Sign in to follow this  
Aamir

I've just had an interesting idea to fix the taxi-friction issue!

Chaps,

I'd like to precede this by stating that I am not a coder, or programmer. I am, however, extremely adept at thinking of ideas while in the shower, or on my royal throne, and as such, I've just thought of a way we could make ground ops a little more realistic.

We know that an aircraft at idle thrust will perform a slow roll, however, this appears to not occur in FSX, due to whatever reason. I understand this, and know it's an engine limitation. My train of thought is as follows: If we can't directly make the engine do something, why not trick it into thinking that a certain action is occurring? Allow me to clarify.

The general idea is to "tell" FSX that the aircraft is exerting the required thrust for a slow roll.. Sort of like forward creep in an automatic car.

Think about it, perhaps PMDG could code a way for the T7 or NGX to automatically apply just enough thrust to start a slow roll, while at the same time, leaving the N1 engine indications (and others) at idle? This, of course, would only apply if the brakes were off, and the engines were at idle. Very similar to an automatic vehicle. The requisite sounds could also be tampered with so that the aircraft still sounds like it's idling, in this "creep" mode. It would be sort of an extremely low level auto-throttle maxed out at 1 or 2 knots.. This effect can then be cancelled out when the user manipulates the aircraft's throttles.

So, essentially, according to the FSX engine, the aircraft is applying thrust, but to the user, there is no visible indication that the aircraft is doing anything but idling.

I'm very unsure as to the possibilities with this idea, but hey, I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw it out there..

Let me know what y'all think!

Aamir Thacker

You can add "patchsim1friction=Yes"  (without inverted commas)  in your fsuipc.ini  file, under the "General" section. It's working for me.

Johann van Rhyn

Don't do that, use the DynamicFriction.lua method instead, there is a HUGE thread discussing this on the forum. Using the patch method is old and outdated, the dynamic method is far better as it stops the friction changes from effecting landing and takeoff roll distances.

Cheers, Andy.

The fsuipc for (both auto entries) fixes this issue perfectly

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

The fsuipc for (both auto entries) fixes this issue perfectly

Would you tell me how? Or point me in the direction to find out how to accomplish this with FSUIPC?

Thank you in advance.

I have been using FPS frictionality. The thing I like the most about it, is it accounts for weight of aircraft. I use it injunction with Simphysics X

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Looks interesting. What software do i need to buy and is there some default setups for the T7 and the NGX?

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Don't do that, use the DynamicFriction.lua method instead, there is a HUGE thread discussing this on the forum. Using the patch method is old and outdated, the dynamic method is far better as it stops the friction changes from effecting landing and takeoff roll distances.

The patch method is still far better than nothing at all and if you don't own a licenced copy of FSUIPC you can't use the lua method. The patch method is not outdated, it's supported by FSUIPC. It solves most of the problems, but it's just not as detailed or adjustable. I use the basic patch method and I don't find differences in ground roll distances are noticeable in normal use.

The OP's idea of messing with thrust to exceed FSX's high rolling friction has been tried by some developers in the past but it doesn't really work well. Far better to attempt to correct the friction issue itself.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Like other posters above I'm also using the friction fix through FSUIPC. It makes taxiing very realistic and you can really feel the inertia.

I just recently found out about this fix. I'm using the lua script and this has raised my level of enjoyment in fsx. No more half throttle to taxi and it works perfect with 777 and especially the a2a Cessna