Sign in to follow this  
vanzunator

Brief workflow tutorial: PMDG 777 SP1 Company Datalink function with PFPX + Active Sky Next (ASN)

Not sure how people are getting this function so messed up...it's rather simple if you actually sit down and pay attention to it.

Think back to your installation...

Did you tell the installer where PFPX was?  What about ASN?  Did you tell it you don't have PFPX and use RoutePlanningToolY?

Nope.

Why?

It would be incredibly labor intensive (and very restrictive) to program one system to behave specifically with a whole bunch of others.  Instead, a developer usually creates some type of folder, or format that it can accept.  An example of this has been the PMDG RTE format.  Any route planning tool out there usually has a way to export in this format.  That way, PMDG doesn't restrict who can and can't provide the files.

Same thing here.  You can get RTE files from the same sources you could get route files a year ago...two years ago...heck, a decade ago.  The only difference is that the route request process has become a little more realistic (and you don't have to remember COROUTE names to enter by hand).

Weather Datalink?  Same thing.

The WX file is still where it gets its information.  Sure, ASN was the first one to implement the feature into their program so that there is no required human interaction, but any program can create a WX file.  Heck, you could make one yourself, too.

PMDG told the 777 to pay attention to two places:

1 - The routes (flightplans) folder.

2 - The weather (WX) folder.

[Perf data comes from the FMC itself...how?...you set it on the FS ACTIONS pages, so why would it need to ask another program what the data is?]

The only dependence between a PMDG aircraft for ANYTHING is the weather radar (ASN - currently), and that - is - it.

Please excuse the fire and brimstone, but I keep seeing this come up, and the answers are usually pretty far from accurate.

Kyle Rodgers

Based on my tests, it seems every time you request weather related data either for the route or DES forecast, you get updated data from ASN. so if ASN is running, your DES forecast won't be 7 hours old, based on the original weather data you got pre-departure.

Thank you. I'll try it today

Can I just turn this option off, generate new wx file via simbrief and load it in aircraft via datalink? Do not want ASN to supply my aircraft with the winds.

Additionally, where is descend forecast wind data contained? Cannot find it in wx file.

Nice explanation....I cannot see the pictures (lllustrated above)....

Thanks Again,

Regis

Regis Biassala 

Additionally, where is descend forecast wind data contained? Cannot find it in wx file.

If you're looking for a separate line or section for the DES FORECAST, you're not going to find it.  It just pulls the wind information from the existing waypoints.

Kyle Rodgers

If you're looking for a separate line or section for the DES FORECAST, you're not going to find it.  It just pulls the wind information from the existing waypoints.

So the 777 FMC can build descend forecast data from wx file provided by simbrief?

So the 777 FMC can build descend forecast data from wx file provided by simbrief?

A WX file is a WX file is a WX file...

If it'll import it for the basic cruise stuff, it'll be able to process it for the DES FORECAST.

People are really over-thinking all of these new features...

Kyle Rodgers

Hi All

OPUS weather can now read the new T7 wx.pln file

OpusFSX Beta Version 3.49.8

Upgraded PLN flight plan decoding to allow departure and destination to be specified outside the usual listed waypoints making it compatible with PMDG 777 generated PLN files

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

I have one short question:

When you do this as John described will ASN show you your flight plan? Quick yes/no will.

Thanks!

When PMDG 777 SP1 loads the .rte flight plan created by PFPX, it automatically creates and loads a flight plan in FSX format (.pln) to FSX

A small mistake here. Based on the screenshot of MENU > PMDG SETUP > OPTIONS > SIMULATION you provided, SP1 will only create an FSX flight plan (.pln) file but will not load it into FSX.

You have to set the option in L3 to "create and load in FSX".

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Does the ASN route import work across a networked setup?  My workflow has been to run PFPX and export to PMDG777 and the PMDG weather folder, then run ASN and import the route, and then work with the FMC to load the route, winds, etc.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Does the ASN route import work across a networked setup?  My workflow has been to run PFPX and export to PMDG777 and the PMDG weather folder, then run ASN and import the route, and then work with the FMC to load the route, winds, etc.

Mark

I have my ASN running across a network and all is running fine so it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

Does the ASN route import work across a networked setup?

Yes.  ASN knows where the FSX directory.  You told it where this directory was when you set it up following their guide for networked setups.

Kyle Rodgers

Great, can I load the .rte file created/saved by PMDG's FMC?  Why do you say export instead of import?

Please point me to this thread or how to export/merge the default FSX weather with PMDG's .rte file.

Thanks, Harry

You don't need to export default FS weather. The .rte file contains only flightplan (navigation data). FS weather is read automatically once there is no other weather source.

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================