Sign in to follow this  
Schaschlik

Tutorial #2 Approach Questions

Hi there,

so I'm doing Tutorial #2 provided with the 737 and in the newer NaviGraph Cycles, they seem to automatically enter a Hold at RTTB right before the 210° Intercept.

I've looked into the FCOM2 about holdings and learned that you remove one by copying the subsequent Waypoint into the holding point. As the 210°InterceptLocalizer is just a Pseudo-Waypoint, is there a way to delete the hold anyway? Plus, as I haven't flown a hold before, is it possible to deactivate the hold before you actually enter it? This way I could at least work around the hold without deleting it on the Legs page.

And then there is a problem with the Localizer Waypoints - After entering the Loc26 Approach I got multiple Waypoints along the Loc-Path named Loc19, Loc10 etc. Those correspond to their respective OEV Waypoint at the correct distance but since all charts use the OEV Points in the procedures it kind of bugs me. Is it normal though? I tried to enter the OEV Points manually and it works but then they are named OEV02, OEV03 etc. I guess you can't change that name right?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading!

Hi Yaanic,

The RTTB hold is there for a reason,As the PMDG tutorial 2 uses the latest AIRAC,you need to fly in and land manually,which means in via RTTB,which goes over the field and then use HDG(I think it is 210o right,into 26)   to make the last turn, and the you go AP off and land manually.So let the hold be there,you wouldnt actually be able to remove it,it is also more fun approach that way.

and to the second question:I dont think you can change the names of fixed waypoints :P .

Hope this helps,

warm regards

Hi Mr. Mahesh thanks for your reply,

I know I have to land manually thats not a big problem :) I also know how to get aligned with the LOC Course but in the procedures there is no obligatory Hold at RTTB whereas with my selected Approach at LOWI I can't get around that!

Oh btw: I'm using default scenery for LOWI might this be causing trouble with the waypoints? I've just double checked entering the OEV Points manually and there is an offset to the FMC-Loc Path. I'll try to make some pictures when I'm home and if needed.

Regards

Yes there is certainly no obligatory hold at RTTB,you should be able to remove the hold,just try clicking on the next waypoint and then on the hold,or you could just use the DIR and directly go to the next waypoint.

From what I know you might be asked to hold at RTTB,If you are on VATSIM IVAO,such good stuff.

So if I were you,I would let it be there,I think i tried removing the hold,but for some reason wasn't able too,well that was 3 years ago!,When you leave the RTTB hold at 10,000ft(local QNH) at 210o, That is when you capture the OEV(111.10)localizer and glideslope.

I am not very sure about the offset you are talking about,I might need to fly the approach again,to remember.

and yes pictures would be a great help.

default scenery wont cause trouble with the waypoints,old AIRAC data does but from what i have read on this post you have the latest installed,dont you?,so that should be a problem

warm regards

The hold that is there can certainly be deleted by upselecting.

As regards to waypoints. The waypoints are in the same position regardless of scenery, but i believe the position of the actual localizer was changed slightly, which is not reflected in default scenery.

I might fly the approach and record when i get home from my holiday

Sorry guys I tried to upload pictures but failed... I guess you know what I'm about anyhow.

@Peter I know it is possible to remove holds and I've done it before with other holdings but in this case, with a Course rather than a Waypoint behind the hold I couldn't find a solution within the manuals. Upselecting definately does not work since I can't even select the Intersect-"Waypoint".

I would highly appreciate your feedback if you manage to do the approach but until then I wish you happy holidays :)

Kind regards

Upselecting definately does not work since I can't even select the Intersect-"Waypoint".

It doesnt work,I have tried that loads of times,don't try deleting the waypoint either.It will get real messy..I used the DIR method,I think it worked..did you try it out?

Tell me how it goes,

warm regards

It doesnt work,I have tried that loads of times,don't try deleting the waypoint either.It will get real messy.

Thats true :lol:  Using a direct works of course, to fly the Localizer Intersect. however you have to issue the Direct quite close to RTTNB - since you have to select the Waypoint after the intersection.

What I'm doing right now is exit the hold as soon as the FMC lets me - I'd say it isn't very pretty but it works.

What I'm doing right now is exit the hold as soon as the FMC lets me - I'd say it isn't very pretty but it works

if it works,might as well use the HDG and AP off,I manually flew from the hold till the end of the runway,that makes it even more fun.

warm regards