Sign in to follow this  
mickey_adams

Most Recommended OS for FSX?

Hi guys, 

Reading in couple of pages and around the web is pretty hot to see a lot of topics discussing about the great FSX and tweaks to make it look awesome and smooth, but nobody point wich of the couple of windows versions should be the best for FSX, can you guys give me your honest review about it? im looking to get into the correct OS and i really will appreciate it  :Peace:

Regards!

Windows 7 x64-bit is without a doubt the most used and most recommended.

- It is [the only OS] supported by PMDG, the "premier" aircraft developer if you will.

- Has a higher VAS (or in simpler terms, memory) level than any 32-bit operating system, allowing more to be loaded.

Windows 8 has many issues with regards to syncing controllers such as joysticks etc. It tends to forget they exist or throw them off the computer. It also has file use problems.

Windows Vista... well... do I really have to explain why that's a bad idea?  :ph34r:

Windows XP has the least problems in terms of CTDs etc. but it has no support and therefore I recommend against that option.

NO matter which operating system you choose, always put FSX in it's own (NOT DEFAULT!) directory C:\FSX!

Hope this helps,

Windows 7 x64-bit is without a doubt the most used and most recommended.

Agreed.

spacer.png

For running FSX itself (ignoring the hardware), the most trouble free OS would be Windows XP 32 bit.

From a modern computer hardware standpoint; the OS most recommended would be Windows 7 64 bit.

Windows 7 64-bit.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

For running FSX itself (ignoring the hardware), the most trouble free OS would be Windows XP 32 bit.

From a modern computer hardware standpoint; the OS most recommended would be Windows 7 64 bit.

It is very unsafe to run a computer with Windows XP on it.  Please do not even consider doing it, unless the system will never be used on the internet, or plugged into a network with other machines that are.

Edit: Also, I can wholeheartedly recommend 7 64-bit.

Edited by ramrunner800

It is very unsafe to run a computer with Windows XP on it. Please do not even consider doing it, unless the system will never be used on the internet, or plugged into a network with other machines that are.

All you have to do is create a dual boot system with the network connections disabled in XP. The computer I am using right now on the internet has XP on it, but all my internet activity is done (and can only be done) with Linux Mint 17.

Thanks for reply guys!

I decided to install FSX on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 :) well i already did! In some of the airport such a ORBX YBBN its run critical not even go up more than 10 fps, on Windows 8 i was doing 24, but at ORBX KJAC its look fantastic estabilized at 30 fps minimum even with the whole settings at max, on take off, at parking, on runway, its the same fps porcent 30, but something that i noticed is the change at colors, i do not know if is me but i see like colors are not so good as Windows 8, right or wrong?

What about the tweaks on Windows 7? Some of them are being created to be done at dx10 but my video card just implement the dx11 version, it is compatible for tweaks? Somebody found the correct way to make fsx look so realistic?

Thanks again guys for share reviews

Win7 64bit is the recommended OS, but Win8 is better performance in graphics and network, both fundamental to FSX performance.WIn8 required a driver change and so you may find some rough old USB drivers or hardware unable to run correctly with it. As for the joystick disconnect, never seen it here other than purposely overstressing FSX, easier to do on a recent PC with Win8, hence the rumour.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thanks for reply guys!

I decided to install FSX on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 :) ....something that i noticed is the change at colors, i do not know if is me but i see like colors are not so good as Windows 8, right or wrong?

What about the tweaks on Windows 7? Some of them are being created to be done at dx10 but my video card just implement the dx11 version, it is compatible for tweaks? Somebody found the correct way to make fsx look so realistic?

Re colors, have you got FSX set to 32 bit colors?  (not 16!)  in Options/Settings/Display

FSX runs DX9 default... does not matter if your card supports DX11, it will run DX9 for FSX.

DX10 is a whole other story - FSX can run DX10 but all kinds of fixes are required, so suggest sticking with DX9

at least for the first while..   ^_^

Bert

Win7 64bit is the recommended OS, but Win8 is better performance in graphics and network, both fundamental to FSX performance.WIn8 required a driver change and so you may find some rough old USB drivers or hardware unable to run correctly with it. As for the joystick disconnect, never seen it here other than purposely overstressing FSX, easier to do on a recent PC with Win8, hence the rumour.

I got the same issues with my joystick dropping just 5 minutes after loading fsx, also the most tweaks wasn't taking effect on windows 8 and thats the reason why i decided to try Windows 7 :) so far the whole setting are making some changes on performance and graphics, i just wondering wich one is going to be the correct one.

Thanks for reply :)

Re colors, have you got FSX set to 32 bit colors? (not 16!) in Options/Settings/Display

FSX runs DX9 default... does not matter if your card supports DX11, it will run DX9 for FSX.

DX10 is a whole other story - FSX can run DX10 but all kinds of fixes are required, so suggest sticking with DX9

at least for the first while.. ^_^

Yes my settings are correctly (32). Actually in trying some tweaks for dx10 that i found on youtube, i hope to catch them propertly :)

Thanks for reply!

XP hands down

XP loaded and Idle @93mb,  with Sim Loaded
image.jpg FSX2.jpg

since FSX/x86 can only utilize the first 4Gb in theory

no other OS can beat this

the only advantage with win7/8 is when you’re running multiple external windows,

like team speak or such third party application that’s running in the background

you get more stability; but those take away from fsx working memory space

use a laptop with Win7 instead for those applications,

XP will run FSX by itself better than any other platform

There's certainly a little risk in going Win8, printers and maybe some USBs not working, but Win9 will be out soon. Some may adopt Win9 that avoided Win8 claiming a wise move, but it's just the same with mainly the UI evolving. If I had the joystick problem, since I notice there are those that don't have that trouble, I can see it's just a matter of fixing the system. As for graphics display, both OSs are capable of the same colours exactly.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

XP hands down

XP loaded and Idle @93mb,  with Sim Loaded

image.jpg FSX2.jpg

since FSX/x86 can only utilize the first 4Gb in theory

no other OS can beat this

the only advantage with win7/8 is when you’re running multiple external windows,

like team speak or such third party application that’s running in the background

you get more stability; but those take away from fsx working memory space

use a laptop with Win7 instead for those applications,

XP will run FSX by itself better than any other platform

Page File is by no means a proper method of checking Memory Usage.

Use VAS.

For example, I have page file disabled. Only exceptions being when I'm editing graphics, 3D modeling or video editing; I have it set to the same size as my RAM. With reboots in between as are required when changing page file size.