Sign in to follow this  
conura

Confused about sceneries

Hi all,

I've only ever used the (fantastic) HD Mesh v2, however I'm a bit confused.

I've downloaded both osm_Europe and World2XPlane (+ the french scenery) - should these both be installed, what is the difference between them?

Hope you can advise!

They are basically doing the same, so it is advised to have one of them disabled.

World2xplane is more advanced, and has more variety in buildings.

But then OSM2XP is covering the whole of Europe.

I believe you can have both enabled, but then you will use more memory and loading times will increase.

I don't know which one is using more resources.

Personnaly, I prefer not to use neither since the latest 10.30 beta's, as both impact performance.

There is a noticable improvement in the standard autogen with better placement rules, and especially together with photoscenery it is very convincing.

They are basically doing the same, so it is advised to have one of them disabled.

World2xplane is more advanced, and has more variety in buildings.

But then OSM2XP is covering the whole of Europe.

I believe you can have both enabled, but then you will use more memory and loading times will increase.

I don't know which one is using more resources.

Personnaly, I prefer not to use neither since the latest 10.30 beta's, as both impact performance.

There is a noticable improvement in the standard autogen with better placement rules, and especially together with photoscenery it is very convincing.

Thank you :) That answer was very clear!

Unfortunately I'm using the Steam version so stuck on 10.25 for the time being.

Hi Luke,

If you take a look at the scenery_packs.ini file in the custom scenery folder the order should follow the structure below.

1. own, custom airports
  2. original airports (Aerosoft …)
  3. regional sceneries (New Zealand Pro)
  4. OSM sceneries
  5. add-ons, libraries (Europe Library, SeaTraffic,OpenSceneryX…)
  6. photo sceneries (ZL16, ZL17, Areas)
  7. mesh files (HD Scenery Mesh v2)

I have Osm_Europe disabled while using Simheaven's experimental sceneries (http://simheaven.com/experimental/). These sceneries combined with ZL17 photo scenery puts x-plane in a different league IMO.

I recommend also using x-plane's atmospheric scattering techniques to add more realism. A guide to this can be found on youtube

Enjoy the wonderful world of x-plane!

You should not use OSM_Europe along with World2XPlane sceneries, as they both cover the same areas and will increase loading times unnecessarily. OSM Europe covers all of Europe with objects and forests using the older OSM2XP software. The World2XPlane sceneries are more regional and have much more variety in buildings, and contain more detail, however that extra detail will come at an expense. My suggestion would be to simply try both, and see which one works better for you and your system.