Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

Malaysian 777 down in Ukraine

I appreciate Fr. Bill stepping in as well.  Don't like to see rampant inconsiderate speculation.  My opinion.  Thanks, Bill.

I think the big question should be, why are neutral commercial airlines flying over what is essentially a defacto war zone? Especially in an area, where there has been reported shoot downs of other (Ukrainian) aircraft within the last few days?

To be quite honest, I believe it is one of those "they can't hit us from here" moments. I think most of those involved thought that altitude was high enough that they were out of harms way. This is a well used route for most airlines traveling to Asia from Western Europe. Unfortunately looking back on it we can see that this was a horrible decision. 

Well that's the most likely explanation, I highly doubt government forces would be stupid enough to shoot down a target without verifying what it is. Separatists on the other hand could very well do something insane like that. 

Separatists posted a statement saying they had shot down an Ukrainian government cargo plane just after MH17 went down. 

Unfortunately there are more than a few cases of governments shooting down airliners, including the US, Russia and Ukraine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberia_Airlines_Flight_1812

Although in this case it does look like the separatists may be at fault, if those statements are true.

I think we all should take a minute and calm down. No evidence as to what happended and who did what. However, seems clear to me that foul play is involved. 

The investigation will hopefully give us the answer.

Would it not be helpful if people provided actual links to any evidence they have?

This a a human tragedy for the families and friends involved.

There are plenty of photos and videos linked at

Some of which are not most definitely NSFW.

"Anton Gerashenko, an adviser to Ukraine's interior minister, said on his Facebook page the plane was flying at an altitude of 10,000 meters (33,000 feet). He said it was hit by a missile fired from a Buk launcher, which can fire missiles up to an altitude of 22,000 meters (72,000 feet)." http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_UKRAINE_PLANE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-07-17-12-47-41. Maybe this might help, give some perspective on what's going on.

RT news is reporting that this may have been an attempted attack on Putin's plane which had overflown that area 40 minutes prior. Pure speculation at this point, but interesting nonethless.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I have a question, if these areas are so dangerous, why do airlines still fly routes over these areas knowing the danger! Can someone please explain the reasoning for putting people at risk?

Folks, I am going to put this out as a single warning and and users violating it will be banned from this topic, if not worse.

Keep it non-political. We don't have any facts other than an MH B777 has been shot down by a ground to air missile. Fact, it crashed in Donetsk. Fact, the separatists are not allowing investigators entry. That's all we know right now. Speculation is rife. Let's not go political or go over the top otherwise. I am putting this topic at risk of closure. So, act accordingly.

Perhaps a coincidence, today is the anniversary for TWA Flight 800!

I wonder what your life would be like if Americans had just let that idea drop.

That's the kind of provocation that will get you removed from this topic Kevin. Don't go there and keep it the incident itself.

I have a question, if these areas are so dangerous, why do airlines still fly routes over these areas knowing the danger! Can someone please explain the reasoning for putting people at risk?

These kind of areas are not considered dangerous for civilian aircraft cruising at high altitude under radar control.  The Malaysian aircraft was most definitely shot down by mistake.   

Rob Prest