Sign in to follow this  
JaneRachel

777-300 expansion first impressions

hey guys what is the download size of the 77W?

113MB.

SP1 is 109MB

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

Haha good point.

But she didn't fly the 777, so therefore not as qualified as you imply. 747's don't fly like 777's. However... I thank her for her comments.

We do have a 777 ER pilot on the forum though, so I'm sure he will give us his impressions.

Sorry for the double post.

NAX669.png

Haha good point.

But she didn't fly the 777, so therefore not as qualified as you imply. 747's don't fly like 777's. However... I thank her for her comments.

We do have a 777 ER pilot on the forum though, so I'm sure he will give us his impressions.

Martin,

I don't know if she's 777 qualified or not. She's still more qualified than the 99.9% of the desktop pilots who try to speak with authority on the subject. I'm sure Captain Randazzo picked her for the beta team for more reasons than just her good looks.

NAX669.png

In my first flight, which was at MTOW, I definitely noticed differences between the -200LR and -300ER.  It took more power to break away for taxiing.  V2 was 183, which is 15-20 knots higher than any -200LR V2 I've used.  It took more effort on my part to get the nose down at  acceleration height and get my speed up, probably because I was used to the quick acceleration of the -200LR.  The clean speed was around 265 and it climbed at 1200fpm to the initial FL280.

When I landed 15 hours later, I actually found it easier to land than the -200LR.  Maybe it was beginner's luck.  And I haven't tried the -200LR with SP1 yet, so some of the difference might be attributable to the changes to the FBW model.

The new datalink feature is really cool.  I didn't get descent winds on my first attempt (INVALID FORECAST UPLINK) because I missed a step in ASN.  But, after a quick reread of that section of the 777 Intro doc, I performed the missing step and all was well.  There were no CBs enroute, so I didn't get to see the integrated WX radar in action.  For datalink functions, I don't know if there's a list floating around of which airlines use it for flight plans and/or winds.  In the JustPlanes videos for Air Canada's 777's, they entered the flight plans by hand (and I don't recall how they entered the winds).

Overall, for me, adding the -300ER is a much bigger change than adding the 737-6/700 was for the NGX.  I think it was a bargain at $29.99.

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

Martin,

I don't know if she's 777 qualified or not. She's still more qualified than the 99.9% of the desktop pilots who try to speak with authority on the subject. I'm sure Captain Randazzo picked her for the beta team for more reasons than just her good looks.

I didn't say she wasn't more quailed than the majority of us amateurs who have never flown an airliner... Clearly someone who has flown an airliner is more knowledgeable than someone who hasn't.

You said... "She flew 747-400 for Virgin Atlantic so I think she's pretty qualified to give an opinion on flight dynamics."

General flight dynamics yes... but  we are talking about the "specific" flight dynamics of a "specific" aircraft. Flying a 747, doesn't tell you anything about how a 777 flies. That's just common sense. The flight dynamics of different aircraft vary, sometimes wildly.

For example... prior to SP1 there were many real world airline pilots on the forum that felt the PMDG 777 was realistic... until myself and others queried the flight dynamics. Rob confirmed that the flight dynamics were way off.

As I said, Rob on the forum is a 777 pilot. Thus has first hand experience of "exactly" how the 777 behaves. If Jane has never flown the real 777 she won't. AS evidenced by the fact that Jane and the rest of the beta testers didn't spot that the flight dynamics in terms of trim were completely wrong prior to SP1.

It's also worth pointing out that in her piece, at no time did she claim to be experienced in terms of real 777 flight dynamics. Her only point was that the 300 simulation flies differently to the 200.

Martin,

I don't disagree at all. I don't know if Jane has any hands on 777 experience or even simulator time on the 777. Which Rob is the 777 pilot? I own the 777-200 but I don't fly it a lot because I just don't have the time to do the long hauls that the airplane was intended for, therefore I don't follow the forums as closely for this aircraft as I do for some others.

NAX669.png

Martin,

I don't disagree at all. I don't know if Jane has any hands on 777 experience or even simulator time on the 777. Which Rob is the 777 pilot? I own the 777-200 but I don't fly it a lot because I just don't have the time to do the long hauls that the airplane was intended for, therefore I don't follow the forums as closely for this aircraft as I do for some others.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/446943-handling-dynamics-with-redesigned-fbw-sytems/page-2#entry3037507

777simmer

I did my second flight today (VHHH-EGLL) and weather was terrible at VHHH. The difference between 772 and 773 is that 772 manage it very well, while 773 had to struggle. And I like that feeling. Only thing that can be better now is 777 and 747 for P3D. Just bought it and it runs so smooth on my computer, even with shadows on max.