Sign in to follow this  
LarryF

Weather download inaccurate

I have recently upgraded my Windows 7 to 64 bit. I got FS9 reinstalled and everything seems almost normal. But now I notice, when I select weather updates every 15 minutes option, the actual weather is not the same. Before I updated the OS, the weather was always fairly accurate, particularly in the USA. But like to day, I was going to do a run from South Bend (KSBN) to Newark (KEWR) with a ERJ-145. It came up with a noisy thunderstorm with heavy rain. Actually the weather in South Bend is sunny and very few clouds in the sky. It seems now everywhere I fly in US, I'm getting foul weather. Has anyone else noticed this discrepancy? :rolleyes:

Make sure your firewall is not blocking FS from the Internet.

Hi LarryF.

As I understand it Microsoft has 'switched off' the live update weather servers.

Most simmers are now using third party weather programs to facilitate real weather downloads, both free and payware.  A search of this forum will provide all the info you require.

OK ... TY all for quick response. I don't believe I have a problem with my wirewall settings. I will look into trying a 3rd party weather generator. While I search for that, let me know which one works best. I'm sure there are several available.

*** Big Larry ***

As I understand it Microsoft has 'switched off' the live update weather servers.

That is totally untrue.

Hi LarryF.

That is totally untrue.

OK then ...... how do we confirm or deny whether servers are on or "switched off"?

Ping the server and you will see that it is still active.