Sign in to follow this  
Nikdunaev

Disruptive passenger problems

It means that they can use whatever means they need to protect the flight and they will divert and land with authorities waiting.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Of course they will divert should someone be a real safety issue for the passengers around or should this person commit a criminal offense that can provide reasons for prosecution.

But what about someone who is doing enough to spoil the experience of other passengers but not enough to be a threat for their safety?

Just throw your glass bottle of beer on the head of the passenger next to you... The flight will go on as normal, just you would get charged once you arrive for causing bodily harm.

That is a prosecutable criminal offense. What I am talking about shouting or swearing loudly or just making the passenger next to you feel uncomfortable in any other way.

And another one question here. Most documents and regulations take sexual assaults extremely seriously. What is the actual difference here between something that can happen in any crowded area anytime where slapping this guy in the face is enough to make him stop and a serious offence that is enough for prosecution?

But what about someone who is doing enough to spoil the experience of other passengers but not enough to be a threat for their safety?

There is no definitive answer to this, as it will different on a case by case basis. 

My take would be that if it causes more hassle than it is worth for the airline and the other passengers to land and get rid of the guy, they will continue as normal and just make sure he will have to buy a train ticket for the return. 

Diverting costs time and money (passengers might have a connecting flight etc that they want to get on). It isn't given that the captain will go thru all the trouble just to get rid of a person that has bad table manners but poses no threat.

Look, any behavior that the flight staff considers a problem they can and will divert.  Has nothing to do with what you think is a criminal offense at all.

You seem to think they can only do something if you've broken a law like assaulted someone.  Not true.  Anything that they consider a big enough problem... and it's diversion and arrest.  Period.  It's their judgment call.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Look, any behavior that the flight staff considers a problem they can and will divert.  Has nothing to do with what you think is a criminal offense at all.

You seem to think they can only do something if you've broken a law like assaulted someone.  Not true.  Anything that they consider a big enough problem... and it's diversion and arrest.  Period.  It's their judgment call.

yawn.....

Edit: I'm sorry. That was copy paste error. 

In  UK it's an offence

Authority of commander of an aircraft

141.  Every person in an aircraft must obey all lawful commands which the commander of that aircraft may give for the purpose of securing the safety of the aircraft and of persons or property carried in the aircraft, or the safety, efficiency or regularity of air navigation.

The commander can require a disruptive passenger to do what he's told and hand him over the the police if he doesn't.

I think we agree on that any non-complicance with the Commanders instruction is an punishable offence. As for whether or not the aircraft WILL divert in any circumstance is case by case and, like WarpD said, captains judgement call. 

Well in most countries and also according to some international documents disregarding a lawful instruction of an aircraft commander is a criminal offense.

But those things also limit what the captain can or can not demand from passengers and or crew members. And I bet rising the seat back for the guy behind to open his tray table is not on the list of the allowable instructions as well as it is not a safety issue :)