Sign in to follow this  
Pugilist2

Alebeo C195 released

I believe you're the one who's missing the point. I stated I knew of at least two developers who are quite unhappy this has not been addressed
I haven't missed anything.  Aircraft "developers" don't work for Laminar.  They may have slightly more influence than a customer when asking for features, but Laminar will still set their own priorities as to what and when things get coded.  There have been many things introduced in the sim that are not "systems"... don't know why you went there.   Again, "...should have been done long ago..." is YOUR opinion… you're entitled to it… Laminar will probably take it into account, but in the end they will prioritize things the way they NEED TO in order to run the business properly. End users and developers don't have any knowledge of the inside workings of Laminar's business and therefore shouldn't try to tell them how to run it.  Make suggestions?.. sure!.. but telling them what "should" be done… not going to work.

I haven't missed anything.  Aircraft "developers" don't work for Laminar.  They may have slightly more influence than a customer when asking for features, but Laminar will still set their own priorities as to what and when things get coded.  There have been many things introduced in the sim that are not "systems"... don't know why you went there.   Again, "...should have been done long ago..." is YOUR opinion… you're entitled to it… Laminar will probably take it into account, but in the end they will prioritize things the way they NEED TO in order to run the business properly. End users and developers don't have any knowledge of the inside workings of Laminar's business and therefore shouldn't try to tell them how to run it.  Make suggestions?.. sure!.. but telling them what "should" be done… not going to work.

Neglecting things like seasonal textures, better ATC and AI, a more user-friendly interface and airport buildings is running the business properly? If they focused on huge deficiencies like this, X-Plane would prove a better alternative to FSX/P3D and draw in more customers.

If you don't care about or do not want to implement this feature in your aircraft, fine. However, don't tell us what we can and cannot ask Laminar. Again, this should have been done long ago!

Neglecting things like seasonal textures, better ATC and AI, a more user-friendly interface and airport buildings is running the business properly? If they focused on huge deficiencies like this, X-Plane would prove a better alternative to FSX/P3D and draw in more customers.

You've seem to forgotten that XPX is now 64bit, and that itself is an enormous step forward.

Look at FSX/P3d forums, they are plagued with problems arising from the fact that FSX/P3D are still 32bit and I don't see LM migrating to 64bit in the near future, I would even go as far as to say not with in the next 2+ years.

As long as P3D stays 32bit, it will never be able to reach the smoothness of XP, sorry but that is a fact. I've seen people with $3K top_of_the_line systems, post performance issues in P3D forums, what a waste of $$$. 

Here I am with my outdated AMD Phenom II X4, still with 8gig of 800mhz memroy, GF670 running HDR locked at 30, and still enjoy the smoothness P3D/FSX users only dream off. 

Thanks LR, cause I don't have to spend a fortune in order to achieve smoothness with enough eyecandy to satisfy my preferences.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

You've seem to forgotten that XPX is now 64bit, and that itself is an enormous step forward.

Look at FSX/P3d forums, they are plagued with problems arising from the fact that FSX/P3D are still 32bit and I don't see LM migrating to 64bit in the near future, I would even go as far as to say not with in the next 2+ years.

As long as P3D stays 32bit, it will never be able to reach the smoothness of XP, sorry but that is a fact. I've seen people with $3K top_of_the_line systems, post performance issues in P3D forums, what a waste of $$$. 

Here I am with my outdated AMD Phenom II X4, still with 8gig of 800mhz memroy, GF670 running HDR locked at 30, and still enjoy the smoothness P3D/FSX users only dream off. 

Thanks LR, cause I don't have to spend a fortune in order to achieve smoothness with enough eyecandy to satisfy my preferences.

OOM errors are a thing of the past with Prepar3D 2.2. The vegetation autogen received massive optimisations which means 32-bit is going to be fine for quite some more time, and there's still potential for more optimisations. You can keep going on about performance issues, but Prepar3D is in continual development, and 2.3 will focus on performance.

64-bit is a great step forward, but what's the point if there's other stuff that should have been added long ago?

but Prepar3D is in continual development,

...and so is XPX. I'm sure we can both agree on this one.

Now back to the original topic...Alebeo C195 released!!!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

OOM errors are a thing of the past with Prepar3D 2.2. The vegetation autogen received massive optimisations which means 32-bit is going to be fine for quite some more time, and there's still potential for more optimisations. You can keep going on about performance issues, but Prepar3D is in continual development, and 2.3 will focus on performance.

64-bit is a great step forward, but what's the point if there's other stuff that should have been added long ago?

Last time I used 2.2 I had really bad stuttering and an OOM error 2 minutes into my flight. 2.2 is the latest update ?

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

If you don't care about or do not want to implement this feature in your aircraft, fine. However, don't tell us what we can and cannot ask Laminar. Again, this should have been done long ago!

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said that I wouldn't implement this feature in my aircraft.  And, I didn't say that you couldn't make suggestions or, if your prefer, "ask" Laminar anything you want.  What I did say was that "telling them" how to run their business would not work.  And again, saying "this should have been done" is telling them how to run their business.

Neglecting things like seasonal textures, better ATC and AI, a more user-friendly interface and airport buildings is running the business properly?

It's not rocket science, there's more than one way to run a business.  If they are successful and that's their approach then yes, that would be running the business properly. And, just because it's not what you would do, doesn't make it improper.  If Laminar were failing at all of this you might have a point, but they're not.

And again, saying "this should have been done" is telling them how to run their business.

John, Jim, James (sorry I don't know your first name), we are telling them how to run their business. That's what customers usually do, ask for features that are important to them. If a company doesn't listen, they'll be out of business before they know it. Seriously, as much as I love X-Plane, they're very fortunate MS scrapped Flight and their flight simulation franchise. We're not talking about frivolous demands here, cube maps are old hat in the gaming world.

Why am I discussing this with you anyways? As a developer, you should have these tools to enhance your wares, no? Don't you care what your customers would like? Don't you care an 8 year old sim has it and we don't? Now that Laminar has had the bright idea of moving to Steam, they had better get used to customer demands. Steam clients will be ruthless with them, as they were with Flight. What were they thinking? Two and a half years into production and not even half finished, then you put it on the world's toughest vending platform? We better hope they start listening to customers real soon.

John, Jim, James or whatever, we are telling them how to run their business. That's what customers usually do, ask for features that are important to them.

You just contradicted yourself.  Telling and asking are two entirely different things, which is what I've been saying all along.

If a company doesn't listen, they'll be out of business before they know it.

I didn't say they don't listen to suggestions or requests.  I said that in the end they will be the ones to set the priorities and determine how they do business. This may be too fine a distinction for you but it is important to understand. 

We're not talking about frivolous demands here, cube maps are old hat in the gaming world.

Again, that kind of language ("demand") is just not what someone who is in business is going to respond to favorably.

Why am I discussing this with you anyways? As a developer, you should have these tools to enhance your wares, no? Don't you care what your customers would like? Don't you care an 8 year old sim has it and we don't?

I will have these tools, just not sure when.  Does it stop me from making aircraft…NO. Would I have more sales… probably.  Would it get me enough additional sales that I should "demand" it from Laminar…NO.  Do I think that shiny aircraft should be the top priority…NO.  Does Laminar think shiny aircraft should be the top priority… apparently not, and that's not a big deal to me.  Of course I care what my customers like, but I've been around long enough to know that it's IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone all the time.  I set priorities in making add-ons, other developers may have different objectives and priorities, Laminar set priorities in creating X-Plane, the users have their own priorities.. these things will never all be in sync, its just the way it is.  Of all the things I think about as a developer, the fact that XP does not have the same reflection technology as another sim is pretty low on the list.  I know we will have it, I don't spend each day driving myself crazy because it we don't have it yet.

Now that Laminar has had the bright idea of moving to Steam, they had better get used to customer demands. Steam clients will be ruthless with them, as they were with Flight. What were they thinking? Two and a half years into production and not even half finished, then you put it on the world's toughest vending platform? You had better hope they start listening to customers real soon.

Do you honestly believe that because X-Plane is now on Steam that Laminar is suddenly going to jump through hoops because those users make demands… I doubt it.  They will listen, but they will still run their business the way that THEY feel it should be run, just like any other business would. Please show me a business that is run solely on the wishes of their customers.  Customers are a part of the equation, not all of it.

Do you honestly believe that because X-Plane is now on Steam that Laminar is suddenly going to jump through hoops because those users make demands… I doubt it. They will listen, but they will still run their business the way that THEY feel it should be run, just like any other business would. Please show me a business that is run solely on the wishes of their customers.

J' ,they're are gonna get CREAMED on Steam.

Customers are a part of the equation, not all of it.

Are you certain this is your final stand? :lol:

Are you certain this is your final stand?

No….

J' ,they're are gonna get CREAMED on Steam.

… Your opinion, your entitled to it.  Others will Disagree. Laminar's future will not hang on what happens on Steam.

And now, hopefully, back to the C195...

Sadly, it will...

Almost certainly, it won't...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

...and so is XPX. I'm sure we can both agree on this one.

The difference is, Prepar3D development is moving very quickly, with each update replacing more and more of the ugly FSX code and adding new visual features, while X-Plane development is not focused towards solving the deficiencies that make X-Plane lag years behind FSX.

It's not rocket science, there's more than one way to run a business.  If they are successful and that's their approach then yes, that would be running the business properly. And, just because it's not what you would do, doesn't make it improper.  If Laminar were failing at all of this you might have a point, but they're not.

X-Plane is obviously profitable enough for development to continue, but don't you think it would be a bigger success if the development team focused more on features the users are asking and accessibility?