Sign in to follow this  
wanabflyer

Opus and PMDG weather radar?

Is it in Opus plans to make their weather engine compatible with the soon to be implemented Weather Radar feature on the PMDG T7?

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Thank you for your info, guess I should have done a better search.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Please see the PMDG 777 topic in this OpusFSX forum.

This confirms and shows the excellent ASN Weather Radar and the OpusFSX Live Weather Engine (also OpusFSI) working very well together. There are no problems using the Opus weather engine with the 777 and weather radar data provided by ASN.

Stephen :-)

This is great news Stephen, the way the conversations were going over at the PMDG forums, the weather radar feature would only work with ASN unless compatibility was incorporated into Opus, so I haven't even given it a try yet.

Changing to ASN just was not (is not) an option.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Well that's a pleasant surprise!

ZORAN

As I said many time on the forums, weather radar data is totally independent of the weather engine or source of weather and should work no matter what source of weather you use, even the standard FSX or P3D weather or static themes. If you wish to use the ASN weather radar feature then purchase a copy of ASN, install, but you should not need to use the ASN weather engine.

The same compatibility is inbuilt into the REX weather radar Addon when that is released. It is fully compatible with all weather engines and all source of weather.

Stephen :-)

So, in order to use the WX Radar embedded in PMDG 777 a full copy of ASN must be bought?

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

As far as I know AS do not sell the weather radar feature as a separate Addon. REX are planning such an Addon, so if you want weather radar data extracted from the sim you could either wait for that or purchase ASN. But yes, if you want to use ASNs weather radar feature you will need to purchase it.

Stephen

So Stephen is there an option you guys build a similar wx engine? Now i have to buy ASN too?

That wasn't what i had in mind!

Thanks

I tested yesterday the weather radar with Opus (I own both full versions of ASN and Opus) in an area that had -SHRA reported in their metar (specifically in ZUGY and ZUUU around 2100z yesterday). And while ASN showed patches of green here and there - what would be expected, opus depicted an armageddon up in the air - the weather radar was 70% in magenta. So it seems that the source of the weather matters very much contrary to what Stephen is saying and unfortunately for the simmers - as greater competition means better quality of products. The 777 weather radar seems to be calibrated towards ASN and otherwise shows gibberish results. 

Of course you can get different weather or cloud formations, cloud precipitation levels etc. injected with different weather engines, pretty obvious really.

Once again the data is NOT tuned to anything, it just reflects the actual weather inside the sim at that moment. Please stop interpreting or believing things are any different. The data is totally independent of the source of the weather, not tuned to anything, the weather data in the sim provides the same type of data no matter what engine is used. All this is pretty clear ... FSX internal data is the same no matter what other software is running.

The weather radar data has NOTHING to do with the weather engine ... It is extracted from the current cloud and precipitation data inside the sim. Simple as that. Please guys, I hope I don't have to keep stating the obvious for many more months.

Stephen

You WILL get weather radar data (dependent on the current cloud formations and precipitation levels in those clouds) no matter what the source of the weather.

The data inside the sim is NO different in each case.

You will even get weather radar data with FSX or P3D weather, or even static weather themes.

It is not possible to 'tune' the internal weather data ... It simply represents the current cloud formations and the precipitation levels defined in those clouds ... This will obviously be different with different weather engines.

The same arguments will apply to the REX Weather Radar Addon when that is released. The internal Wx radar data does not care what source of the weather is, it reflects what is surrounding your aircraft. All pretty simple and obvious. So if you want WX radar either purchase ASN or the new REX Addon. When LM fixes the SimConnect RequestCloudState function none of these Addons will be needed but will all still function.

Stephen

And here's a link showing the 777 WX radar with the OpusFSX weather engine ... Showing perfect WX radar echoes and graduate radar intensities ... Which obviously depend on the current weather ... And NOTHING else ... NO tuning to this or that engine.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/adverse-weather-condition-over-northern-india_topic49734&SID=724522834b9c73a86b9e9642162f52449537037.html

Please no more assumptions .. The internal weather data inside the sim does not change depending on the engine, it is what it is and reflects nothing more than the current weather, cloud formations, and precipitation.

Stephen

Dear Stephen,

I bought the upgrade to OpusFSI but I didn't find the proper information regarding the upgrade process itself.

I have questions like:

1) Where should I install the upgrade? Same directory of OpusFSX? New directory? Will it take my camera definitions of OpusFSX?

2) I found no Start Menu program folders nor icons, is this correct?

3) Related to the previous questions, should I run manually FSISERVER.EXE prior to running FSX.EXE? Any way to make it automatic?

One more question, does OpusFSI solve that DHM issue associated with the flight model/flight dynamics of some aircraft?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

You can find information in our Getting Started guide. http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi/opusfsi_getting_started.htm

Run the OpusFSI_Upgrade_Purchase.exe file. You will now find the OpusFSI.msi installation file in your 'unwrapped' C:\Opus Software folder. N.B. You need to keep both your OpusFSX and OpusFSI Flight1 key and licence files on drive C in the C:\Opus Software folder but can move the msi file to another drive. You can keep OpusFSX installed if you wish.

Double click on the OpusFSI.msi file and follow the instructions to install the software into the OpusFSI directory. You may install the software onto any drive provided its folder name is OpusFSI with the exception that you must not install OpusFSI in the Opus Software, FSX or Program Files folders, and don't install in more than one folder on your PC.

Yes you can reuse your cameras. Just copy your camera (CAM) files from the OpusFSX folder to the OpusFSI folder. The FSXSERVER.CAM file stores all cameras created on your main server system for use with the Microsoft FSX Flight Simulator. The P3DSERVER.CAM file stores all cameras created on your main server system for use with the Lockheed Martin Prepar3D Flight Simulator. Note also that you can reuse your opus 'FSX configured' cameras in P3D by copying FSXSERVER.CAM to P3DSERVER.CAM and vice versa.

Follow the Getting Started guide which shows you how to create the relevant icons if required. http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi/opusfsx_getting_started.htm#_Toc345576859

Run the sim prior to OpusFSI, or you can start it automatically as described in the Getting Started guide,

http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi/opusfsi_getting_started2.htm#_Toc345576867

If you have problems with the DHM in certain aircraft then you should set an appropriate DOF to suit your preference and capabilities of the aircraft sim. Set the lower value options if your aircraft sim has trouble maintaining a heading. You can also set a Delay factor (0..10 = Fastest to Slowest, default 0) which adjusts the Bump Aircraft frequency, or just turn off Aircraft Bump altogether if you still have problems. You will just have to try it on your system to see how it handles. Disable the turbulence effects within 3rd party packages since they may conflict with OpusFSI.

Cheryl

Thank you Cheryl.

Even though I could use the previous camera definitions, I had to redo from scratch all the configuration for the "camera movements", using a second joystick (which looks like a modern videogame controller). Fortunately it was quite an easy task, not taking much time to redo all configs.

I noticed that the "recommended practices" texts and help files (maybe not all of them) look a bit outdated, is that right? Do you plan to update them so that they become applicable to the program's latest version? For sure that would be desirable, since it's a bit complicated reading something that can't be applied the way it was explained.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho