Sign in to follow this  
jasoncardeira

Problems with time compression 8x

it actually seems as if we are seeing two different problems in this thread. one is that if you manually set time compression to 8x the airplanes acts up, and the other is that on AUTO time compresssion the airplane won't hold 8x or more for longer than around 10 seconds. however, when it does that, it makes a course correction without problems. it just really slows down the flight because it goes back to 1x rate for about 15 seconds at a time. that is at least what i see.

is it safe to assume that who is seeing one of those problems is also seeing the other? i am only using AUTO cruise so i haven't tried the manual version. will try when i get a chance. has anyone tried both variants and seen the above symptoms?

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

The last advice from support is for me to delete fsx and reinstall clean! Well, did anyone with this S-turn problem have tried the reinstall and magically the problem is gone? We all know it is a huge time consuming task. I may try uninstall T7 and reinstall first but did this help some of you?

Francis

Francis-

Ignore the advice to reinstall.  Paul and I were just discussing that and we gave you incorrect guidance.  (Sorry!)

Gents-

Right now we are at a loss to explain why some users are seeing this- so we are still in data collection mode.

Initially when we investigated, we found that it was happening to some users who were programming unrealistically long legs- and thought that was the cause.  We were wrong...

Right now we are looking for some feedback on this topic- and we want to know the following things: (Please don't guess- go check in the sim!)

1) Do you see the airplane begin to wander in 8x+ time compression if you use PMDG's Auto-Time-Compression feature?

2) Do you see the airplane begin to wander in 8x+ time compression if you manually set the time compression using the FSX menu or key commands?

3) Do you have FSUIPC installed?

3a) Which version is installed?

3b) Have you tried deleting your FSUIPC config file and letting it rebuild?

4) Have you tried deleting your FSX.CFG file and letting it rebuild?

5) Do you have Lockheed Martin Prepar3d installed on this machine?

6) When the airplane begins to wander, watch the HEADING ROSE on the NAV DISPLAY very carefully.  Is it rotating in the proper direction and remaining in sync with the airplane heading?  If not- we need to know.

Some background for you:  We are collecting information into a simulated data management system directly from FSX.  We collect that data via simconnect.  We are seeing a pattern in which the heading information being displayed does not seem to be in sync with what the airplane is doing when some users see this problem.  For example, the airplane banks left but heading remains static or turns right- which it obviously shouldn't do.  Since heading information seems to come unsynched in this scenario, we are looking for causes of data being overwritten in the simconnect data stream....

If you can post your results and information here- that would be helpful...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Thanks Rob for the quick reply before I execute deltree FSX  :P Answers from me below:

Francis-

Ignore the advice to reinstall.  Paul and I were just discussing that and we gave you incorrect guidance.  (Sorry!)

Gents-

Right now we are at a loss to explain why some users are seeing this- so we are still in data collection mode.

Initially when we investigated, we found that it was happening to some users who were programming unrealistically long legs- and thought that was the cause.  We were wrong...

Right now we are looking for some feedback on this topic- and we want to know the following things: (Please don't guess- go check in the sim!)

1) Do you see the airplane begin to wander in 8x+ time compression if you use PMDG's Auto-Time-Compression feature?

Try it once and yes when it goes up to 8X starting to wobble and auto will quickly reduce to 4x for me.

2) Do you see the airplane begin to wander in 8x+ time compression if you manually set the time compression using the FSX menu or key commands?

I always use R+ and not via the menu.

Yes, as reported to Paul, have tried not loading it (rename to FSUIPC.OFF) before starting FSX same result.

Was the latest version but found out WX radar not showing, revert back to 4.92 and WX radar works.

Yes have tried that made no difference.

Yes and no,  this morning edited the dll.xml so only PMDGoption is loaded so a clean FSX with no weather no addons other than T7 same result.

Yes, same D drive but of coz different root directory.

6) When the airplane begins to wander, watch the HEADING ROSE on the NAV DISPLAY very carefully.  Is it rotating in the proper direction and remaining in sync with the airplane heading?  If not- we need to know.

No, when the plane bank left, rose indicate opposite turn after a small lag, so the AP was trying to chase the heading and bank from left then right in bigger and bigger magnitude. However, once changing back to 1x (R- keystrokes) it appears to me the rose will come back to sync within 1-2 sec. I can post a video if u like and as previously said, it happens in both LNAV mode and HDG SEL mode.

Some background for you:  We are collecting information into a simulated data management system directly from FSX.  We collect that data via simconnect.  We are seeing a pattern in which the heading information being displayed does not seem to be in sync with what the airplane is doing when some users see this problem.  For example, the airplane banks left but heading remains static or turns right- which it obviously shouldn't do.  Since heading information seems to come unsynched in this scenario, we are looking for causes of data being overwritten in the simconnect data stream....

I really appreciate your effort into nailing this bugger, thanks Rob and your PMDG team.

Francis

No the time compression will go back to 1x before making the correction, then gentle turn is made

Definitely

Yes, free version

No

No

No

At first it briefly follows, then goes opposite direction. After a while it will go the correct direction and shortly after the airplane will start the turn back the other way (mind you FSX indicates properly when looking at mag hdg with Shift-Z).

Max discrepancy between indicated track and actual heading around 100 degrees.

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

My problem is that the plane can't hold 8x for more than around 15-30 seconds, after which it will go back to 1x, make a course correction, and go back to 8x.  It ends up being slower than putting it in 4x, which it holds very steadily.  It's nowhere as bad as most guys here, and there's no hard banking - it's just annoying.

As for your questions:

Yes

Yes

Yes

4.927a (unregistered)

Yes

Yes

No

Yes, perfectly in sync.

sig01.png

Francis-

Gents-

In auto-time compression, as soon as the plane begins to wander at 8x the simrate will change back down to 4x

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

No, they rotate in opposite directions

Thanks again for the help Rob, I'm sure this will get sorted out.

Paul

Yes, as long as the plane doesn't go above x4 its fine.

Yes

Yes

No

Yes

No

No, the ND thinks its maintaining the correct heading. 

Thanks 

Alex

Hello Robert, 

Yes

Yes 

Yes (full version)

FSUIPC4 4.934  (I've just checked and there is a 4.934a which I'll install later on)

Yes (both fsuipc.ini files )

Yes 

Yes Version 2.2

At first yes, but then it moves in the opposite direction - as in the youtube video 

I used a flight OMDB-LTBA as my first test flight and the issue occurred on that flight  (also I removed both the FSX SDK and Simconnect from the PC and still same issue.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Hope this helps, Rob

Yes

Yes - using key commands. Have not tried menu

No

Yes - problem still exists

No

Heading rose is not in sync and may move in opposite direction. For example, aircraft banks left but heading remains still and sometimes turns right.

ps: for what it's worth, i am using FSX Deluxe Edition and installed FSX SP1 and 2 as separate updates. i do not have the FSX Acceleration Expansion pack installed.

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

Yes

Yes 

Yes

Yes

Yes 

No.

Yes, but then it moves in the opposite direction. 

HI Rob,

I am having this problem as well. When I run in time compression the ND starts to display the nonsense data like when I am turning right the ND data shows that we are going left. So far I have had only one successful flight using SP1 with the rest ending when the ND starts doing haywire. This was no problem before SP1. What is in SP1 that is creating this instability? The FMC was also starting to display rubbish data like the countdown in distance to destination instead of counting down but it is increasing when we are actually heading towards it.

Regards,

Ronald

FSUIPC 4.934a does not help in this case so far

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

it actually seems as if we are seeing two different problems in this thread. one is that if you manually set time compression to 8x the airplanes acts up, and the other is that on AUTO time compresssion the airplane won't hold 8x or more for longer than around 10 seconds. however, when it does that, it makes a course correction without problems. it just really slows down the flight because it goes back to 1x rate for about 15 seconds at a time. that is at least what i see.

is it safe to assume that who is seeing one of those problems is also seeing the other? i am only using AUTO cruise so i haven't tried the manual version. will try when i get a chance. has anyone tried both variants and seen the above symptoms?

Yes it is safe to assume that. It's because the plane cannot stay on course at 8x+, for reasons yet discovered, that auto time compression lowers the simrate to get the plane back on course. It is essentially the same issue, which is the plane cannot stay on course simulating at 8x+.

Paul