Sign in to follow this  
ajpongress

For those with VAS/OOM issues

The telling thing is my example. Never had an OOM in my life. Sliders are low, no detailed scenery. Even AA is quite low. And that's with a powerful machine... there's no way I should be getting ANY OOM issues at all.

The fact that I suddenly am, after SP1, is evidence that the product is at fault in my view.

Is there a VAS difference between the 200LR and the 300ER (I dont' have it yet) besides the taxi camera issue?

On my system the VAS with the NGX is about 200 MB lower than with the 777-200LR. I'm not sure if VAS consumption has increased after SP1.

I also have VAS issues after SP 1.

Two flights,..couldnt end both.,....:-(

Never had them before, even my NGX runs fine,..

I dont know what causes it, but its frustrating!

Im not happy with the 777 due to this!

See my prevoius post

See my prevoius post

Those of you who compare the PMDG 777 to the NGX, you might as well compare them to a Cessna, they are completely different. For one, the 777 is a lot larger both externally and internally, which means more textures. Secondly, there are more systems which means more coding to process and lastly, the systems are modelled accurately, such as the C&D start up and now the data link. All this makes a difference to the amount of memory needed.

You are loading all this into a program made in 2006 that was never designed for the loading it has in todays times. You have to make allowances, sliding the sliders to the left do not make much difference to memory load, it will still load the textures just not take as long to render them, hence the lower quality, faster frames. You need to reduce the amount of textures it loads and the size of the textures.

If you want to fly the 777 then you have to remember the following;

1. Never use HD textures for clouds and water, run at 512. If you are using REX of FEX then you will not notice a big difference.

2. Limit the distance of the cloud view. PMDG recommend 100 miles for the weather radar but you can get away with lower.

3. Set you LOD radius to 4.5, 3.5 if you can.

4. If you use UTX or FTX, turn off things like minor roads. When flying over 30,000 feet then you will not see them.

5. Reduce autogen scenery, again when flying at 30,000ft plus you won't see much of it.

6. Cut down any AI traffic. Things like cars, boats and other planes not only zap your frames but increase VAS

7. Turn off scenery that you are not using. If you are flying London to Dubai, leave only those textures loading. You can add an alternate.

All these will allow you to have a nice flight with the 777. Note that the PMDG 777 is not the problem, it is part of the complete picture. A bit like driving down the road at 100 mph, in the rain, with bald tyres and crashing into a tree. You could blame the rain, the tyres, the tree or the fact you was doing 100mph, but you could do 100mph in the rain with good tyres and miss the tree, or you could do 100mph in the dry with bald tyres and not crash. Many parts add up to high VAS and you just have to lose the ones you don't need.

If you want, you can have one config for the 777 and one for everything else, it's easy to load in FSX. I have one for the 777 and another for if I fly low and slow, with everything maxed out.

If you are still having problems then you have another program loading that is being a memory hog.