Sign in to follow this  
oskrypuch

DF A36 vs Piper Meridian

I bought the Meridian some time ago, as well as the docs that go with it. Quite enjoy it, it also includes the first release of the Reality XP GPS.Now the A36 has a little different mission when it comes to flying, but I'm not asking about that, but about the quality of the sim itself ...For someone that has both, can you compare them?* Orest-~~~~~~~~~Orest Skrypuchvirtual.united.comUAL1445 Staff ORDFO

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

Guest moonkey

I have the A36 and like it a lot, don't have the Meridian although that model was first released for FS2002 and is able to fly faster and at higher altitude than the Bonanza.

At this moment Meridian is a bit dated product (though still very good) and as we all know we see constant progress in the quality of the simulation. For example the virtual cockpit in the A36 belongs to a completely new generation.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guest bigun

Orest,I've had the Meridian since the day it was released and still fly it regularly. I also have the A36 and it is as good if not better. Of course the quality is top notch since it's Dreamfleet. The instruments are even smoother than the Meridian and the FD are fantastic.

Guest DNelson

So you have both the A36 and the Meridian working OK in the same FS installation? I've been wondering about that, since they each use a different version of a Reality XP Garmin gauge. I've read of some people installing the new Reality XP Garmin 430/530, then having problems with the old Garmin 530 in the Meridian.

Guest aca_dia

>The instruments are even smoother than the>Meridian and the FD are fantastic.I have to strongly disagree with that. The Meggitt avionics in the Meridian are as smooth as they get. The Bonanza avionics are more or less like the default aircraft in terms of refresh rates. Night and day in my opinion with the Meridian still substantially smoother instruments on the 2D panel and as good in the VC.

Guest bigun

"I have to strongly disagree with that. The Meggitt avionics in the Meridian are as smooth as they get. The Bonanza avionics are more or less like the default aircraft in terms of refresh rates. Night and day in my opinion with the Meridian still substantially smoother instruments on the 2D panel and as good in the VC."OK, if you say so, but not for me.

I have the A36 and have been very impressed. Sometime ago I downloaded the Meridian but never went through with the purchase and install. After the A36 would it be something of a letdown to purchase and install the Meridian now? Opinions seem to be divided in this thread.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest mtlmtl

At one time the Meridian was my favorite. But for some reason it never performed as good in FS2004 as it did in FS2002. I dont know why when I'm using a faster computer now, but I think it had something to do with the 2004 update for me. I was reluctant to purchase the A36, but with such good results from the original Meridian release and the ATR I went for it. The A36 performs excellently; the main problem I have with the meridian is when I change views the wing textures make a stutter to load. The A36 is very smooth; the pilot animation is the best I've ever seen and the new RXP GPS seems more sharp than the Meridian's 530. I haven't been in storms with the radar yet, but when considering all that is included with this plane I think its one of the best deals out there right now for a payware aircraft. This is one nice aircraft to sightsee in, and the quality of the model is better that the Meridian. I just can't figure out why my A36 has such good performance while my Meridian suffers in FS2004. My advice; If you liked the complexity and handling of the Meridian, you'll enjoy the same with the A36 as well as the higher quality eye candy. Did you have the Meridian for FS2002, of just FS2004? I had good FPS with the Meridian in FS2004 before the update was released that added the opening baggage doors in the nose as well as full compatibility; but after the update it performed sluggish, even when reinstalling with the new FS2004 installer. Right now I'm mainly flying the A36 with PNW Megascenery. It may take a while to load, but the results have really surprised me; very smooth with high FPS.

Wow, thanks for all the replies.I currently have the Meridian installed in FS9, and have been pretty happy with it -- although I haven't run it much lately. I've heard a lot of good things about the new A36, and was wondering whether to bag that as well.I have the Cardinal, which is a lot of fun. The A36 is obviously (RL plane-wise) about in between in performance. Looks like the sim might be a bit better, or at least as good, from the comments.* Orest-~~~~~~~~~Orest Skrypuchvirtual.united.comUAL1445 Staff ORDFO

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

Looks as if I might be a bit disappointed if I purchased the Meridian now.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest Herrie

I think this would be a good moment for Flight1 to sink the price for the Meridian.

I have both. I put about 200+ hours on the Meridian in FS2002/04. For me, the Meridian is a little dated and it doesn't run as well for me in 04 as in 02 just like a previous post said. So, I've parked it on the "For Sale" lot so to speak. But the one thing I loved about the Meridian was the gauge refresh rate-it was outstandingly smooth on the meggit displays.The A36 is my newest toy and I love it. I do think that it is on a much higher level than the Meridian-and it should be since it's brand new. But I enjoy the A36 as much or more than I did the Meridian when it came out. I think you should definitely buy it.

Well, I think I'm going to put it on my list.What about the DOCs that come with the A36? Is there a good review of the panel, performance tables and the like?* Orest-~~~~~~~~~Orest Skrypuchvirtual.united.comUAL1445 Staff ORDFO

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com