Sign in to follow this  
spilok

What is FS Global Mesh?

The following Orbx regions all use Holger's mesh:
AU Australia
EU England
NA Pacific Northwest, Pacific Fjords, Northern Rocky Mountains, Central Rocky Mountains, Southern Alaska
NZ North Island, South Island

Working for Orbx instead of Pilot's, it stands to reason Holger has nothing to do with Pilot's Global mesh. With Orbx developers and testers working on Global (fixing thousands of errors and working on landclass) it requires the use of Pilot's mesh.

Greetings All,

You know, one thing we forgot to do was ask the OP, Spilok what his style of flying is. After all, all you airline types won't find high resolution mesh near as useful as I will flying GA in central Idaho.

Additionally, the FTX Compatible version comes with a handy "Airport Elevation Correction" utility that mitigates the worst of the plateau effects, though nothing helps when Microsoft puts the Airport in the wrong place. For example, my home field of ID85 is misplaced 1-1.5 Km east of where it should be. In FSX & P3D, that puts it inside the ridge... Orbx correctly places it in the valley where it belongs, while the Butte and said ridge are much more realistic after adding Pilot's (or FSGenesis') mesh.

Points to ponder. Respectfully,

Brian

To see the benefits of 10m mesh you have to be flying real close to the terrain. Look at this thread discussion http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/10m-mesh-shows-little-change-over-default.427327/ I had at FSDeveloper about this subject. Click on the small photo in the bottom of the thread ( or here: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/attachments/stuart-island-mesh-jpg.15873/ ) for an enlarged view of 10m mesh at Stuart Island, Washington and notice that mainly the foreground really shows the advantage of using 10m mesh.

The FS Pilot/Global/Ultimate mesh is good, but be prepared to reserve some 100 Gb of HD space and 3-4 hours to install!

The FS Pilot/Global/Ultimate mesh is good, but be prepared to reserve some 100 Gb of HD space and 3-4 hours to install!

Your mileage may vary.  Took my computer maybe 30 minutes, but yes, I've heard it can indeed be that long.

Do most of you just get the AMERICAS mesh, or do you buy it all?  Is FX Global ULTIMATE the one to go for?

Stan

Do most of you just get the AMERICAS mesh, or do you buy it all?  Is FX Global ULTIMATE the one to go for?

Stan

I just bought the Americas since, as pointed out above,  the mesh does take up a lot of space and I only ever fly in the USA with only the rarest (once every year or two) trips to Europe.  My VA is largely a USA only operation and the biggest, fastest airplane I personally fly is a King Air (my choice only).

Yes, I bought the Global Ultimate and am well satisfied.

Thanks, Woodhick.

I'll buy Ultimate today.

Stan

Thanks, Woodhick.

I'll buy Ultimate today.

Stan

Hello Stan, I was reading the post with great interest as i am in the same position now.

I thought if i bought the FTX Global+Vector+Europe I would be sorted but I seen a video on youtub displaying FTX Orbtx packages but it had a FS Global Mesh 2010 as well, and I am thinking, a crap more complications lol

So I'm just wondering what did you purchase the FS Global Mesh 2010 or the Ultimate Mesh and are you happy with your purchase.

Elaine

FWIW, just yesterday, I installed the Pilot's Ultimate The Americas mesh and what a difference it makes! While on approach to TJSJ, I was able to see PR as I remember it. Mountains, valleys and tons of hills splattered all over the metro San Juan area, just as in real life. It's amazing how much it did for immersion by just having a better mesh addon installed. I highly recommend it!

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

FWIW, just yesterday, I installed the Pilot's Ultimate The Americas mesh and what a difference it makes! While on approach to TJSJ, I was able to see PR as I remember it. Mountains, valleys and tons of hills splattered all over the metro San Juan area, just as in real life. It's amazing how much it did for immersion by just having a better mesh addon installed. I highly recommend it!

Hello Efrain. So with the Americas Ultinate Meah, you threw that over the FTX Global+Vector+Europe and then that's it, you have a complete scenery?

Just wondering, because I'm going to get the whole package myself but I suppose the last decision is Which mesh, FS Global 2010 or the ultimate stuff or is it really that noticeable.

Elaine.

Hello Efrain. So with the Americas Ultinate Meah, you threw that over the FTX Global+Vector+Europe and then that's it, you have a complete scenery?

Just wondering, because I'm going to get the whole package myself but I suppose the last decision is Which mesh, FS Global 2010 or the ultimate stuff or is it really that noticeable.

Elaine.

Hi Elaine,

I have yet to install my FTX Global/Vector because I have been flying MSE scenery exclusively, but the answer would be yes. FS Global 2010 will give you worldwide custom mesh while the ultimate stuff is more localized and I think it has a higher resolution as well.

In my case, I always fly in the western hemisphere, so I opted to go with Ultimate The Americas. I believe there is also a FS Global FTX edition, which should be an updated version of Global 2010 and catered to FTX Global. Or something to that effect.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Hi Elaine,

I have yet to install my FTX Global/Vector because I have been flying MSE scenery exclusively, but the answer would be yes. FS Global 2010 will give you worldwide custom mesh while the ultimate stuff is more localized and I think it has a higher resolution as well.

In my case, I always fly in the western hemisphere, so I opted to go with Ultimate The Americas. I believe there is also a FS Global FTX edition, which should be an updated version of Global 2010 and catered to FTX Global. Or something to that effect.

Thank you Efrain for the reply

Reading this with interest as it is a decision I no doubt will soon make. I note that many of the replies are from the  localized US flights... For me these seem well represented enough as is so I am more keen on the mesh effects for say, South America, and Africa, where the mesh is very poor- anyone with Global like to chip in and advise if these area's are much better than the default...

Those are ARE much better with Global Mesh, to 2010 version.