Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Adventure Text Display (ADV) Setup not showing

Adventure Text Display (ADV) Setup is not showing in my menu (MODULES)

also i have assigned my own keys and there not working i keep pressing the key display on the chat menu and nothing happens

also update tab in my UI rc page

Vernon Howells

The adventure text module (advdisplay.dll) is no longer used. That display is built in to fsuipc now. If you want that see the pinned topic about using showtext in the WideFS setup. Be sure your fsuipc settings outlined in the pinned topic are followed.

Your double posts are very annoying.

You can toggle the display on and off. Here is my method:

Backup fsuipc.ini in a folder outside of FS. The edit the following lines into the general section:

AdvDisplayHotKey=88,10    -- uses ctrl-x to hide and unhide the RC/fsuipc window
WhiteMessages=Yes           -- option to turn red text in fsuipc window to white instead of red

If you have AdvDisplay.dll in your modules folder I recommend renaming it to AdvDisplay.dlh tio make it ineffective. If something else requires it rename it back.

The display text option in RC really slows RC's performance.

If you have AdvDisplay.dll in your modules folder I recommend renaming it to AdvDisplay.dlh tio make it ineffective. If something else requires it rename it back.

i can't find this folder?

also i re assigned command keys now none of its working not one

those lines didn't work either 

Vernon Howells

fsuipc and other dlls are in your modules folder under your fs folder.

If you reassigned RC keys make sure they do not conflict with FS or other applications. Test with just RC and FS running to insure no other application is grabbing keystrokes first. Be sure you have clicked on an aircraft cockpit view panel, not a separate pop-up that may prevent rc/fsuipc from passing keystrokes.

none of these keys are assigned to anything only PFE but i just reset them to default and RC keys still don't work

soon as i tune atis freq into comm2 and swap it over to comm1 it works fine. is it mean't to work like that? i thought you had to press a key...

what is really confusing is if i press my f keys standby comes up in the RC FSUIPC blue box

but i haven't even assigned f keys to RC i don't know what to do now

Vernon Howells

PFE (Pro-flight Emulator)should not be running at the same time as RC. Both are ATC applications. Conflicts can occur.

RC does not use F keys. Use your alpha-numeric keys with desired combinations of CTRL and/or SHIFT. When you bring up the keyboard assignments in RC just put a check in one or both of the optional CTRL or SHIFT boxes (or none) and then in the third column enter the alpha-numeric key including punctuation. I use = for repeat. Note that the defaults are different than stated in the manual.

RC only uses your COM1 radio. RC uses its own COM frequency database (you can see these on the controller tab and if you change these in that tab the changes are only for the current session). Because of this have the auto-tune option for your comms in RC set and it should tune your radios as appropriate.

A standby means something is keeping the RC via FSUIPC link busy. Sometimes, though, if RC is talking to AI heavily you'll also get that. It is also built in to randomly occur for realism on some of your requests for route or other changes.

I'm not running PFE and RC at the same time.

Thats weird because i have G keys on my logitech down the left hand side and when i pressed G3 and 4 which is assigned to F KEYS RC responded with standby and then the ATIS tuned.

I have not assigned these keys in RC only keyboard keys ie z x w c etc

I'm back to using PFE just now which is a shame was looking forward to RC will i try am uninstall again?

As for the comm database in RC the clearance box is always un-ticked will i need this ticked because if i tick it the freq isn't 121.75? Or is that right....

Just won't this RC up and running :( :(

Vernon Howells

RC will probably drop the special function key bytes and just use the number from them. Why can't you use the regular alphanumeric key strokes? I have mostly just single keys assigned.

Regarding the what boxes are checked in the controller tab, that information is in RC's comm database as to what comm services are supported by the airport. RC has a function where an airport does not have a clearance frequency or tower, it will simulate a telephone call where you'll get the clearance relayed by a flight service station (flight information service in some countries). You'll have ten minutes to take off and activate your plan in the air. This is used for smaller airports that do not have full facilities and that is how it is done real world. (This is prior to Internet FAA communications.)

The clearance box should be ticked at most airports that have full functions. At some airports you will see the same frequency for clearance and ground control where ground provides that service.

Another example is where approach and departure are serviced by the same controller station and you'll see the same frequency for both.

Have you at least read the RC tutorials in the manual?

Regarding function keys, most applications regarding FS so not use them as they are frequently used by windows itself (like the F1 key for help). That is probably why RC does not use them. They also send out a string of a few characters each which is inefficient performance wise.

I do not see why you need to uninstall RC to use your other apps. If you do not start it it will not interfere.

I myself, a volunteer support person and at times a beta tester (I had a commercial pilot's license and was in IFR training.), have dedicated quite a bit of time to your questions. RC requires a dedicated user willing to use it. On RC's description page, it is stated RC is NOT for gamers.

RC's partner Doug just retired a few years ago from FAA ATC. He and other FAA controllers, both active and retired, along with private and commercial pilots, helped design RC's functions. jd is the programmer.

Starting with FS2K2 and RC3 I found RC to be the most realistic ATC application that matched my experience and I have been very happy with it emulating my real world training.

Real ATC has no shortcuts (other than allowing skipping checkpoints). If RC5 is ever finished one of its features considered was allowing ATC to offer a more direct route pending traffic density and other issues. You can request direct-tos in RC4. Other than that ATC is the boss, period. RC can handle pilot requested emergencies. Now this is the challenge of RC.

So please breeze through the tutorials at least reading them.

I've uninstalled it because i have tried everything to get RC to respond mate i'll start fresh and see if the default keys work but i have alot of setups that use those keys thats why i reassigned new keys which aren't used by anything except PFE which i know not to run either if one is already running.

I appreciate you and anyone else for there help and effort. Thankyou!

I will try again tomorrow one step at a time. Just don't understand why it wasn't responding :(

Vernon Howells

Vernon, Please use the default key assignments, the special keys and function keys are only going to give you problems.

Start Radar Contact once you are in the plane and things have settled down,Ai ect

For testing please use a default aircraft and no other apps that use key assignments, we can get everything else sorted once you are comfortable with Radar Contact.

If I remember you also had problems getting PFE to respond, this is most likely down to your keyboard and the way it sends special keys.

Radar Contact is very much easier to use than PFE, I for one cannot understand the difficuties that you seem to be having, it was the same when you first got PFE, I feel you need to slow down a bit and test these programs in their default state before you start trying to alter things.

As it stands it's very hard to help you.

Keep in touch by PM and I will get you going with RC no worries.

I am at a Christening today so will probably end up in no state to sensibly reply but will help if I can.

Thanks for helping mad dog have a great day today dinae get too bladdered lol

The thing is the default keys are all assigned to alot of functions like views for ezdok in the cockpit and linked to my logitech mouse buttons.

I will try out the default keys and see how it all gets on.

Vernon Howells

RC works fine but soon as i change keys it stops working :(

Did you restart RC after changing key assignments?

Otherwise some other add-on appears to conflict.

What key assignments are you changing and to what key strokes.

Also check your FSUIPC general so multi-line menus are allowed.

Hi ronzie honest i have read the manuals mad dog is helping me too but hes busy tonight.

i have tried the lot please help.

yeh restarted fsx still doesn't work.

key assignments are - z x c v b m , . / and a few CS M N ETC

yep fsuipc multi lines are checked

Vernon Howells

Vernon,

This shows my keyboard settings for RC4.3. They are very close to the defaults. There is no reason whatsoever why these will not work on your setup providing you do not run other software that may cause a conflict. I'm thinking here of EZ Dock and others that require keyboard inputs.

RC_keyboard.jpg

Change your settings so they match mine and then save those changes. Exit RC4.

Set your aircraft up at a stand and start any weather program. Once it has updated FSX start RC4. Load a flight plan and press Start RC. It will minimise and you should see a window appear in FSX showing your initial FLs for that route.

As I said at the start do not run any other software that demands keyboard inputs. If RC responds to your keyboard inputs (as I expect it to) you can then look at changing your other software to different key strokes to prevent conflicts.

And as Ronzie said, this program requires a great deal of learning which is why the tutorials are provided. Once you have RC running I suggest you fly those to build up your knowledge.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather