Sign in to follow this  
Samkman

77W ETOPS QUESTION

I have a question. I am planning a cross the pond in my new gorgeous CPA 777-300ER, but in Simbrief I am unsure of the current ETOPS rating for the 77W. I was reading last night about a 330 min ETOPS rating for the 777 GE engines but in SIMBRIEF it says 180 minutes. I just want to make sure I am planning this flight as realistically as I can because that is what I always strive to do in FSX. Any help/input is welcome from anyone. Thanks.

Jimmy

The ETOPS Rating for the 773ER is different between operators due to slight differences in local regulation.

For example Air New Zealand 773ER is granted 330min ETOPS rating while some of the carriers I know of is granted up 207min only. So it really depends on the local aviation authority rather than what the airplane can do most of the time, and also what the Airline needs for its operation. For most airlines based in the Northern Hemisphere, the 207min usually be enough to cover most of the polar and trans pacific options, hence the extra cost involved to certify the airplane for 330min ETOPS can not be justified.

Typical rules distance are as follows

60min. 453nm

120min. 880nm

180min. 1313nm

207min. 1506nm

Hope it helps.

Hi,

330 would be the max ETOPS rating that one can use with the B777. There is nothing stopping you from using a lesser ETOPS rating, such as ETOPS 120 or 180.

In the real world, there is no need to use anything higher than ETOPS 180 when crossing the pond due to the multitude of ETOPS suitable alternate airports available to you (normally you can get away with ETOPS 120 as well depending on the day and the route). Higher ETOPS rules are normally more useful on Pacific and Polar routes, but even then it's quite rare that one requires them I believe.

Based on the flight plans I've seen (real world), ETOPS 180 is the most commonly used rule when crossing the Atlantic in the 777.

Hope that helps,

Just because the plane may have the capability to use up to X ETOPS rating does not mean that the airline maintains it to that standard.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi, today I was planning a flight from KLAX to PHNL. PFPX was not able provide a valid solution for ETOPS as There is no land between Los Angeles and Honolulu. I was wondering how real life airlines were finding a soul to to this, anyone has an idea?

Cheers,

Murat

Murat Ozgul

Hi, today I was planning a flight from KLAX to PHNL. PFPX was not able provide a valid solution for ETOPS as There is no land between Los Angeles and Honolulu. I was wondering how real life airlines were finding a soul to to this, anyone has an idea?

Cheers,

Murat

PHTO and KMRY are frequently used. 

Murat,

In PFPX, copy the ETOPS 120 configuration and edit it to ETOPS 180. Once you do that, it'll be able to find a solution for KLAX to PHNL.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

I have also one question but I'm not sure where to ask it.

One of you beta testers posted  a picture some time ago with a north pole flight and on the ND we could see airports (i think it was the destination airport and some alternates) with a little arrow and the nm to the airports. How do i get this in my ND? 

Philipp Schwaegerl

How do i get this in my ND? 

This only shows up when you're at the max range on your ND.

Kyle Rodgers

Thank you Kyle. 

With the ETOPS fixes in the CDU and PLAN oder is MAP ok?

Philipp Schwaegerl

With the ETOPS fixes in the CDU and PLAN oder is MAP ok?

Ich glaube daß beide sind "ok," ja...

(To those who don't speak - or attempt, in my case - German: I think both PLAN and MAP modes will display this.  Might be a question for Luke...)

Kyle Rodgers

Ok, it must be obvious for you guys. Yes, I'm from germany. :P I will try this next time i fly with the 777. 

Und danke, das hilft mir sehr weiter. ;)

Philipp Schwaegerl

Ok, it must be obvious for you guys. Yes, I'm from germany. :P I will try this next time i fly with the 777. 

Und danke, das hilft mir sehr weiter. ;)

haha - you used "oder" in your earlier post, which gave it away  :P

Schwaegerl is another possible giveaway.

Kyle Rodgers

Just because the plane may have the capability to use up to X ETOPS rating does not mean that the airline maintains it to that standard.

Could we, pretty please, have an SYSK for the "fix" page and drawing those pretty green fix circles? :P

e.g What they're used for IRL, in what cases using them would be appropriate, etc.
Of course, not including ETOPs and airport approach speed restrictions..

Aamir Thacker