Sign in to follow this  
RogerPotie

ATC -strange meanderings

Does anyone know why the default ATC diretions can be well a bit strange... turn left to 035...turn right to 065....then left to 035....turn right to 065. etc. :>) That's just a general question.But last night it became quite serious, humorous really.. Well it would have been serious in a real plane, or in clouds or if I didn't have a sectional in front of me and an approach plate. Flying from Denver Int to Aspen in PMDG's Beech 1900. Was given clearance to 16,000. Now that was a little strange as the minumun safe altitude is pretty much 14,800 as I remember. (Don't have the sectional here right now.) But, what the heck...didn't feel like changing it. Ok we're cruisin along.. "Descend to 15,000. HUH! OK.. Climb to 16,000.. Oh Oh, here we go again..Descend to 15,000 etc... turn left , turn right...turn left...ok I can deal with that. But, it got really interesting as I approached Aspen and I was being vectored for RWY 33! Is that actually possible or legal ? There are BIG mountains out there! I've been there..Anyway, descend to 9,800, turn this way, that way. Report runway in sight..It was hilarious. 9,800 ...at that point it would have made me CFIT. So I "asked" for vectors to RWY 15 approach. OK 'descend to 9,800, do this to that for approach to 15 and CIRCLE TO LAND, RWY 33"... Right, baby! I'd be dead meat..:-wave No way...Any ideas? Doe MSFS just not know Aspen? And maybe other places too....Bill

I think what you see is typical of FS - it's terrain avoidance algorithm is very primitive, has very limited look-ahead ability and hence you may see weird results in areas where terrain varies rapidly - say around Aspen or other places surrounded by high peaks.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,I,m sure all of us have airports where MS can't land us, but what amuses me is when A.I. pilots can't be brought in either. I have screenshots of an attempted A.I. landing at Juneau, Alaska and the thing had to go around and only just avoided the terrain on the way out! I wonder whether he's still trying to land there. It's interesting though because he could never have landed there- do they run out of fuel and crash, do they just disappear or what? Wierd virtual world!

" Wierd virtual world! "No world is perfect !I also crashed near Innsbruck AS while following ATC instructions.Roger

Roger

See my specs in my profile

Thanks Michael,I accidentally 'unsubscribed' from my own topic and couldn't find it again until now quite by accident,Bill

ASPEN-PITKIN COUNTY/SARDY FIELDTAKE-OFF MINIMUMS: Rwy 15, NA. Rwy 33, 3100-3or 1000-2 with a min. climb of 460' per NM to 14000.DEPARTURE PROCEDURE: Climb heading 340

Hi, I really appreciate your taking the time to provide all the great info on Aspen. I feel a little...guilty... because I do have the SW-1 U.S. Terminal Proceedures, so I have those charts and was open to the approaches at the time. That's another reason I was so surprised at FS's ATC...But you mention Radar Contact 3.1 Is this an ATC program similar to some of the others I have seen? One I can use in place of the rather 'simple-minded'default ATC? I'll check it out.Many thanks,Bill

Guest davidvoogd

There is a great way around the meandering vectors while still using the default ATC. When the ATC clears you for an approach, don't acknowledge it - instead hit the number for choose another approach - choose the one you want, even if it is the same one, then instead of vectors choose one of the transitions. The GPS will have all these transitions in it - so just punch it in there, and fly the direct full procedure approach - this will usually be quicker than those aweful vectors.

Guest Rockcliffe

I'll share this unusual routing I recently got from FS9 ATC on a flight from Nanaimo to Vancouver for my virtual airline (See David's sig above.)

Guest Pretorious

I have had a influx of recent endeavers with FS9s stellar ATC lately. Mainly just their insanely late orders. Going into Reagan Int. and it told me to descend to 2400(?) from 11,000 and then get ready to perform the craziest landing you ever have! Well it should of said that at least.By the time I was given the instruction I was at 6000 feet and flying over the runway. Its been happening quite a bit lately and I haven't changed the way I fly so...I guess I just have to admire as I watch my runway and landing pass me by as I call for a missed approach.