Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Light aircraft flying versus the heavys

Bob, great post. I have been simming/designing for about 3.4 years, started with WWII type aircraft. I have tried every type of aircraft and flights for FS, helis, gliders, hang gliders, ultralites, vintage, heavies, GA, etc to get me to where I am today and what "I" enjoy. I am also one of those that finds very little enjoyment in staring in front of a full screen 2D panel programming all the functions and then flying at 30+k for hours on end (I do enough of that in my designing), but to each his own. FS is more a world sim to me than just flight. I enjoy every aspect of simulation, from being a passenger to virtual interactions with clients and /or airport personnel, probably why I co-run a VA, which is the beauty of FS, something for everyone.Personally, I find the greatest enjoyment in skimming the treetops in forest areas (Misty Fjords addon) in my Beaver or heli, in real weather looking for a nice cabin to go fishing at. Regards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

So true, Bob. I bet many people that fly commercially wouldn't have an idea if they're in an MD80 or a 767! Maybe the only plane that sticks out is a "jumbo" (747).I also have that experience of wonder when I take people up. There's nothing like giving them the controls (for simple straight and level flight), and seeing them feel the aircraft through the yoke- the vibrations, and all the minute movements that the control surfaces are feeding back. I love that feeling.Bruce.

Just wanted to throw in my recent experience. I, like others here, really like sinking my teeth into complex systems. Learning how to manage for instance the RFP 742 with the CIVA INS is certainly a challenge in itself and far from just programming the FMC and let go.Recently I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Hello Bob,What a wonderful posting you've got here! I actually "confess" to flying the commercial jets, including payware like PMDG, PSS and RFP but I do have the Cessna 172 by Flight One and have not flown it too much yet. I have to get into learning more about things like VOR flying although I know this in principle, I don't use it and just use the GPS to navigate manually when I fly the 172. As for the jet's I actually don't use the FMC at all and always approach and land manually so I get the feel of controlling the airplane and feel that I've actually "accomplished" something on my own rather than relying on the computerized gizmos. I work with computers as my job and frankly don't have the patience to learn how to work an FMC; the only exception to this is the PSS Airbuses which I program, but the PMDG 737-NG I fly using constant switching to the FS moving default map and steering waypoint to waypoint using autopilot.I fly manual up to cruise altitude, then switch on autopilot and descent partway with autopilot to, say 4000 feet AGL, then take over on full manual (switch off A/P). I have to admit, your posting about the GA smaller aircraft handling and the enjoyment of scenery with low-altitude flying has made me very curious. After my current "world trip" is over - which won't be for a few months yet for I'm flying to practically every country in the world (but just to the capital or largest airport) - I will definitely look into flying my Cessna 172R more often. I did recently do flights with the 172 during the Africa portion of my world trip - namely from Kinshasa to Brazzaville - Demorcratic Republic of Congo to Congo-two cities right across from a lake from each other and two other cities in Africa and found the little nitwit to be a beautiful little bugger. One wonderful thing with the smaller propeller-driven single engine aircraft - because they are slower than the commercial jets (or any jet, like the Lear Jet 45), you have more time to react and correct mistakes and of course, to enjoy the scenery too. I actually have a lot of admiration for all aircraft, whatever their size and even though I may refer to the Cessna 172 as a "little bugger", it is by no means derogatory, but more of an affectionate term, for I really have grown attached to all airplanes of all sizes and that's just in the mere 1.5 years that I've started simming!Like you and others said, it will be a good exercise for me to really learn precise flying skills by flying the small GA aircraft.Thanks for the posting!John

Hi Tord,Good luck with your pilot's license. Flying gets very addictive! Remember when you solo- you will be a part of a very unique club of poeple that have actually taken command of a real aircraft. There's nothing like it!Bruce.