Sign in to follow this  
spilok

What is FS Global Mesh?

I have ORBX Global, ORBX Vector, and I'm currently downloading ORBX FTX openLC Europe.   Is there something separate called FS Global MESH?  I don't ever remember this product or downloading it.   Please let me know if this is something that should be part of the whole package....assuming I want to be able to have the complete and total scenery complements.

If there is such a separate product, I can't believe I've missed the discussion on it.

Stan

It's an addon that provides detailed elevation information for the whole world.

Makes a lot of difference for scenery, if you ask me. It wasn't really discussed because this isn't something new -- we already had FS Global Ultimate. I'm not sure if it's the same addon. Someone will explain better than me. :P

Its just mesh. You need to have mesh, in fact everyone needs mesh to define The landscape.

It doesn't need to be PILOTS it can be any high quality mesh

ZORAN

It's junk, save your money. It's not Orbx but Pilots. 

It is excellent mesh along with Global Extreme mesh.

FSX already has a 38 to 300 meter mesh, changing the mesh can lead to differences in plateau height at airports, and can get a bit meshy. I've been flying around in the stock mesh with FTXG+V+oLC, seems quite good with respect to rivers in valleys, cliffs and so on. Depends very much on area, but a lot of places can look more or less the same with an add-in 19m mesh. You'll most likely want the best mesh you can get if you're going to do it. The quality of the source data and processing the mesh count's more than the ultimate resolution. FSX can only load a certain amount of mesh data, so as you increase the resolution, the area around the plane showing the mesh is reduced. In busy areas you may see mountains suddenly appear as they pop up on the horizon.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

That's one of the most banal statements I've read on here! and it's backed with no explanation as to why it's junk.

As explained by Gabriel it provides detailed elevation information for the whole world, so where FSX shows the land as being flat or not having much detail in mountainous areas FS Global will vastly improve that detail. it doesn't offer texture or stuff like that. 

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

Geez.  What a ridiculous statement.  Spilok!!  You need mesh!!  FSGlobal Ultimate is the current hot trick, but others work well too.  DoubleJ!!  You, sir are an &@($*...

OK....That explains a lot.  I will investigate.   I appreciate it.

Stan

Greeting All,

The FS Global FTX compatible mesh is THE terrain mesh used by the Orbx design teams when they are designing their products. By my way of thinking, it makes sense to use the same mesh that the designers use... Which I do and am very satisfied with.

Respectfully,

Brian

The FS Global FTX compatible mesh is THE terrain mesh used by the Orbx design teams when they are designing their products.

Actually, for the Orbx Regions they rely on Holger Sandmann's mesh; which they then very carefully match to the proper airport elevations along with the river polygons.

To me; with the exception of the Orbx Regions, the anomalies created by high resolution mesh are more noticeable than the benefits so I stopped using it.

To me; with the exception of the Orbx Regions, the anomalies created by high resolution mesh are more noticeable than the benefits so I stopped using it.

I mostly use photoscenery so I want a mesh that is as detailed as possible to bring out the details in the sat imagery, I can fix any elevation issues.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Greetings All,

Mman, your information is a bit dated. Holger did indeed do mesh work for some of the earlier Orbx stuff, most notably Australia. However, this is taken from the "FTX Definitiive Orbx Product Guide (Feb 2014), page 6:

FS Global 2010: FTX Edition

This product is actually not an ORBX product, but has been developed by Pilot's Software in close collaboration with ORBX.

FS Global 2010 has already established itself as a top quality worldwide terrain mesh, the FTX edition simply provides a downloadable version. ****It is also the mesh used by the ORBX developers and testers.****

Respectfully,

Brian

Holger is still part of the Orbx team and has been doing his magic on the latest U.S. regions..

Bert