Sign in to follow this  
W2DR

Why cant FS hold a VOR course?

Guest TimQ

When I load a vor freq into NAV1 and assign a course to hold to the VOR, the aircraft keeps swerving back and forth trying to intercept the course, and keep turning past it and then turning back just to go by it again? This is with the NAV hold on autopilot on.Is this a glitch or what?

It will oscillate a bit before it's established on course, after that it's rock sollid. Of course some 3rd party aircraft have pretty poor tracking compared with the defaults due to their FDEs or gauges but no use blaming that on Microsoft.If anything FS aircraft track VORs far better than real ones...

Guest TimQ

What do you mean for a bit? It did it for like 10 minutes and looked like it was getting worse.

Guest av84fun

Tim, you didn't mention which aircraft, but ITRW, unless you center the needle BEFORE arming nav tracking, you will do S turns to both sides of center for quite a while...likely not 10 minutes though...in most GA machines.The correct procedure is to hand fly until you are established on your chosen radial and then launch the AP in NAV mode.Pretty much the same with intercepting ILS courses with most relatively low cost GA autopilots.If you are established before you launch the AP and you STILL wander, then there is a glitch somewhere.Regards,Jim

Guest rino

FS2002 or FS2004?I had this problem in FS2002, no longer in FS2004Regards

Guest TimQ

GPS Switch is off yes, and yes it is FS2002.I figured you were supposed to intercept it first, so I tried that, then when i was lined up and engaged the NAV hold, if it became just the slightest bit off, it would fo a full turn in the direction it needs to go, but always overshoot, then turn around and do the same thing over and over.

Guest rino

Switch to FS2004, VOR and ILS are much more stable and enjoyable

Guest TimQ

I was thinking of that but how long do you think it will be until the next FS is released, better to wait?

If Lou Betti is correct (and I've no reason to think otherwise) another year or so at least.

Spring or summer of 2006 (or fall or winter depending on where you live).

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.