Sign in to follow this  
Guest mgerner

FSMeteo 7.0 released

Marc has done it again :). With the latest FSMeteo release wind changes are smoother and overcast is handled better. I just took my first flight after updating and have to say the difference is impressive and worthy of moving the version number from 6 to 7. What is also neat is if you are getting the high resolution winds aloft they include winds over the Pacific and Atlantic ocean. Registered FSMeteo users should be getting an email with the update.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Zane,I'm still waiting for Marc to contact me. Is v7 a free upgrade? If not how much is he asking?When you say wind changes are smoother do you mean he's addressed the bug in FS9 where the wind would change rapidly from one direction to another? If so, then Pete Dowson overcame that problem in FSUIPC (registered version).Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,The upgrade is free to anyone who purchased their original copy after Oct 31, 2003, otherwise you need to purchase at the upgrade price. Marc will email you with the email you originally registered with. FSMeteo has utilized Pete's fix within FSUIPC in the earlier versions as well as this one for the bug. I just found weather transitions in general to be smoother with version 7. Excited to do some more flying and see how well the overcast is now working.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest LLgaz

Hi,Do you still get the stuttering when FSMeteo is updating the weather in FS9?Thanks.

Pete Dowson overcame that problem in FSUIPC not quite, it was simply an attempt to minimize the radical shifting, it still occurs it is just done more slowly. At altitude you will still see 180 degree changes, but over about 10-15 seconds vs 2-3 seconds. Still, this does help quite a bit and I take my hat off to Pete.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

>Do you still get the stuttering when FSMeteo is updating the>weather in FS9?Unfortunately yes, but it is lessened in this update (it seems to take a little longer so I think the rate is changed to lessen the CPU load). Before I definitely knew when FSMeteo was updating the weather, now I'll notice a stutter and check, sometimes its from the weather updating but other times not.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Hi Zane,I've now received my invitation from Marc to upgrade to v7 for 18USD. I questioned whether there were enough improvements over v6.4 to justify upgrading. I've spent more on FSMeteo and upgrades than any other program except FS itself. It seesm that whilst he will provide a free upgrade to relatively new users (within last 12 months) he won't for those long-standing customers. I think it would be no bad thing that if you have paid for at least 2 upgrades you got one free.I'm not a cheap-skate but I wonder whether there are enough improvements to justify upgrading to v7. Even the interface has not changed. Sometimes you should do that just to keep the product up-to-date visually.I also suggested he consider providing a forum where members could discuss the product. His is the only commercial product I own that does not have a support forum.One question ... the lack of a proper overcast has frustrated me for some time now. Does v7 provide one and if so could you please provide a screenshot. The ones on Marc's site didn't convince me.Thanks,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest rino

I also have received an invitation to purchase the new upgrade, but I don't think I will do this.First of all, I am now pretty satisfied with active sky.Second, I have purchased FSmeteo 5, and then FSMeteo 6, which never worked well.Now, I don't want to purchase another upgrade - so blindly againThe total price for just one program will be too much - for me

Hi Ray,I understand where you are coming from on paying for a third upgrade, on the other hand Marc puts a lot of work into the programming and $18 is still less than I pay for annual weather overlays for real flight planning. I had also suggested to Marc that he should try to have a forum, the problem is this is not Marc's primary job and he doensn't have the time to man a forum as well.The overcast by definition was good in earlier versions, the problem was when you would climb through haze and/or cloud layers and get above them you suddenly found yourself flying in clear weather... didn't make sense. It is the "undercast" or I should say flying above haze or a cloud layer that wasn't being handled correctly. Part of this is a fault in Microsoft's weather engine. Active Sky has gone to great lengths to make it look right and so far what I have seen flying in FSMeteo 7.0 is also improved. I have included screenshots to prove it.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109680.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109681.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109682.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109683.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109684.jpgHope these give a better picture for you,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I agree. I've owned FSMeteo since the beginning but the time has come to part company. No more upgrades. I already have too much invested in that progeam as it is. I've moved over to ActiveSky and am a much happier flyer.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest jase439

I think I'll be standing pat with 6.4. The wind smoothness is overcomeable with FSUIPC. I can't see enough difference in features to justify another 20 bucks.

Hi Zane,Thank you very much for providing those pictures. I do agree that the disappearing cloud when viewed from above is very annoying but as that appears to be the only improvement from v6.4 that interests me I don't feel inclined to upgrade.Also, I think a new version of FS will arrive within 12 months and that will no doubt require yet another version of FSMeteo for which a further charge will possibly be made. The default FS9 weather isn't that bad and I think we'll see a big improvement in the next version of FS which may negate the need for a independent weather program.Marc could always request a presence on AvSim's forums. Daily attendance would probably not be necessary as fellow users could assist. Alternatively SimFlight has a number of support forums where Marc could reside. I suspect that because English is not his first language he isn't inclined to go down that route.Enjoy v7 with that nice aircraft!Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Likewise. Sorry, Marc.The market is big enough for Marc, in my view, that once the program is paid for once, that should be it. For example, I've been using Tony D'Ambrosio's gauges since Day One and his updates remain free to those who have registered once. There are many new simmers coming into the game that would likely go for FSMeteo if older hands such as us continue to recommend it. If he made revolutionary changes, well that might be different, but minor upgrades can't really justify such a cost in my view.All will have different views, but that's mine. Probably, because I've had my FSMeteo more than a year and don't get the free upgrade, LOL. So much for loyalty, boo hoo.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Like others, FSMeteo's upgrade costs put me off. I am using ActiveSky now and I'm very happy with it.Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Same here. I have had FSMeteo from the beginning (whenever that was) but converted to ActiveSky about a year ago. With ActiveSky setting a very brisk pace Marc may have his work cut out to stay in the weather program race.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."