can fly from my home field, created by me, fly VFR to my own house, put there by me, over photographic scenery, created by me, and then to any of the completely free fields created by me or others that I might like to fly to in a simulator I didn't have to write a single line of code for that benefits from regular updates and runs extraordinarily well with no crashes, OOMs or CTD's that plague the others. I don't see problems there at all. I find that tremendously satisfying. Maybe I'm easily pleased.

+1

Well said!!!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

^Another who apparently has too much time on their hands^....

I hate to break this to you, but this is what gaming is all about...sitting on you butt and enjoying in whatever way you find to be enjoyable. Too much time is spent by millions of hard working people everyday slaving away and doing what they need to do to take care of their families through all sorts of serious real world problems and social issues. When they get a chance to sit down and play by themselves the last thing they want is to be put back to work.

Although I have personally spent thousands of my own personal gaming hours on creating, modifying, tweaking and publicly contributing to the gaming community on my own...it is NOT something that the majority are willing or even able to do. I should know as I teach for a living and not everyone has the ability to be as savvy as you might think. Most do not have the time as they only have a couple hours per week for gaming and certainly don't want to spend it fiddling & fixing...especially after having paid for something. I can understand this plight in today's reality...and this is what many of us would like to rely upon game developers for...it's a paid for service and it's why thousands of us support them with our dollars.

So, as a "modder" and "tweaker"...while I can understand your point, there is always 2 sides to every coin we must remember!

^Another who apparently has too much time on their hands^....

I hate to break this to you, but this is what gaming is all about...sitting on you butt and enjoying in whatever way you find to be enjoyable. Too much time is spent by millions of hard working people everyday slaving away and doing what they need to do to take care of their families through all sorts of serious real world problems and social issues. When they get a chance to sit down and play by themselves the last thing they want is to be put back to work.

Although I have personally spent thousands of my own personal gaming hours on creating, modifying, tweaking and publicly contributing to the gaming community on my own...it is NOT something that the majority are willing or even able to do. I should know as I teach for a living and not everyone has the ability to be as savvy as you might think. Most do not have the time as they only have a couple hours per week for gaming and certainly don't want to spend it fiddling & fixing...especially after having paid for something. I can understand this plight in today's reality...and this is what many of us would like to rely upon game developers for...it's a paid for service and it's why thousands of us support them with our dollars.

So, as a "modder" and "tweaker"...while I can understand your point, there is always 2 sides to every coin we must remember!

It's okay, you don't need to break anything to me, I understand that it's something you hate having to do. I can manage just fine without your assistance. I must say though that now I am certainly amazed by your apparent ability to speak for no less than millions. I will not presume to do so, rather I shall express my own opinions. As for the willingness or capabilities of the many, here again I cannot speak authoritatively so I can only but suggest that if they find themselves in such a time poor position they might allocate their time better, perhaps towards the things they do like with less of their valuable time spent complaining about what they don't like, complaining taking time as it does. You see X-Plane is not a paid service as you are wont to call it, it's a product. If you don't like the product as it stands then it is for you to decide whether or not to take up your valuable time using it, or to do what you can to improve your experience of it, or to simply do something else with your time and money.

For me the problem isn't the simulators, are the people with their own preferences. Some like to tweak, others not. Some like to have all packaged and polished, others not. Some like to build and create things inside the simulators, others like to just enjoy what others have done, and so the story goes... No matter what simulator is released, always many people will complain and others not because of our own preferences.

I suggest to just enjoy the good part of any simulator and have the heck fun of it. Just a thought.

Alexander Colka

Flight sims are not wives!  :) You can own and use all of them next to each other and enjoy the advantages each one has...

For me the problem isn't the simulators, are the people with their own preferences. Some like to tweak, others not. Some like to have all packaged and polished, others not. Some like to build and create things inside the simulators, others like to just enjoy what others have done, and so the story goes... No matter what simulator is released, always many people will complain and others not because of our own preferences.

I suggest to just enjoy the good part of any simulator and have the heck fun of it. Just a thought.

A damn fine thought! Best in my mind to focus on what we do have rather than what we don't. I imagine that any of us with the time and money to indulge in our hobby have more of both than many.

Flight sims are not wives!  :) You can own and use all of them next to each other and enjoy the advantages each one has...

:lol:  True indeed!

Kosty...I believe the thing about the wives is actually legal in some states! :P

User72 - it is important to have people with BOTH trains of thought. Being complacent with what you only currently have and not thinking about what we DON'T have would mean that today X-plane would not even exist in the first place...nor would Windows or cars, planes, etc. Truth is...we owe most of todays technologies to folks who make it a point of sitting around and thinking about what they want instead of what they have. it is human nature, inspiring to be better. it is not such a bad thing :-)

It comes with a price of course...alot of belly-aching and moaning sometimes, but it's part of the normal and natural process of always moving forward it would seem.

Um, yes, in some muslim countries You can have 4 I think! Which will just confirm my point that You can have more than one on Your hard drive... :)

And You don't need to treat them all equally all the time... B)