Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

Malaysian 777 down in Ukraine

FlightRadar24 is reporting on Twitter that Singapore Airlines SQ351 (B777) and Air India AI113 (B787) were about 25 km from MH17 when it disappeared.

Everyone in those aircraft will consider themselves extremely lucky when they learn of this. There but for the grace of God...

MH17_Edited.jpg

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The old outdated SA-2 system is capable of downing an aircraft at over 60 000ft. 33 000ft is peanuts for most medium range missile systems. An airliner flying in a straight line and incapable of maneuvering rapidly, with no missile warning system or countermeasures, quite simply doesn't stand a chance.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

I don't think we even know that the MH17 B777 was shot down.

In fact, I highly suspect it wasn't.

The tragic good news if that were the case might be that recovery of the black box has the possibility of leading to insight into why the other Malaysian Airlines B777, MH370, went down.

That's all the speculation I'm willing to venture.

Looks like Malaysian Airlines has had a great record since their last crash in 1995, so two of these, on the same plane, so close together in time, most likely is coincidence, but could be symptomatic of something else.

I will leave it to the investigators to figure that out.

This is not a game changer, stop being dramatic..  America shot down an Iran air Airbus, the former soviet union shot down a Korean airliner.  All due to mistaken identity.   Let's hope this time the people involved get brought to justice..

What's changed is the Iranian plane wasn't in cruise level and the Korean one was shot down by military jets and both were shot by world powers not military separatist.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

That video suggests to me -- in the first four seconds of it, the only part where there's any indication of explosion of the plane -- on the ground, not at 30,000 feet -- that the plane indeed crashed, and was not shot down.

That video suggests to me -- in the first four seconds of it, the only part where there's any indication of explosion of the plane -- on the ground, not at 30,000 feet -- that the plane indeed crashed, and was not shot down.

There is an other video showing falling debris after the plane hit the ground.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

The tragic good news if that were the case might be that recovery of the black box has the possibility of leading to insight into why the other Malaysian Airlines B777, MH370, went down

Really? 

Also Francis Gary Powers U2 plane shot down at around 70,000 ft back in 1960.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

If the missile simply caused enough damage to the control surfaces without destroying the fuel tanks there would have been no fire or smoke. 

The separatists reported that they had shot down an Ukrainian cargo plane, just after MH17 crashed. I think it's pretty clear which way the evidence is pointing. The tweet was deleted afterwards, an obvious sign of guilt. 

Here they are talking about their new AA missile system: 

http://oi58.tinypic.com/29gmnah.jpg

Here report of shooting down an Ukrainian cargo plane: 

http://oi62.tinypic.com/14wzzvo.jpg

Did you ever see the size of the crater in Lockerbie after the explosion and mid air breakup? Stick to your day job.

Rob Prest

It doesn't suggest that to me. It did suggest that the plane was not on fire, at least not in any significant way, when it hit the ground. There could be several reasons for that. For example, the front end of the plane could have been severed by a continuous rod warhead, it wouldn't have ruptured any fuel lines, but it certainly would cause the plane to fall out of the sky

(image from wikipedia)

Continuous-rod-warhead.gif

vatsim s3

1133704.png

An airplane that creates a debris field over nine miles in size has disintegrated in mid-air. Were this a simple "crash" there would be a debris field far smaller in size.

This is terrible news my thoughts go out to the families of the dead, and staff and pilots at Malaysia airlines must be horrible for them to experience this again.

What's changed is the Iranian plane wasn't in cruise level and the Korean one was shot down by military jets and both were shot by world powers not military separatist.

True but irrelevant, nothing has changed.  The military posses the ability to shot down high altitude aircraft, Serbia even downed a F117A, Cuba downed a U2.  Unfortunately i think it's very likely one side of the conflict in Ukraine (most probably the pro-Russian side) mistook this aircraft for a military plane.

I have no thoughts on the conflict and no sides, i just hope that cool heads prevail and it can be brought to an end shortly.

Ian R Tyldesley