Sign in to follow this  
LarryImler

Thinking of getting Xplane but i got questions

@user72 - sorry, won't be bothered with such rubbish game playing

@Paraffin - I was not aware there was an RXP plugin and so never used it or have any clue how close in functionality it was to the RXP FSX versions...that's such a shame though...that its no longer available I mean...do you know if there are plans to update it to 64bit? I would absolutely love a chance to try it out...is there a website or any page at all with info about it that you know to post a link? The RXP units are pretty much "da bomb" and was VERY disappointed to see them step away as suddenly and unannounced as they did from the scene...I wonder if the plugin author needs their help in converting to 64bit...if that's the case it'll likely not happen anytime soon.

Also about your somewhat over-zealous statement earlier...hope you didn't take offense to my opposite reaction..if we were standing in front of each other so we could see each other's faces and expressions and hear tone of voice when it was said I'm sure you wouldn't have! :P

@Paraffin - I was not aware there was an RXP plugin and so never used it or have any clue how close in functionality it was to the RXP FSX versions...that's such a shame though...that its no longer available I mean...do you know if there are plans to update it to 64bit? I would absolutely love a chance to try it out...is there a website or any page at all with info about it that you know to post a link? The RXP units are pretty much "da bomb" and was VERY disappointed to see them step away as suddenly and unannounced as they did from the scene...I wonder if the plugin author needs their help in converting to 64bit...if that's the case it'll likely not happen anytime soon.

Wasn't aware RXP's worked in XPX, but there is freeware plugin that did the same thing (front-end) for Garmin Trainer that worked in XPX-32 bit only. http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=9620

Anyone know if the WAAS actually worked with G/S vertical guidance in that old plugin? I guess that would depend upon the plane even it if it did have that capability. Anyway if it stays only 32bit I won't be using it naturally...guess I'm just really eager to see it get updated so it can be used in 64.

By the way...thanks very much for the link, Ohsirus.

As far as I know, the RealityXP plugin for X-Plane 9 is the same as the one for FSX. It's a front-end for the Garmin GNS Trainer, which has to be installed to use it on either platform. 

http://www.reality-xp.com/flightsim/gns530-xpl/index.html

Last I heard, they never even made an installer for X-Plane 10. But you *can* install it in v9, then manually copy the files over to your v10 folders and it will work that way. That's what I did. But it only works in 32-bit X-Plane 10, not the full 64-bit version. It's probably because the underlying Garmin GNS Trainer is 32-bit only, so they got trapped with X-Plane's move to a 64-bit version that relied on that Trainer software. 

I don't think RealityXP sold many 430/530 plugins on this side of the fence anyway, even when there was a pressing need for it. I think it was partly the cost, but also not many X-Plane users knew about it. 

Also about your somewhat over-zealous statement earlier...hope you didn't take offense to my opposite reaction..if we were standing in front of each other so we could see each other's faces and expressions and hear tone of voice when it was said I'm sure you wouldn't have!  :P

No offense taken at all, just the usual spirited discussion about things we all care about, like improving the overall status of flight sims! 
:P

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

@user72 - sorry, won't be bothered with such rubbish game playing

No problem, I think I understand your position :good:

It's probably because the underlying Garmin GNS Trainer is 32-bit only,

ah crud, thats right...completely wasn't thinking about that!

This means that only RXP can fix it then and Garmin needs to make a 64bit trainer :-)...and they seem to be, well...nobody seems to know where they've gone these days...and no forwarding address to boot (RXP I mean).

...or unemployed with way too much time on your hands! :lol:  j/k

no seriously...most of us do not have the skill nor talent to do all of that ourselves even if we had the time available and wanted to do it.

The first time I ever touched WED I managed to populate my local airport with all the necessary buildings, static aircraft, and lighting in a matter of a couple hours, and that's with learning it along the way.  It's really not difficult to do.

...or unemployed with way too much time on your hands! :lol:  j/k

no seriously...most of us do not have the skill nor talent to do all of that ourselves even if we had the time available and wanted to do it.

The first time I ever touched WED I managed to populate my local airport with all the necessary buildings, static aircraft, and lighting in a matter of a couple hours, and that's with learning it along the way.  It's really not difficult to do.

Joseph Catino

...and they seem to be, well...nobody seems to know where they've gone these days...and no forwarding address to boot (RXP I mean).

Maybe RXP is RIP? :lol:

Actually, I think they're working the commercial side of the business.

Orbx won't consider it, because why would you need it? all the freeware stuff available (donationware too) leave Orbx in the dust, so how could they charge?!

I'd love to see a screenshot of XP freeware that looks better than Orbx scenery...

I'd love to see a screenshot of XP freeware that looks better than Orbx scenery...

Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think XPX default looks better than ORBX global. I love FSX, but still think it looks too cartoonish.

Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think XPX default looks better than ORBX global. I love FSX, but still think it looks too cartoonish.

True enough, I see your point regarding FTX Global. But Orbx's latest airport addons, which usually include surrounding towns, mountain ranges, etc, are second to none. Truly stunning once mixed with REX and ASN.

I am open to XP in the future. Not yet though.

True enough, I see your point regarding FTX Global. But Orbx's latest airport addons, which usually include surrounding towns, mountain ranges, etc, are second to none. Truly stunning once mixed with REX and ASN.

I am open to XP in the future. Not yet though.

Here are some great freeware makers, there are a ton of truly high quality airport and regions for free. http://fred-e.net/

I use to think the same, but now FSX and P3D are dead to me. X-Plane 10 has come a looooong way and I'm enjoying this as my #1 flight sim. To me, X-Plane looks and perform the best. And considering the amount of freeware for this platform makes it even much more enjoyable. The future of flightsim is with X-Plane. 64 bit really makes a difference in the modern world. Especially when it comes to flight simming where it takes up a lot of computational resources in order to get the best from graphics and performance.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Is anyone actually saying that? It's about the quantity of free scenery available now. And if we're going to compare to Orbx, let's at least compare payware.

For example... if we're talking about those small GA destinations that look like a model train layout, and you need to be on the ground walking around to appreciate it, then check out the payware CZST Stewart scenery. Here's a review, check out the screen shots (scroll halfway down the page for the closeup stuff):

http://asn-xp.aerosoft.com/?page_id=6627

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor