Sign in to follow this  
jasoncardeira

Problems with time compression 8x

Hi Paul,

I noticed that once we use time compression and the course strays off and the autopilot starts to struggle to correct and the Nav data is all over the shop. Then the incorrect data starts like when we are turning left the ND shows that we are going right. The FMC is counting up when we are actually heading towards the destination. I reprogram the FMC also cant change this by skipping the next waypoint to head direct to the next one.

Regards,

Ronald

Yes it is safe to assume that. It's because the plane cannot stay on course at 8x+, for reasons yet discovered, that auto time compression lowers the simrate to get the plane back on course. It is essentially the same issue, which is the plane cannot stay on course simulating at 8x+.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I noticed that once we use time compression and the course strays off and the autopilot starts to struggle to correct and the Nav data is all over the shop. Then the incorrect data starts like when we are turning left the ND shows that we are going right. The FMC is counting up when we are actually heading towards the destination. I reprogram the FMC also cant change this by skipping the next waypoint to head direct to the next one.

Regards,

Ronald

Yes, that sounds like it. Actually when you're in the sim and you start to see the FMC counting up as oppose to down to the next waypoint, check your map in the alt menu to see your flight path. You'll notice you actually are heading the other way and the plane has done a 180 degree turn. So when it's counting up, it's because you actually are increasing your distance to the next waypoint. Very curious issue this is I will say.

Paul

I should mention I have an older machine (Core2Duo) and a Logitech Attack 3 joystick in case it makes my information less useful but my OS is Windows 7 64bit.

1) Do you see the airplane begin to wander in 8x+ time compression if you use PMDG's Auto-Time-Compression feature?

Yes

2) Do you see the airplane begin to wander in 8x+ time compression if you manually set the time compression using the FSX menu or key commands?

Yes

3) Do you have FSUIPC installed?

No

3a) Which version is installed?

Not applicable

3b) Have you tried deleting your FSUIPC config file and letting it rebuild?

Not applicable

4) Have you tried deleting your FSX.CFG file and letting it rebuild?

Yes

5) Do you have Lockheed Martin Prepar3d installed on this machine?

No

6) When the airplane begins to wander, watch the HEADING ROSE on the NAV DISPLAY very carefully. Is it rotating in the proper direction and remaining in sync with the airplane heading?

At the 8x time compression, the heading rose is always in sync with the aircraft heading but, as the deviations become larger and reach 90º on either side of the flight path, the horizon line quickly becomes out of sync with the position trend vector, i.e. the horizon line shows a left bank while the position trend vector shows a right turn (is that what you meant?). Also, returning from extreme deviations, the aircraft symbol doesn't turn towards the flight path but slides sideways. When the time compression is returned to 1x, the flight very slowly returns to normal.

Dugald Walker

1) Do you see the airplane begin to wander in 8x+ time compression if you use PMDG's Auto-Time-Compression feature

Yes

2) Do you see the airplane begin to wander in 8x+ time compression if you manually set the time compression using the FSX menu or key commands?

Yes

Yes

No

No

No

6) When the airplane begins to wander, watch the HEADING ROSE on the NAV DISPLAY very carefully.  Is it rotating in the proper direction and remaining in sync with the airplane heading?  If not- we need to know.

No it keeps on correct heading while aircraft is at full bank angle

Hope this helps

Scott

Scott Griffiths

any updates for the solution? or what it can possibly be?

1) Do you see the airplane begin to wander in 8x+ time compression if you use PMDG's Auto-Time-Compression feature

Yes

Yes

Yes

the latest one

No

yes

No

6) When the airplane begins to wander, watch the HEADING ROSE on the NAV DISPLAY very carefully.  Is it rotating in the proper direction and remaining in sync with the airplane heading?  If not- we need to know.

Yes when aircraft turns right the ND will say that it steady or turning in the oppesite direction

Gents,

I think some of you misunderstand question 6 : The question is when the aircraft banks RIGHT does your reported heading INCREASE ? 100...101.102.103 etc etc In other words does the plane seem to turn right ? And vice versa.

Here is question 7 : If you disconnect the AP and fly manually at 8x (ok we dont need to be accurate here just bank the plane left or right) is the change of heading the same as direction of bank  ? RIGHT bank, heading increasing (plane turns right), LEFT bank heading decreasing (plane turns left).

I would be keen also to know at time compression 2x and 4x whether the direction of turn follows the direction of bank. Carefully monitor reported headings in the ND.

Best,

Vangelis

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

Vangelis,

it seems that at 2x and 4x the direction of turn is indicated correctly on the ND.

at 8x, however, also when handflying her the numbers are decreasing in a right turn at first. that's all i could test because it is pretty much impossible to hand fly her at 8x. i "managed" to crash her from FL320 only attempting a few turns at 8x... the airplane was mostly unresponsive to my control inputs. not sure if that is part of the problem?

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

For question 6, on autopilot at 8x, the heading rose is not in sync with the actual turning of the aircraft but it is in sync with the position trend vector.

For question 7, on manual at 4x, the aircraft responds immediately and correctly to the movement of the control wheel, i.e. The direction of turn follows the direction of bank. At 8x, there is initially a 2-3 second delay before the aircraft responds to the control wheel plus a further 2-3 second delay before the heading rose responds to the visual change in direction of the aircraft. I'm not sure but I think the delays become longer and it quickly becomes impossible to control the aircraft.

Dugald Walker

Guys  I was under the impression that time compression was the intelligent way to speed up the sim. When PMDG first told us about time compression, they said it would speed up the game in level flight and slow down for turns. Before the 777, if I ever tried speeding up the sim, I would get the same problems, sometimes it would even crash

Seems to me that some of you guys are using fsx to change to sim rate instead of using the clock of fmc. I have mine set to 8x and its working fine. Sometime it slows down to 4 or 2x depending on how much stuff need to be processed, then it will go right back up to 8x.

Make sure in the auto cruise page, you keep the sim rate at 1X and just change the auto time compression rate. When you turn on the time compression the time on the clock should be green, not red like what was shown in the video couple pages back. Thats probably why you guys are having issues

Pierre W

Same problem here. I opened an support ticket with PMDG. I do recommend you guys to the same so they can open a bug track and fix it!

Same problem here. I opened an support ticket with PMDG. I do recommend you guys to the same so they can open a bug track and fix it!

In my case, when I set the Sim Rate to 1x and the Auto Time Compression to 8x, then right click the clock, the time turns to green and the 8x is activated.

Within a few seconds, the time compression drops down to 2x and the sim rate is also changed to 2x.

At the same time, right clicking the clock no longer works and I have to disengage the Auto Time Compression through the Auto Cruise page.

Dugald Walker

Gents,

I think some of you misunderstand question 6 : The question is when the aircraft banks RIGHT does your reported heading INCREASE ? 100...101.102.103 etc etc In other words does the plane seem to turn right ? And vice versa.

Here is question 7 : If you disconnect the AP and fly manually at 8x (ok we dont need to be accurate here just bank the plane left or right) is the change of heading the same as direction of bank  ? RIGHT bank, heading increasing (plane turns right), LEFT bank heading decreasing (plane turns left).

Manual flight seems to have same behaviour as with AP. A left turn results in no heading change or a slight increase in heading change.

I would be keen also to know at time compression 2x and 4x whether the direction of turn follows the direction of bank. Carefully monitor reported headings in the ND.

Yes, at 2x and 4x the plane behaves normally, a right turn results in an increase in heading and vice versa.

Best,

Vangelis

Gents-

I have the airplane running on 16x right now without any trouble.

I need some information beyond "it doesn't work" if I am going to succeed in duplicating your report...  Acceleration is always twitchy- so I need to know what you are running in the background, etc...   No detail is too small.

This is contradictory of what PMDG states in the Tutorial 1: "we suggest either leaving it (time compresion) at the default 4x or increasing it to 8x". PMDG should just have one word.

Edward

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers