Sign in to follow this  
Guest mgerner

FSMeteo 7.0 released

Guest UweR

Hmmm, the upgrade to the SF.260 won

Thanks for piping in Uwe,I just made a flight into the Los Angeles basin and the handling of the haze there is much improved. It never ceases to amaze me how it is expected that once a program is purchased that all upgrades should be provided for free. How many of you get paid for a job the first time it's done but provide unlimited free support thereafter? The prices charged up front as well as paid for updates in the FS world are a mere pittance compared to real life program support let alone real world flying. My total investment into simming (and I've got quite a bit of stuff) wouldn't pay for much more than few hours worth of real flying. I consider it a real value and appreciate the effort that good developers put into their products. If one of those good developers asks for a fee for their upgrade I see it as incentive for them to keep on developing a better product.Just my two cents worth,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Zane,<>It does happen. I bought FS Flight Keeper v2.0 and shortly after the author released v2.5 which included a lot of extra functionality. He did not charge for this upgrade.Project Magenta software which is admittedly expensive provides free updates for the forseeable future.I looked at the cost of buying FS Meteo for a first-time buyer and it is 29 Euros. The upgrade costs 18 Euros. For the differences that v7 provides I consider 18 Euros to be way over the top. Sorry, but that's just the way I feel about it. You and Uwe appear to be in a minority with your decision to buy this upgrade and clearly others feel the same as me about Marc's pricing policy.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest anthonye

>Hmmm, the upgrade to the SF.260 won

Guest anthonye

>>It does happen. I bought FS Flight Keeper v2.0 and shortly>after the author released v2.5 which included a lot of extra>functionality. He did not charge for this upgrade.>>You and Uwe appear to be in a minority with your decision to>buy this upgrade and clearly others feel the same as me about>Marc's pricing policy.>>Cheers,Well said RayAnthonyUK

Zane,If you're a loyal customer, that's fine. However, the idea that updates must cost money to justify the labor is not always the case.Take the competing weather product ActiveSky 2004. Users were required to purchase this if they already owned ActiveSky Wx because it was a totally new product for FS2004. Once that purchase was made, every update since (and there have been plenty) were issued for free.I think this is why many users are posting that it's not worth it to pay for an incremental upgrade.Marc has the right to charge what the market can bear, but with the competition Marc has, he may want to rethink his pricing strategy or risk losing customers.Bruce

Zane said zanily:"It never ceases to amaze me how it is expected that once a program is purchased that all upgrades should be provided for free." I agree. Not all upgrades need to be, nor necessarily, should be free. But many of us have already done a paid upgraded to FSMeteo in the last 6-18 months and simply aren't going to do it again. I don't think anyone is asking for unlimited support but the this "new" version does not, IMNHSO, warrant paying another "upgrade" fee.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest UweR

Hi,on the simmarket page I read:"This upgrade is required only for customers that purchased a FSMETEO license previous to 31-October-2003."So if you upgraded to version 6 in the last 6-18 months the upgrade to 7.0 should be free, or at least reduced in price?

You're quite right Uwe. Sometimes I don't count so well. But since I bought mine on 2 Sept. 2003 even my poor math skills won't change my mind :-).Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I'll most likely buy FSMeteo 7.0 if for nothing else than to show my support for Marc. We can't have just one game in town (Activesky) for something like this. I'm like everyone else, very happy with AS2004.5 but what should we do in this situation??? Competition is what pushes development of bigger and better products. I look at it as donating $20 for the effort put in to give us this alternative. I don't think Marc normally would have charged for a basic update if he didn't need the money or something. He's released many updates in the past and hasn

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Competition is good. However there is something that I don't understand. Last time I asked IVAO for metar server access They want me to assure that my programs were freeware. How com in the FSMeteo page it states IVAO surface data?Jos

Guest Agamemnon

Dillon"Where's the community spirit among us???"Cool,buy it for me.:)Troy

I too own every release of FSMeteo up to now. And I too am using ActiveSky (all versions) since it came out.I would like to see a clear comparison between features/changes in FSMeteo v7.0 against v6.4. If improvements are noticable, I might consider buying it. Even if it were to just compare it with AS2004.5. For now, I keep my $18,- and stick to AS2004.5.