Sign in to follow this  
JaneRachel

777-300 expansion first impressions

Guys,

I quickly wanted to mention something as I have seen a lot of comments in various places with regard to the 300. Those comments allude to this being the 200LR with a stretched fuselage. As such some people are talking about passing on the expansion.

This could not be further from the truth, unlike some other sim developers, this is not just a change in external model. The 300 when you fly her (and I have been for a while now) flies like a COMPLETELY different bird to the LR. That stretched fuselage and more importantly, different powerplant makes a huge difference. You will notice that immediately on the first flight. The guys at PMDG have spent a long long time getting the 300 just right, to an incredible level of perfection and it has a completely different flight model. The cockpit may look pretty much the same, but under the hood this is not the same aircraft and it shows! There has been a huge amount of time spent on flight dynamics and aircraft power, etc etc. I am sure some of the other beta testers can chime in and confirm with me that in many ways, this feels like a whole new aircraft, which in fact it pretty much is!

I just wanted to chime in as comments about this being same plane, different external model are a long way from reality. She is a whole load of fun to fly and you will be managing the power much differently to the LR.

all the best

Jane Whittaker

- Jane Whittaker

Good morning Jane, 

Thank you for the note! Very much looking forward to the product. 

Cheers. 

Excellent! Its one thing to hear it in a .pdf but its another to hear it from a beta tester. Looking forward to sharing your experience.

PMDG at it's best :) 

I will definitely be buying 300ER. Not only because it is yet another great airplane but also because I want to support a developer who is keeping this hobby alive and has put so much time and effort in this for us simmers :)

I guess that, to some of our members, there is an urge to just own a hanger of many aircraft and not be the master of any :rolleyes:

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

I disagree. It maybe is a different flight model, and feels different, but I think you exaggerate the difference. All 777 share the same type rating, all you have to do is short difference training which would not be possible with the difference you emphasis. 

I disagree. It maybe is a different flight model, and feels different, but I think you exaggerate the difference. All 777 share the same type rating, all you have to do is short difference training which would not be possible with the difference you emphasis. 

Not so sure about the sim, won't be another 3 months before I can try out the 300ER.  I can speak for the real thing, my old man operates all the Qatar variants. He commented that the 300ER is like a cruise ship.  He likes to bid on freighter trips, he seems to prefer to  -200LR and Freighter variants. Much better performance. 

Rob Prest

I'm with Jane.

I know some of my posts have alluded to it being just a stretch of the 200LR without too much difference between the two, but that's from a visual and systems perspective.  I was saying that because people were asking for videos.  Visually, there isn't too much I can show.

Jane's definitely right about the feel.  It does feel like a completely different aircraft in that it feels more mature.  It's an aircraft that fits the engines nicely (or the engines fit it nicely).  It's not brash and sporty like the 200LR/F.  It's mature and well-rounded.  There's a certain docile feel to it.  I'd liken it to a Maserati.  You know the power is there, but it's refined and mature power.  It isn't like some of the all out race machines with no performance refinements and sound dampening.

Kyle Rodgers

So you'll reinburse me will you Kyle, if I decide it's pretty much the same?

Just thought I'd warn you that I will come to you for the dosh if you lie. :)

Guys,

Jane Wittaker is not just another beta tester. She flew 747-400 for Virgin Atlantic so I think she's pretty qualified to give an opinion on flight dynamics.

NAX669.png

So you'll reinburse me will you Kyle, if I decide it's pretty much the same?

Just thought I'd warn you that I will come to you for the dosh if you lie. :)

No reimbursements.  I'd just blame the "lie" on issues of multiple unchecked code modifications  :P

Kyle Rodgers

The 737-600 and 737-900 are the same type rating but have different flight characteristics, mostly related to the power to weight ratio but also fuselage length, just like the 777-200 and -300.

ki9cAAb.jpg

The 757 and 767 share the same type rating, the MD-10 and MD-11 share the same type rating. That does not mean they handle the same! As Flex said, the shorter variant is more powerful while the -300ER is like a big boat. Less climb power and much heavier. That is why I wont buy the ER as long as I can enjoy the service pack on the freighter.

No reimbursements.  I'd just blame the "lie" on issues of multiple unchecked code modifications  :P

Haha good point.

Guys,

Jane Wittaker is not just another beta tester. She flew 747-400 for Virgin Atlantic so I think she's pretty qualified to give an opinion on flight dynamics.

But she didn't fly the 777, so therefore not as qualified as you imply. 747's don't fly like 777's. However... I thank her for her comments.

We do have a 777 ER pilot on the forum though, so I'm sure he will give us his impressions.

More of a cash flow thing for me versus desire.

As well, if I want to see the weather radar etc I will need to consider that cash spoken for with ASE>ASN upgrade fee.

spacer.png