Sign in to follow this  
moekarout

Weather Radar and DataUplink

Hello PMDG, great job guys this is the most ammazing product ever, 
when is the 747 v2 be released? just kidding! moving to my topic 

I just have a question regarding weather radar, do i need to re install ASN or something for it to work? or just having ASN on while flying is enough? 

regarding datauplink, where does the aircraft take the information from? when i requested the data, it gave me a weird payload with random cruising altitude, is it the file i create with PFPX? because pfpx didnt give me that load, it might be the datauplink creates random payload, i got no problem with it just making sure. 

Moe ELkarout

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

or just having ASN on while flying is enough?

Yes.

regarding datauplink, where does the aircraft take the information from? when i requested the data, it gave me a weird payload with random cruising altitude, is it the file i create with PFPX? because pfpx didnt give me that load, it might be the datauplink creates random payload, i got no problem with it just making sure. 

Perf data comes from its own internal calculations.  The cruising altitude is not random.  There is no interaction between PMDG aircraft and any other program for the datalink.  It looks at the WX folder, and the FLIGHTPLANS folder.  That's it.

Kyle Rodgers

Yes.

Perf data comes from its own internal calculations.  The cruising altitude is not random.  There is no interaction between PMDG aircraft and any other program for the datalink.  It looks at the WX folder, and the FLIGHTPLANS folder.  That's it.

aha, thats neat! but if i change any of those variances like lets say i manualy change the cruising altitude, would it recalculate ? 

Moe ELkarout

I have a question.  I set ASN to auto load the FP.  I set the PMDG to auto load as well.  Now every time it goes and updates the alternate airports my weather changes.  Clouds will change at least 3 or 4 times on approach alone.  I've disabled this auto flight plan thing so I don't get changes in weather.  Is this a bad thing to do?  The plane seems to be working just fine without it.  I wonder what I'm missing?  I'm sorry but changing weather every few minutes is very annoying.  

Before I even request the route I copy the ZFW and Fuel calculated on PFPX directly to the FS Actions menu (Payload/Fuel) pages. If you do this, the Altitudes will coincide with PFPX even the Step Climb phases. 

I have a question.  I set ASN to auto load the FP.  I set the PMDG to auto load as well.  Now every time it goes and updates the alternate airports my weather changes.  Clouds will change at least 3 or 4 times on approach alone.  I've disabled this auto flight plan thing so I don't get changes in weather.  Is this a bad thing to do?  The plane seems to be working just fine without it.  I wonder what I'm missing?  I'm sorry but changing weather every few minutes is very annoying.  

The 777 cannot change the weather. Obviously the weather changes come from ASN.

I really don't know if this ASN behavior could be triggered by loading an updated the FP into ASN. Like maybe ASN adjusts the weather settings to fit the FP route?

You mentioned this happens whenever the alternate airports are updated. Do you have the automatic alternate list update turned on? If so try turning it off and see if this still happens.

Please, tell me what are the datalink options you have selected in the PMDG simulation options menu and the PMDG aircraft options menu and I will try to reproduce this.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Technically.

Does the. WXfile i created in PFPX gets updated via ASN as i also created a pln and rte file for ASN and the T7?

Thanks Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Technically.

Does the. WXfile i created in PFPX gets updated via ASN as i also created a pln and rte file for ASN and the T7?

Thanks Michael

If you have set the PMDG option to automatically create an FSX flight plan and load it into FX and also set the ASN option to automatically load FSX flight plans, then whenever you go to a CDU page that contains a weather related REQUEST prompt an updated FSX flight plan will be automatically created and loaded both into FSX and ASN.

This will result in ASN creating an updated WX file. However, the update of the FSX flight plan and WX file will only happen if the flight plan has been changed since the last time it was created.

Michael Frantzeskakis

devteam.jpg

The 777 cannot change the weather. Obviously the weather changes come from ASN.

I really don't know if this ASN behavior could be triggered by loading an updated the FP into ASN. Like maybe ASN adjusts the weather settings to fit the FP route?

You mentioned this happens whenever the alternate airports are updated. Do you have the automatic alternate list update turned on? If so try turning it off and see if this still happens.

Please, tell me what are the datalink options you have selected in the PMDG simulation options menu and the PMDG aircraft options menu and I will try to reproduce this.

Well yes I know the 777 is not making the weather change so often however it does have something to do with something in it...or something :huh:   I hope you can help me figure it out.  

OK

Settings causing the shifting weather every few minutes:

ASN: General > Auto load sim flight plan is CHECKED

PMDG 777-300:  

PMDG SETUP > OPTIONS > SIMULATION > page 7/7 > ACP CONTROLLING FSX: Captain Only - FSX COMMS DISABLED: When Failed/Misconfig - FSX PLN FILE FOR WX: Create And Load To FSX - Include ALTNS In PLN: Yes

FMC DATALINK options: AUTO PREFLIGHT: YES - Auto ALTN List Uplink: No - Auto Des FRCAST Uplink: Yes - Auto POS RPT downlink: Yes

I seemed to "fix" it by changing Include ALTNS In PLN from YES to NO, and by un-checking ASN's auto load flight plan feature.  But am I missing out on part of the sim by doing this?  Like I said it still seems to work, but I'm not sure if I'm getting uplinked correct WX data.  

Thanks for your time.  

I think you're on to something.  I use FSINN and have noticed whenever the 777 makes a new FP and sends it off during the flight, my flight plan window in FSINN also gets updated with the new alternates and other waypoints, so I'm assuming ASN is seeing this as a brand new flight plan and re-jigging the weather for the "new" route.   I hope there is a workaround you come up with.  It may be what I've already done though which is NOT auto updating the alternates, and not letting ASN load the FSX flightplan.  

i dunno how true is that, but i have flewn with many areas with clouds and the wxr doesnt show anything unless am in a very bad weather area, then it shows, is this normal?

Moe ELkarout

The WX radar doesn't show clouds. It shows rain and snow.

However, it has a filter, which prevents very light rain to be shown. You can change the filter by turning up the gain controll and therefore make it more sensetive.

i dunno how true is that, but i have flewn with many areas with clouds and the wxr doesnt show anything unless am in a very bad weather area, then it shows, is this normal?

I'm not sure who you're replying to in the thread but everything Kyle said about your question is true.  Same with Michael's response regarding the updating of the WX file in FSX and ASN.  This is actually changing my weather in the sim every time it loads a new flight plan.  Can you confirm any of this too?  Regarding the WX radar, I sometimes load it up with a sky full of clouds and ask myself for a split second "where are the retruns?" then I slap myself and remember "if it ain't raining...it ain't painting".  WX radar will only show returns if it is raining or snowing.    

Guys,

This weather stuff is pretty stupidly simple, so I'm really not sure why people are adding so much complexity to all of it.

Load ASN.  Do not use the auto-load feature in ASN (as mentioned in the other thread...why? This thread's results...).  Load the FP (this step can wait until after the sim is loaded if you don't have the plan yet and are depending on the 777 to deliver one).

Load FSX.

Done.

Everyone is adding so many crazy layers of complexity into all of this, and putting it off like there's a "right" or "wrong" way, and there isn't.  Do what you need to do.

For reference, here's what I do:

Load ASN - leave it the [heck] alone.

On my parallel computer, load PFPX and have it dump out a WX file and PLN (if I'm feeling too lazy to hand-enter my route)

Load FSX.

If I want updated wind, I tell PFPX to drop out a new wind file.  All of this can be as complicated or simple as you want it to be.

would it recalculate ?

Depends on what you mean by "recalculate."  If you mean, will the FMC properly readjust to your new entry?  Yes.  It's just the same as if you'd hand-entered the wrong FL, and then corrected it by overwriting it.

Kyle Rodgers

The changes in clouds happen each time ASN loads a flight plan. This is an ASN issue not a 777 issue.

Normally the clouds you see out of your window shouldn't depend on the flight plan in ASN. Actually even if the flight plan doesn't change and you reload the exact same flight plan file in ASN clouds will change.

I can't tell why this happens, probably ASN has a reason for doing this but we can do nothing about it. You can see it regardless of the 777 data uplink settings. If you go to the ASN flight plan tab and just load a flight plan you will see that the cloud positions change.

You are seing this when the alternate airports list is updated, when one or more of the 4 alternates, or their order changes and this triggers the creation/loading of an updated flight plan for ASN. You can avoid this by turning off the 777 option to automatically update the alternates list. Or, obviously, by turning off the automatic loading of the flight plan to FSX. You can always manually load an updated flight plan into ASN whenever required. 

Michael Frantzeskakis

devteam.jpg

This is an ASN issue not a 777 issue. I can't tell why this happens, probably ASN has a reason for doing this but we can do nothing about it.

This is exactly what I was thinking, but thanks for the clarification.  So I'm not missing out on anything if I just turn off auto alternates?  I assume If I really really wanted updated weather for an alternate I could just turn it back on for that portion of the journey?  

Thanks for your time and quick response.  Loving the new plane and FBW feel.