Sign in to follow this  
moekarout

weather radar is frustrating

Hello every one 

my wxr has been frustrating to me, it only work with storms and thats all, i have flewn in many airports where storms are not present but clouds were, the radar screen is emty, just heavy storms show in otherwise nothing 

the funny part is that i once started my fsx without ASN and the radar gave me some response

i have tried the FSUIPC trick, it worked for storms thats it. any idea?

Moe ELkarout

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

The weather Radar will only give returns if there is precipitation within in the clouds. You are seeing the correct behaviour of the weather Radar. Normal clouds will not show

the radar screen is emty, just heavy storms show in otherwise nothing

Correct behaviour. "Weather Radar" is actually incorrect, it should be termed "rain radar." No rain = nothing for radar to bounce off. Clouds do not always mean rain, just water vapour.

That's all correct. Weather radar is not a cloud map. It'll only pick up rain. If you want to see more returns try adjusting the gain.

If you want to know why or what the radar is picking up when ASN is not running, have a read of the intro manual SP1 supplement.

Can someone point me in the direction of the weather radar operational procedures ?

I see p151 in the supplement however it only explains what the weather radar is but I didn't see instructions on how to use it.

ZORAN

I see p151 in the supplement however it only explains what the weather radar is but I didn't see instructions on how to use it.

"PMDG-777-FCOMv2.pdf:

Chapter 10.40.2 (p. 736) ND information

Chapter 11.10.21 (p. 857) "Collins" WXR panel

Chapter 15.10.20 (p. 1220) and 15.20.24 (p. 1248) "PWS" Predictive Wind Shear System

And in the PMDG-777-Introduction.pdf you can find on p. 152:

(quote)

The physical locations of the radar controls are described in detail in the FCOM2 on pages 11.10.21 to 11.10.22. (pages 857 to 858 in the PDF file)

(end quote)

I hope this helps. I find the PWS explanations very interesting...

BTW: for me the weather radar is everything else but "frustrating". O.K. I am one of the "lucky guys" who had direct success with it; but man: I waited literally decades for it and now it's there:  for me it is a dream come true. :rolleyes:

Thanks Claus, Im usually okay with finding stuff in the manuals but I struggled with this one. Now to go see what its all about..

ZORAN

it only work with storms and thats all, i have flewn in many airports where storms are not present but clouds were, the radar screen is emty, just heavy storms show in otherwise nothing 

This is the correct behavior.

This is one of the larger simisms out there (third, only behind the simism where simmers assume they know how everything should work, and blindly follow the 250/10 thing).  Weather radar finds weather - more specifically precipitation.  It is NOT a cloud finder...

Further info:

Kyle Rodgers