Sign in to follow this  
vanzunator

Brief workflow tutorial: PMDG 777 SP1 Company Datalink function with PFPX + Active Sky Next (ASN)

Merci Camille....

Regis Biassala 

When you've received the des forecast message, to go VNAV and page 2 or 3. click on DES Fore... and request, then load

It 's page 3 of VNAV. And you don't need to request it, just load it.

Been playing catch-up with the 777 updates and all the new integration and your thread was very helpful!  Thanks!

Hi !

it's working fine for me here. Thank you a lot for sharing this knowledge with us. This is quite nice mate :rolleyes:

Patrick Sourrouille

Nantes 44

France

Assuming you have no active PFPX weather subscription or if you prefer to use ASN weather in PFPX, open ASN and choose WX Configuration > Save Weather File. That saves a global weather file that PFPX can use in the next step for proper route and fuel planning.
Does the quoted workflow step apply to all PMDG aircraft or is unique to the 777? I have both a subscription to PFPX weather and ASN is installed.

Hi John J,

When all the discussions have died down, perhaps you would consider creating a document for the AVSIM library that would encompass answers to the most important queries raised by the others?

Excellent work!

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Another perfect example of people over thinking the simple & making things more complex than they ought to be ....

Top Tips:

#1 Use PFPX AS IT WAS DESIGNED - with the bought & paid for WX subscription. It can realistically simulate for YOU the actions of the flight planner/dispatcher from the get go & it can provide you with hard & electronic versions of your mission with graphical illustrations should you require them. It will also simulate the uplink of the flight plan into the aircrafts navigation system & provide you with inflight wind uplinks as you proceed down your route. These wind uplinks will reflect real wold changes based on the same prediction models used by flight planners & dispatchers in the real world.

#2. ASN is a dynamic weather engine simulation - it does a fair job at recreating weather conditions around the planet in a dynamic manner. Turn on ASN, leave it running in the background & leave it well alone to do it's own thing without throwing anything like a flight plan at it (especially relevant for those of you using a single PC as it is one less load on the processor).

In the real world the various flight dispatch/flight planning software programmes are NOT directly linked into the real world weather & vice versa.

These programmes provide a PREDICTION of what the weather & wind wil be doing in the near future & while they are pretty accurate they are not 100% perfect.

Weather is by nature a dynamic beast - this is where the dispatcher/planner & the aircraft commander earn their pay.

By not allowing for this important aspect you are missing the point of using tools such as PFPX. You might be pleased with the results.

It's called Proffessional Flight Planner X for this very reason.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

'Proffessional' my bad - Professional ... damn iPads.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Hi guys,

first thanks for the useful tips. I use PFPX, TOPCAT and REX Essential Plus Overdrive in a network (client). I import my flight plan in .rte format and upload it in the FMC. This works without any problems. Now I want to take the performance data in the flight plan (refueling, CI, payload). Is this possible with the Data Link?

If I want to import the weather data with REX, which should also work?

many greetings
Tobi

ASN was on some version before 5410 updating the wx.pln on the move and showing the flightplan as it went along.Now it sometimes get stock during a waypoint that already has been passed.also On my system it does not load the wx.pln automatic anymore. Other than that my network ASN is working fine.wind request also works in the pmdg777 allhough it does sometimes not match the briefing page in ASN.maybe an update is not being sent frome ASN ?Also does the 777 update the wx.pln on the move as i suspect it did before one version or another.? Automatic pln enabled in ASN and 777 is setuped.

Thanks Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Hi,

a couple of notes:

- The T7 during a flight constantly creates flight plans to all the possible alternates. ASN detects this as a "special" flight plan and does not proceed to "fully" load it. It just calculates the forecast conditions along the waypoints of this temporary flight plan and returns it to the T7. The briefing is not updated, nor is ASN map. Pre-ASN-SP1, this worked differently and caused many problems (brought down performance, led to map inaccuracies etc). The only way to realize that ASN auto-loads the temp T7 plans is to check ASN log as a log entry is added each time ASN parses this temporary T7 flight plan.

- ASN considers the first flight plan loaded as the "main" one, so this will update the map, briefing etc. There's no way for ASN to detect that for example you actually diverted to an alternate and thus to update its "main" flight plan (map etc). This has to be done manually (but it's optional).

- It has been mentioned before that no flight plan should be loaded to ASN at all. This is not recommended, the main reason being that you may get destination inaccuracies in some (not so rare) cases, but also that this way you will not use a significant part of ASN functionality providing dynamic weather info updates (e.g. you will not be able to use 122.05 that may give you e.g. aural warnings about thunderstorms along the flight plan route beyond the radar detection range, airmets, windshear alerts etc).  The performance impact of loading a flight plan to ASN is minimal (once the initial flight plan loading is complete). 

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Turn on ASN, leave it running in the background & leave it well alone to do it's own thing without throwing anything like a flight plan at it (especially relevant for those of you using a single PC as it is one less load on the processor).

Throwing the flight plan at ASN isn't an extra burden on resources. It's designed to use a flight plan to help focus its resources.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Great thread. Couple of questions. 

1.) I am using Prepar3D with the new PMDG 777 for the sim. 

2.) My work flow consists of using PFPX for flighting planning with ASN active for weather data and then exporting it to PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS, PMDG\WX, and Prepar3D V2 Files.

3.)  I load the flight plan into the FMC of the PMDG 777, I select Wind Data Request and input the data. 'W' pop up and show the wind information.

Questions:

1.) When ASN is live and connected is the WX file updating at the ASN update intervals? 

2.) If this is the case and when in mid-flight when I select Wind Data Request again will it update this data?

AMD Threadripper 1950x 16 core, 32GB of RAM, SSD, Liquid Cooled.