Sign in to follow this  
Zoho30

Modifieng the CRUISING ALT sounds----------》like a real (it should mosly WINDs sound)

Hello folks

Hope you well.

Lets understand the idea, in the cruising ALT most of sound you hear in the cockpit is the WIND sounds (due to the high speed the aircraft should in), there is no engine sound noticed during the cruise.

Inside FSX most of third party Aircrafts loosing this advantage. & Yes for anyone should notice that if entered to the cockpit during the cruise. (or see youtube vids u will noticed that)

And I believe there is a way to modify the AIRCRAFT.CFG to reduce the engine sounds inside the cockpit till reaching a specific speeds (cruising speed and lets say its a 270knots).

can I get any help to do that.Finally hope anyone try that because its a real feel if done that, especially during the cruise.

Thx.

I only know how to do this for FS9.  If you can send my your sound.cfg I can take a look for whatever FSX aircraft you are using. I could see if the same method works.

Most payware aircraft like PMDG have modeled what you describe correctly.

Rob Prest

I only know how to do this for FS9. If you can send my your sound.cfg I can take a look for whatever FSX aircraft you are using. I could see if the same method works.

Most payware aircraft like PMDG have modeled what you describe correctly.

Yes especially in NGX, but they not modeled to reducing the engine sound in the cockpit.

What i am looking for is 100% editing procedures in the sound cfg.

In fact I edit the WIND section in the PMDG747 sound.cfg make it play in 250knots. I found the wind section clearly in the sound.cfg [WIND].

But I dont know the name of engine sound inside the cockpit inside sound.cfg.

!!!!!!

You will not be able to reproduce this 100%, The reason the engine sounds fade is because the air density decreases as you climb.  

This is 'Not' possible to simulate in FSX

As I previously mentioned, you can simulate this in FS9 on a basic level through the sound.cfg.  My method was to adjust how the wind volume increases depending on the Aircraft's speed & create custom wind sound files.

Rob Prest

The sound engine in FSX is like a basket of wet cats.

The sound engine in FSX is like a basket of wet cats.

Have never understood why people complain about the sound. Get yourself an expensive surround sound system and a buttkicker hooked up. Pure immersion, at least with the PMDG 777 & the FS9 bus I have installed.

edit - I reckon FSPS could create a tool that adjusts engine sound based on pressure altitude. In theory it could be quite simple.

Rob Prest

You will not be able to reproduce this 100%, The reason the engine sounds fade is because the air density decreases as you climb.

This is 'Not' possible to simulate in FSX

No? :smile:

Andrew Wilson

sig_fslDeveloper.jpg

Have never understood why people complain about the sound. Get yourself an expensive surround sound system and a buttkicker hooked up. Pure immersion, at least with the PMDG 777 & the FS9 bus I have installed.

edit - I reckon FSPS could create a tool that adjusts engine sound based on pressure altitude. In theory it could be quite simple.

I have playing the FSX in harman kardon sorround system (costs 750$) ,

imagine that, when I am in the cruising altitude I go to the fsx sou d settinv and reduce the engine sounds to 0%, when the aircraft reaches to TOD I coming back to the FSX sound setting to return the engine sounds to the normal (50%).

Thats why I try to do that, and believe me there is a way to do that.

Thats why I try to get the help.

You do hear engine sounds in a cockpit, unless you are so far away like in a 747. It's mostly a low rumble and the wind sounds are very loud, but you do hear engines. The NGX has a realistic soundset so does the 777X.

No?

Andy, if anyone can pull it off I'm sure your guy's will be the first  :BigGrin:

You do hear engine sounds in a cockpit, unless you are so far away like in a 747. It's mostly a low rumble and the wind sounds are very loud, but you do hear engines. The NGX has a realistic soundset so does the 777X.

I spent over 10 years jump seating on the A320/330/340/737 Jurrasic/767/Tristar....    Believe me, in cruise with the flight deck door closed you don't hear anything except wind hitting the windscreen.  Youtube Video etc do not reproduce what it really sounds like when you are sitting on the flight deck. 

Even at low altitude at high speed it feels very strange. I can remember sitting on the jumpseat of an A340 departing out of Heathrow at night enroute to Bahrain, they flew  the Dover SID at 6000ft. ATC gave the crew a no speed restriction &  340 knots was selected.  As the aircraft accelerated the whole flightdeck was immersed in a high end hissing sound. It was incredibly eerie.

Even PMDG admit they have not been able to reproduce this. Have a check over on there forums, it has been discussed a few times. 

Rob Prest

I agree to FLEX`78.

Especially in Airbus'es cockpits you don't quite hear much of the enginges as soon as some speed is gained.

As long as FSX doesn't simulate VIBRATIONS we have to cope with that. Because you feel the engine vibrations more, than you hear their sound.

You can even "feel" an enroute climb or descent if you know what to expect.

Best regards,

Tom

Sorry, forgot one thing:

I'm using the sound.cfg to control it:

I have set the "maximum_speed=" to 250 kts

and raised the maximum volume to my taste.

Remember the maximum speed refers to IAS. I you set your maximum speed to lets say 300kts the sound will

decrease volume as soon as you climb to the higher levels where IAS drops and MACH raises.

250-270 works fine for me.

Tom

I agree to FLEX`78.

Especially in Airbus'es cockpits you don't quite hear much of the enginges as soon as some speed is gained.

As long as FSX doesn't simulate VIBRATIONS we have to cope with that. Because you feel the engine vibrations more, than you hear their sound.

You can even "feel" an enroute climb or descent if you know what to expect.

Best regards,

Tom

Sorry, forgot one thing:

I'm using the sound.cfg to control it:

I have set the "maximum_speed=" to 250 kts

and raised the maximum volume to my taste.

Remember the maximum speed refers to IAS. I you set your maximum speed to lets say 300kts the sound will

decrease volume as soon as you climb to the higher levels where IAS drops and MACH raises.

250-270 works fine for me.

Tom

TomEDDW, Are you talken about the engine sound inside the cockpit.

If so, so whats the aircraft you make your sound changes on ?

Nope, it's the wind sound. Just make it louder and you'll hear less engines at cruise.

You have to fiddle a bit to keep all sounds in the right balance.

I'm using it with the BBS Airbus right now. It should work with any plane.

Regards,

Tom

Nope, it's the wind sound. Just make it louder and you'll hear less engines at cruise.

You have to fiddle a bit to keep all sounds in the right balance.

I'm using it with the BBS Airbus right now. It should work with any plane.

Regards,

Tom

Hi tom

Did u try to do this with PMDG NGX ?

I try to do yhat but no luck !!!

Sorry, i'm not owning the NGX yet.

search for the "sound.cfg" file of the NGX open it and in there you should find a "Wind" or "Windsound" (or whatever) section.

Then you can edit those parameters.

But if i'm right, not all of those 3rd party addons use the classical sound.cfg file.

Hope this helps,

Tom