Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

Installing OS by using a 2nd PC to perform this...

The title probably does not make much sense so let me explain this better.  I just purchased a new 256GB SSD to replace my old 128GB that I use only for Win7 OS on my desktop.  I was running out of room!

So I got to thinking this could be a good time rather than install a backup I have onto the larger SSD, do a new full, clean install of Win7.  So then I thought, on performing the actual installation first on my 2nd PC (I have two desktop PC's), install the OS and all the programs, and then move the SSD over to my main PC?   Would this even work?

The advantage would be I could take my time installing everything (days-weeks), updates, making sure all is working correctly while still using my main PC during this process without interruption or feeling rushed.  Then, when I am ready just switch them.

The dis-advantage is, of course, there could be some issues, maybe?  My main PC is an Intel/Nvidia based PC while the 2nd (my backup), is an AMD based PC.  So not sure how hardware would effect the moving of the SSD.  Maybe it wouldn't even boot up?  Could paths or the registry cause an issue?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

If both PC's had the exact same hardware then it would be okay, but since they are totally different, Intel vs AMD, it is a bad idea.

When you install Windows it automatically installs the necessary default drivers for all the hardware it detects so if you install Windows on your AMD machince and then transfer the SSD to you Intel machince Windows would have all the wrong drivers.  When you first booted into Windows you could have some major problems.

Also when you register Windows and most other software the registration keys off your motherboard so when you transferred the SSD you would have to register all your software all over again.  If you used an OEM version of Windows that OEM version would be tied to the original motherboard it was installed on and you may run into difficulties getting MS to let you register it on the other motherboard.  Any Flight1 products that you may have would have to be reinstalled from scratch due to changing hardware.  Some of your other FSX addons might have to be reinstalled to if they detect the different CPU/MB as new hardware.

All in all I think that it is just a bad idea and you should just hook the SSD up to the CPU/MB you want it to run on and install everything on that setup.

Yep... you are right.  Thought about this right after I posted realizing this would never work.  What I think I will do is this:

My HAF X PC case has two hot-swap loading bays.  I'll keep one with original SSD OS and use the 2nd bay to start filling installing all from scratch.  That way I can pop in the old when I need to work and pop in the new when installing.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit