Sign in to follow this  
Pantera87

Weather Radar not working with ASN

Kyle,

I understand the need to "head off people reporting issues," and I'm sure that you're not referring to me in particular.

Personally, I'm aware of how the weather radar functions. I've spend the past several months reading that section of the manual in preparation for the release. I'm far from an expert, but I have taken the time to educate myself.

Networking ASN has its advantages, even if the performance impact is not huge, every little bit helps. I do get better performance when I run ASN on the second computer.

In addition to the better performance, being able to control/analyze the weather from a second computer, without having to minimize or pause the sim is perhaps the biggest advantage. I can keep a eye on (change) the weather at my destination, my alternate, ect, all without having to pause and minimize the sim. Not only is this more realistic in terms of what would be happening in a real cockpit, but I've found that FSX really does not like it when you minimize it or use other programs while it is running.

Also, I run PFPX on the second computer, PFPX can pull the weather from ASN directly which is an excellent feature.

Yes, setting it all up to run on the second machine was not easy, but it was certainly worth it. I'd rather not have the weather radar feature, than move ASN back to the primary machine.

I can assure you that ASN is sending precip data to the sim, the rain is visible out the window, but not on the radar.

Has the weather radar worked successfully when ASN is networked? If the answer is no, life goes on. The improvements to the flight dynamics are the highlight of this update anyway.

If you could point me in a direction to work in so I can solve this issue that would be great too.

Iordan Koulov

Kyle,

I understand the need to "head off people reporting issues," and I'm sure that you're not referring to me in particular.

Personally, I'm aware of how the weather radar functions. I've spend the past several months reading that section of the manual in preparation for the release. I'm far from an expert, but I have taken the time to educate myself.

Networking ASN has its advantages, even if the performance impact is not huge, every little bit helps. I do get better performance when I run ASN on the second computer.

In addition to the better performance, being able to control/analyze the weather from a second computer, without having to minimize or pause the sim is perhaps the biggest advantage. I can keep a eye on (change) the weather at my destination, my alternate, ect, all without having to pause and minimize the sim. Not only is this more realistic in terms of what would be happening in a real cockpit, but I've found that FSX really does not like it when you minimize it or use other programs while it is running.

Also, I run PFPX on the second computer, PFPX can pull the weather from ASN directly which is an excellent feature.

Yes, setting it all up to run on the second machine was not easy, but it was certainly worth it. I'd rather not have the weather radar feature, than move ASN back to the primary machine.

I can assure you that ASN is sending precip data to the sim, the rain is visible out the window, but not on the radar.

Has the weather radar worked successfully when ASN is networked? If the answer is no, life goes on. The improvements to the flight dynamics are the highlight of this update anyway.

If you could point me in a direction to work in so I can solve this issue that would be great too.

Iordan Koulov

It has - I am running ASN networked (wired through a gigabit switch) and am getting precipitation representations on the weather radar.

And Kyle, my experience is that FSX runs better with ASN on a networked machine.

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

It works!!! somewhat

I am picking up precip with the radar now, however ASN is feeding radar data in a very perplexing manner, all the returns are low intensity, perfectly square boxes. This is both on the ND within the sim, and on the map that ASN provides.

Ill work on it more tom.

Iordan Koulov

Same issue for me. Already reinstalled asn and pmdg 777 - issue is still there, and when I click "test" button - only "test" and "windshear" titles appear without any colors on display.

Anton K.

I'm wondering if I am getting normal returns. 

My weather radar is sort of working. I am getting very "blocky" returns, which I do not think is normal. I have ASN running historical weather for KNPA at 11:00Z on April 30, 2014, just like vr-pilot suggested. I have restarted my system, and deleted the FSUPIC.ini file and let it regenerate when I started FSX. After doing so, this is what I got. 

2014_7_19_9_10_37_49.png

Weather Radar Returns

2014_7_19_9_11_28_832.png

WXR Panel Settings

Capture.png

ASN Settings. 

Links in case attached pictures do not work: 

http://s29.postimg.org/u02edkddz/2014_7_19_9_10_37_49.png

http://s27.postimg.org/tskd8n1sv/2014_7_19_9_11_28_832.png

http://s27.postimg.org/r8fjn1zhb/Capture.png

I am just wondering if these returns are normal for the situation that I am in. The returns look too blocky, and unrealistic, but maybe that is just the way its supposed to be. With heavy thunderstroms, I was expecting to see some yellow, and pink as well. Also, I thought the returns would be rounder and not square. Any help would be appreciated. 

Arzaan Khairulla

Good morning America, good night Australia!

Here some pics of the PWS functioning well in my mentioned ASN-scenario (KNPA, April 30th 2014, 1100Z (dawn)). But remember: PWS in flight only below 1200ft AGL (radio alt)!

2014-7-19_14-44-11-219_zps69780d18.jpg

2014-7-19_14-44-14-278_zps694d2748.jpg

2014-7-19_14-44-27-901_zps0001b59c.jpg

Here is where and when to find these conditions:

(T/O KNPA25L, intercept KJKA ILS0727 and try an approach (but DO NOT touch down; the RWY is far too small!), G/A and then fly some circles in the area...)

Capture-edit_zps57f48c76.jpg

Have a nice trip!  B)

Edited by vr-pilot

I cant get the radar to work also  :mellow: and on top of that when i press the test button on the radar panel i get a CTD with FSx restart

Radar working fine after restart but test button still CTD 

I've added a ticket to support, may be  they can help me :mellow:  btw, here is the screenshot of my issue: 

JwQz.jpg

Anton K.

Make sure to run ASN as administrator before starting fsx (as admin), AND make sure you have the latest FSUIPC just in case.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Any help would be appreciated.

As you are in VAR mode (ND) I suppose you had set the map gain to high in order to see some precipitation echoes at all. I guess this can make the echoes look quite ugly.

It seems to be like a bright day already in front of your cockpit. Probably you should set the time back to 1100 Z (UTC), which is just like selecting "dawn" in the FSX time menu. This will get a quite dark morning with a lot of flashes in between black clouds all around...

Radar working fine after restart but test button still CTD 

I have no idea what all these CTDs causes. I NEVER had one CTD (knocking on wood!). Sometimes, very rare (like after 20 to 40 operating hours or so), there is a chance that my laptop just makes a quick shut down (on roll out or vacating RWY).

I have no special hardware or software setups. I just use a Bojote tweaked cfg-file and now FSPS FA and everything flows "like butter".

I run fsx, pmdg t7/ngx, fsps fa, fsps simphysics, rcv4, ezca, asn, trackirv5, gsx, ut2, utx eu/us, gex etc. all at one time in nvidia-3d-vision2 (1280x720) and "let them all do what they want".

If you look at my PC specs you can see that I am still having a rather small machine.

Perhaps your CTDs are due to an OOM or dll-crash as they occur in the moment of a relatively high/additional demand on resources...

Probably there is everything "maxed out" in your configs.

Im am no PC expert but I work/live with them 10 or 12 hrs. a day. Perhaps I got "assimilated" by them so that we are best friends most of the times...

Edited by vr-pilot

I am having no problems whatsoever. Just remember folks that previous wx radars have given the impression that once there are clouds out there you "must" see something, but as was mentioned before, sometimes it will show nothing. At the moment I am headed across the atlantic and for the first hour or so I had no rendering on my wx radar. Shortly after passing some weather systems over Shannon, my wx radar picked up some bad wx to the north of my position.

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer

As you are in VAR mode (ND) I suppose you had set the map gain to high in order to see some precipitation echoes at all. I guess this can make the echoes look quite ugly.

It seems to be like a bright day already in front of your cockpit. Probably you should set the time back to 1100 Z (UTC), which is just like selecting "dawn" in the FSX time menu. This will get a quite dark morning with a lot of flashes in between black clouds all around...

I think I am still having a problem. Here is a screenshot.

Capture.png

http://s28.postimg.org/qyrbpmewt/Capture.png

As you can see, the ASN map is showing precipitation everywhere, but I do not see anything on the ND. The Gain is not turned up, but according to vr-flyer, his WXR wasn't in "VAR" mode, and he got returns on the radar (see his above post).

Oh, if it is of any help, I get a message saying something along the lines of "Simulator Module Installed. ASN has installed/modified a required simulator module." every time I run ASN. Everything usually works fine, and I get my weather updates as planned.

Have the same issue, i did go into a location with really nasty Wx but still did not see anything, opened a support ticket thereafter...Btw just purchased -300ER let me report back after testing if the problem is on that too

Aaqib Afzal

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

Same issue as above, Re installed FSUIPC deleted INI. Have ASN on same PC. Restarted. Same result .

Y. Cade

In my opinion it's not FSUIPC, you just haven't found it yet. Or you look at the wrong altitude. It works very well, even if ASN depicts it in a rather repetitive, immersion breaking way.

I have seen weather east of KMIA 2 hours ago and was forced to increase altitude to FL330 in western Poland just now.

It's simply good weather on Planet Earth today. ^_^

Sunny regards,

L. Rathenau