Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Bought FS2k4, but...

Guest TimQ

My frame rates are great, but about once a second, it jerks. Its quite annoying. I have a 9800 Pro, Athlon 64 3000+, 1Gb Pc3200.I cant seem to make it go awayOk I figured it out, it was that I had to lock my FPS around 30, instead of unlimited.Wow this 2004 is so much better than 02!

>My frame rates are great, but about once a second, it jerks. >Its quite annoying. I have a 9800 Pro, Athlon 64 3000+, 1Gb>Pc3200.>>I cant seem to make it go away>>Ok I figured it out, it was that I had to lock my FPS around>30, instead of unlimited.>>Wow this 2004 is so much better than 02!Are you running any SPY software by anychance? I use SpySweeper, but turn it off for FS2004. Otherwise, I get the one second stutters.edit---- I run unlimited fpsL.Adamson

Guest TimQ

Still getting it sometimes. The more I limit the FPS, the smoother it runs

You have to isolate what is causing the problem. Does it happen even in clear skies (no clouds) or only when there are many clouds?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Guest panda234

You've just joined a pretty big club...billg

Guest MattNW

Try it like Murmur said with clear skies. Clouds are real resource killers. Also you should limit frame rates down to about 30. The human eye can't detect much more than that so setting this down some will free up other resources for the sim to use which will lead to smoother overall performance. Also make sure you keep your drive defragged and all programs you don't need shut down. You may want to try FSAutostart. It's a utility that shuts down programs and services before starting the sim. When you close the sim Autostart will restart everything and restore your system back to normal.You can find it here: http://www.fs-gs.com/

Guest baksteen33

Hi Matt, FSAutostart can also be downloaded right here from Avsim and is created by one of 'our' Avsim masters, Ken Salter. What's a bit confusing though, fs-gs.com lists a v.1.8 build 5 and Ken's homepage lists v.1.1 build 11. Hmmm.... Here's Ken Salter's official homepage: http://www.kensalter.com/fsautostart/index.htmHere's the location which leads to the latest version: http://www.kensalter.com/forum/Good luck and kind regards Jaap

I'm not sure exactly what the cause is, but I get this under certain situations and it is definitely related to a certain cloud refresh when using ActiveSky. I don't recall if it happened with default FS Weather as it's been a very long time since I used the default weather. What I have noticed, is that if I close FS down, and start completely over with a reboot, the problem is no more, even in the exact same place with ActiveSky weather. Seems to me it comes from maybe having multiple sources for the weather, ie, not clearing out the old weather before "refreshing" again in your weather program (ie, sending an "update weather request" (my words!).Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I have a similar set-up to you.Clouds as has been said is one of the reasons for poor FPS but, you should be able to run without stutters.A post I read on this subject highlights the need to assign a key for 'Refresh Scenery' which is a big help if you are flying a distance.Another and more hungry setting is 'Traffic'. You could try running with it set to '0'. That should solve it?Look up the many threads on 'FPS' and try each until you find the optimum for your needs.I run with my frames at locked at '30FPS' and it normally averages out at around '25'.Dave.'Three greens and soft landings'

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest cwright

I had the same problem - in fact the jerk occurred every second precisely! Sometimes it didn't occur, other times it was very obvious and annoying. I got the impression it was worse with clouds. Almost certainly a process was generating an interrupt every second. In fact the LED on the front panel card reader blinked every second precisely in sync with the jerk on-screen. The HD light also blinked in sync. I noticed the Orbiter space flight simulator had the same problem, as did the Far Cry editor (but not when running the game itself). This indicates the problem is not specific to FS. I found one solution. I removed FS9.cfg and ran FS. I immediately exited and replaced the original fs9.cfg. It then ran perfectly smoothly. But after two or three FS sessions the jerk returned, so I needed to repeat the procedure. I've now found a much easier solution. If the once-per-second jerk starts when running FS, all I have to do is change the FS display resolution and then change it back to normal. This makes the sim completely smooth, but I will have to do it every few sessions. No problem, as it only takes about a minute to change the resolution twice. This second solution explains why the first solution worked. If there is no fs9.cfg, FS defaults to a low resolution 800*600. The change in resolution explains why that procedure worked, and it was probably nothing to do with fs9.cfg itself. This clearly suggests the problem is connected with the video card, but I've no idea how to find a permanent cure. Mine's an ATI 9200. Best regards, Chris

Guest danowat

Could it be either a printer, on some USB device "polling" on a regular basis?, I have a USB wireless network device that will cause the same problem if its plugged in when running FS.Failing that, open the taskmanager, CRTL-ALT-DEL, click the cpu column so that the most usage is at the top, then watch for any process that "jumps" up the list on a regular basis, if there is one then thats your problem.Dan.